Why is my Wee more magnetic than my Raw

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, got my lummi Wee this morning and noticed the the magnets that are included with the cell so that it fits in the charger are more magnetically attracted to my Wee than my Raw, both are SS.

I have tried in locations where it is just the SS body and all over including the rim around the front and tail end attract the little magnets a lot more than compared to my lummi Raw in the same areas, I know there are other metals inside them eg battery spring, battery etc but this is just the SS body and head I am comparing.

Is my Raw really SS, does nickle silver attract magnets? or is it just the fact that the Wee has more parts inside that are more megnetic and im just being stupid.

Anyone help or have the same effects on their Lummi's

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are Stainless Steel, Just different grades used by my Machine Shop.
Martensitic or Austenitic are used.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah I see, thought it might have also been down to something like different steels used.

Thanks Rob :twothumbs

entoptics

Enlightened
Different grades of steel have different magnetism. Generally, stainless will be on the low end, and spring steel will be the highest. Some of the stainless steel I run across in our labs is just barely magnetic, and a neodymium magnet will slide right down the side of a vertical surface.

fyrstormer

Banned
Is that just because of the lower iron content in more complex alloys, or a different crystalline structure, or because the non-magnetic alloys actually actively defeat the iron's magnetism?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can beat the original post of two different lights.
My Wee has a huge difference between the tailcap and the body on the same light. If I empty the battery out and hold the empty body to a magnet it hardly even registers. I had to do it a number of times before I could even be sure their was a slight 'pull' on the magnet. Bring the magnet near the tailcap and it jumps off the desk to attach to the magnet and I have to pull hard to get it off. By eye I can't tell any difference between the two parts of the torch but they are obviously made from quite different alloys.
I wonder if I can magnatise the tailcap enough to make it self-sticking ????

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it doesn't. It's got a rubber O ring. This fits around a raised part of the tailcap and when you tighten the thread the battery squashes the O ring until the battery makes contact with the bump on the tailcap.

If it has a metal spring it would be on all the time.