PEAK

Thread: AW Black Label 25540 reading 2.85 volts is it safe to recharge?

Hybrid View

Default AW Black Label 25540 reading 2.85 volts is it safe to recharge?

I have 6 AW Black Label C cells that I basically never use. They have been sitting for about a year without being charged. I am recharging the others.

One cell reads 2.85 volts. Can I recharge this cell safely?

Default Re: AW Black Label 25540 reading 2.85 volts is it safe to recharge?

I went ahead and charged it anyway and it was fine.

Yeah, that should be fine. The problem area is somewhere below 2.50 Volts. Some say lower than that. Most protection circuits trip around 2.50-2.75 Volts. It's not good for LiCo cells to be discharged to that low a level on a regular basis though. I realize this happened due to storage, but just the same......

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 45/70 View Post
    Yeah, that should be fine. The problem area is somewhere below 2.50 Volts. Some say lower than that. Most protection circuits trip around 2.50-2.75 Volts. It's not good for LiCo cells to be discharged to that low a level on a regular basis though. I realize this happened due to storage, but just the same......

Dave
    The funny thing is when I tested the voltage of all the cells before charging and that one read 0.00 volts. I assumed the circuit was tripped so I popped it in the charger for a couple seconds to reset the circuit. Thats when I got the reading.

So I don't know if it self discharged down to that ~2.5 and then rebounded to 2.85.

As far as I know I only used that cell (I have them numbered) with a KL3 head but not for long anyway.

Well, in that case, It'd probably be a good idea to watch the behavior of that cell for a while. Protection circuits don't normally trip during self discharge. The current level has to be at some higher level, which self discharge doesn't possess. This is one of the less "protective" features of protected cells.

Since you're not really sure why the OC voltage was zero, before you put it on the charger for a few seconds, it's possible that the cell could have self discharged to zero Volts. As I said, protection circuits don't generally trip from self discharge.

If the cell doesn't seem to hold a charge well, or gets warm when charging, I'd consider it suspect and replace/recycle. My hunch is, you're probably OK though. Just keep a close eye on it.

Dave

I plan to.

Thanks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 45/70 View Post
    If the cell doesn't seem to hold a charge well, or gets warm when charging, I'd consider it suspect and replace/recycle. My hunch is, you're probably OK though. Just keep a close eye on it.

Dave
    Out of curiosity, how warm is too warm? I have some 18650s I salvaged from a laptop that get "warm" near the end of the charge cycle. When I say warm, I mean about as warm as a sleeping cat's belly (only universal comparison I can think of...everyone knows how warm a kitty belly is ).

Next time I'll get my IR thermometer out and measure them.

--flatline