• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

R2H's are gone... Do they come back

PeterB

Enlightened
R2H\'s are gone... Do they come back

Hi Wayne,

I've a question concerning these LED's, since I've missed them this time (I wanted to wait till some other stuff is available).
Do you get them on a regular basis, or are they extremely rare (e.g. so rare that you can not promise that you have some in near future?)

best regards,

Peter

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: R2H\'s are gone... Do they come back

I can not promise that I'll be getting any more. I would tend to believe the trend will continue and we would see better and better LEDs in the near future. I've actually got a large order in with Future and maybe I'll score some reels of R rated emitters. I've rolled the dice. Let's see if I roll double sixes or just plain crap out.

I should know (but can't promise) in another week when I get the order from Future.

Beyond that. I lost one backdoor avenue. I have a few others I'm working on.

??Of course I ask for S rank bins??? Could that be why they slam the door in my face??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Wayne

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

But just becuase it's an 'R' doesn't mean you'll get great performance. Mine wasn't all that good. And even a bit dimmer than my other 'plain' HD 1 watt LEDs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne, two things,

Are you getting any 5w in your next order? Just wondering if there may be some V-bins on the horizon.

Secondly, if you roll double sixes, you did crap out. Two, three and Twelve are craps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

ditto what tyler said. i got sent a U3U in my last purchase instead of the V2T i ordered.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got some of my Future order and I think so far I've rolled a pass. The 5W are U4V. Not very good so far. I fired one up and at least it appears these are not mismarked in a bad way. The one appeared to be white. Not yellow. On all the non reel items, I'm now buying stars. While it is a real PIA, at least now I know what I'm getting or at least what they are marked as. Until I take the magic marker and change the letters that is. Did I mention that they are really W4s...

I ordered some Cyans too. Bumm, I didn't get what I asked for. I got color binned 4 of the 5W Cyans. Yuke, green ones. I'm going to try to get these RMA'd and exchanged.

I hope I do better in the lottery with the 1W HDs. Yes, I'm switching to HDs in this order. If that won't confuse the product mix. Another differentiator. Sorry guys, I will have LDs and HDs in the near future till I run out of LDs.

This is definitely a PIA. I spent a long time setting up this order and negotiated pricing, terms and conditions.

This is one of the reasons I tend to stay away from the 5Ws. They are too expensive for my lottery money.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The good news is I didn't order a zillion of them.

Wayne

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been working hard on making a module fixture, but, I give up. I had two made by a contractor and I got one and gave that to the current local contractor doing the modules.

I've requested the 2nd fixture to be returned to me and if that occurs, I'll schedule a MM+ R2? build and do that hopefully this weekend. The fixture cost me a bundle, but, it makes the module assembly a snap.

I say R2? since I don't trust the Vf code and I've got a small private stock of R2Hs I plan on making modules out of most of them. I've reserved some R2Hs for modules since I have gotten quite a few requests for these.

For a module the increased run time will never be seen in the difference between an H bin or an L bin LED. At least I think this is true. As such the best compromise would be the MM and not the MM+ since you will get a nice bright light with good run time. The other ideal choice (IMHO) is the BB400. Good solid run times and excellent light output.

I think that it makes more sense to make a good EDC and with an R2 Luxeon you can cut back on driving it since it makes up for the difference being more efficient to begin with. IMHO the Q3 is more than adequate for most EDC requirements/backpacking/hiking etc.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne,

I sent you a private email about retrofitting a BB500 that I have with an R2. If you make a run of MM R2's any chance you could also do a BB500? I'd rather just retrofit the one I have (I've neither the tools nor the ability to do it myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) but if I have to buy a completely new module, well, so be it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Jon