Swiss Army Knives

mmace1

Enlightened
Feel free to yammer on about your favorite knife ;), but I had one specific question about the usefulness of the combo can/bottle opener:

On some models (Compact, original Yeoman, etc.), there is a combination bottle/can opener, example on the Compact:
http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1000/1.3405

Instead of the more typical separate bottle opener and can opener attachments.

Like say, on this model:
http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1000/1103/1.3703

For those who have used both - how well does the combo tool do as compared to having a separate bottle and can opener...? I going to buy a knife for traveling (checked luggage obviously), and you know...decisions decisions...

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
What sort of things do you find yourself prying?

Sidenote: thanks to the mod for moving this to a more appropriate forum. I didn't realize this one existed...spent all my time in LED flashlights.

Last edited:

spankone

Enlightened
its not as quick to open bottles or cans but it still opens bottle and cans so if you want a compact knife that you dont use the can/cap lifter all the time then its great. in fact I've got a compact and its my fav sak is slim but a great knife

mmace1

Enlightened
OK, thanks. Mine wouldn't be for all the time usage, just while traveling.

I assume popping bottles can't be very difficult either way...

Cans...eh...it's nice to have the functionality, if I'm ever traveling and really want to try some odd canned food...(who knows?), I can probably sacrifice an additional minute to get to it...

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The very first SAK that I ever bought was a Wenger. The second one I have ever bought was a Victorinox. I ended up giving the Wenger away and have never bought one since. Has Wenger quality improved since they were bought out by Victorinox? I think I've bought as many Victorinox SAKs as all of the other knives I've ever bought combined. Too bad I've given a few away and lost a few or else I would have quite the collection.

I EDC a black Victorinox classic on my keychain, a Victorinox money clip, and an older Victorinox Explorer.

I just looked on Victorinox's website and see that they have the One Hand Sentinal Clip. Does anyone have one of these? How long is the blade? I really like the way that one looks and it might be a better EDC knife than the Kershaw Ken Onion Centofante that I'm carrying now.

mmace1

Enlightened
Wouldn't the lock blade on the sentinel introduce some legal concerns? At least outside of private property. And it's black...so that much 'scarier' looking and thus more likely to get one into trouble...

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The liner lock should not be an issue. The Centofante is a liner lock but it is small with a 2" blade. I noticed that the handle on the Sentinal is a little bit over 4" so that would make it a bit large to carry at work and, yes, the black scales would probably raise an eyebrow or two. I almost always wear black pants/trousers so it would blend in better until I pull it out to use it. The Centofante that I'm using now is a dark burgundy red so it is probably the best for carrying while at work. That and its relatively small size.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sort of things do you find yourself prying?

Stuck jar caps, removing car wiper arms, just random small stuff.

The very first SAK that I ever bought was a Wenger. The second one I have ever bought was a Victorinox. I ended up giving the Wenger away and have never bought one since. Has Wenger quality improved since they were bought out by Victorinox?

The new ones with evo scale are very nice and on par with victorinox.

Wouldn't the lock blade on the sentinel introduce some legal concerns? At least outside of private property. And it's black...so that much 'scarier' looking and thus more likely to get one into trouble...

Depends on where are you. Mind you the liner lock on vic is reversed, more suited for lefty. I have an OHT for a while and it's still a pain to unlock with right hand.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an OHT for a while and it's still a pain to unlock with right hand.

I haven't had that much trouble with the OHT's backwards liner lock. I guess it's slightly more awkward than a regular lock but it's still easily done with one hand.

As to color concerns, there's one (that I have) with OD green and black hard rubber scales.