PK Design Lab
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Machined Light Housings + Other Hobby Machinists Bicycle Light Services

Default Re: Custom Machined Light Housings

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.su View Post
    What I'm looking for is some side work. Do you have some ideas for a light housing or any other accessory but don't have the tools to manufacture it?
    I can help.
    Hi Michael, I'm looking for someone to do a small machining job. I can't seem to use the PM feature in CPF though, maybe because I haven't posted enough? Could you please PM me with your contact info?

Take care,

Stephen

well, to be honest the middle junction is optional. its mostly there because its a bugger working at the bottom of a tube

In terms of dealing with water ingress, you'd have a few options. depending on how you wanted to handle it. The 'easy' option is to just get happy with gaskets, which are easy enough to cut out of rubber sheet. Gaskets are not super appropriate for the middle joint as you want heat transfer through it. You could also machine lips into each section so the pieces fit into one another, which would also help.

With this build having the mount points in the center, your biggest issue would be with material potentially bowing. Not super likely, but the thinner the end plate material (i assumed 5mm) the more likely it is, especially if you over tighten the bolts. You could redesign it to have mount points in the edges and have less heatsinking without much hassle.

As for light bleed through the front panel, thats a given and theres not a whole lot you can do about it. I personally dont know how you'd protect against water in this design any other way, as you cant trust the optic in that matter, so its gotta be covered. I mean you'll get light bleed across your handlebars, but thats actually somewhat useful.

So what do you think barry, is that a project you'd be interested in having a go at? Or have i inspired a better idea? I'm a do-er, not a talker, so lets get this thing rolling

You guys might want to look at this

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=258699

I have no connection except as a happy buyer and the light works for me.

I DO like Chelboed's small lights the 1100lumens version works for me and if someone in the uk will make them I would be a buyer at the right price. Even just the shell. I can find the parts

well to avoid the upward spill you could step the front of the light and recess the front window.

As for making it out of multiple parts i would suggest that i would have enough projection to get down into the hole, but need to check the dimensions. The star is 20mm but the optics are 25mm in diameter. If you can check them out that would be usefull.

Cool Daddy Administrator

ya know.... you guys are just making my day. Thanks for keeping the spirit of CPF alive and kicking!
    - Darell, the EVnut
    Email me: darelldd -at- gmail - I don't do PM.
    Beer is finally cheaper than gas. Drink, don't drive.

This thread has been revitalized. See post 1.

Bill

Enlightened

I am happy to machine up lights using your designs or something I have already made. I can transfer your drawing to cad to make sure everything will fit. I do not have a cnc but use a manual mill and manual lathe. I can also anodize you parts in red, black, blue, orange, green, yellow, violet, gold or raw.

Here's a few of my latest builds.

Triple XML with h6flex driver

Double XML with h6flex (pre Lflex availability)

Triple XML, same as above but smaller and lighter

triple xpg or xpe

Single XML Manual Focus Aspheric helmet lamp with Lflex driver

Single XMl fixed focus Aspheric with LFlex driver

Last edited by brad72; 08-20-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Here's my personal thumbs-up for brad72's work. He did a small housing for me earlier this year, and it turned out absolutely great. In addition, he shared some design ideas that made the final result way better. I wouldn't hesitate to work with him again.

I've been meaning to get off my $%# and post a build thread in the lights diy section of mtbr dot com... will post here when that exists.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Oh...me too, me too...I wanna play

1100lm:

1100lm:

700lm:

350lm:
    very nice built... do you sell them? any website or thread link?
    am looking for something small, bright and long batt light for helmet mount

See first post. You can PM OP with questions, etc.

Bill

Anyone needing machining let me know. Full time machinist with garage shop for hire. cad cam cnc

thanks

Default Re: Custom Machined Light Housings + Other Hobby Machinists Bicycle Light Services

Don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of battery packs costing more than half of a light kit. This is the reason that I've never bought a decent lamp kit. I like building kits, but there are some realy nice kits with great features and controls out there.

Then I see the cost of replacement batteries. Ugh.

What I really want, more than anything, is an aluminum battery housing for loose batteries! Here's the skinny:

4x18650's
    Cap at one end secures with a single bolt in the center (preferred)
    Both caps tapped with four holes for standoffs for circuit boards
    Cap at the other end... drilled for a cable gland (or two). Extra room under the circuit board for LED driver(s).

Two external taps on the side permit bagless mounting to bars/frame. Good airflow for housings serving as sinks for drivers. Maybe fin the cap at the LED driver (s) end for extra thermal capacity?

Pin or...? the caps so they are installed the same orientation after each battery swap.

Insets for rubber o-rings (cap seals)?

I can draw images this weekend if more detail on what I am thinking is needed.

A void in battery housings has always existed, I am surprised we have come this far, yet no one has stepped up. I just bought the Fenix BT20 because it allows use of loose 18650's. Finally, a non-chinagoods company is listening. There are two plastic housings available from the chinagoods sellers, one even has a thumbscrew cap, but it is 1s4p. I think most DIY's need 2s2p, 4s1p, 3s2p, etc. With one 4x18650 housing kit we can do four battery configurations (1s4p, 2s2p, 3s1p, 4s1p), by etching our own blank boards. And I'm sure someone would step up and provide pre-etched boards, pre-assembled boards, etc.

Thanks for consideration!

David

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Custom Machined Light Housings + Other Hobby Machinists Bicycle Light Services

I've thought about buying ready made 2X18650 series battery holders, gluing two together, then making a waterproof housing for it. It would be plastic, though. 2S2P or 4S is possible with this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    I've thought about buying ready made 2X18650 series battery holders, gluing two together, then making a waterproof housing for it. It would be plastic, though. 2S2P or 4S is possible with this setup.
    I put a 4x holder in a pelican 1020, has room to add a 2x. Easy battery access and very durable, but I want to locate the driver away from the LEDs now without having a fourth housing, and also want to lose the bulk of the pelican.

Sorry, posting troubles...
    Last edited by Flamingtaco; 01-31-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of battery packs costing more than half of a light kit. This is the reason that I've never bought a decent lamp kit. I like building kits, but there are some realy nice kits with great features and controls out there.

Then I see the cost of replacement batteries. Ugh.

What I really want, more than anything, is an aluminum battery housing for loose batteries! Here's the skinny:

4x18650's
    Cap at one end secures with a single bolt in the center (preferred)
    Both caps tapped with four holes for standoffs for circuit boards
    Cap at the other end... drilled for a cable gland (or two). Extra room under the circuit board for LED driver(s).

Two external taps on the side permit bagless mounting to bars/frame. Good airflow for housings serving as sinks for drivers. Maybe fin the cap at the LED driver (s) end for extra thermal capacity?

Pin or...? the caps so they are installed the same orientation after each battery swap.

Insets for rubber o-rings (cap seals)?

I can draw images this weekend if more detail on what I am thinking is needed.

A void in battery housings has always existed, I am surprised we have come this far, yet no one has stepped up. I just bought the Fenix BT20 because it allows use of loose 18650's. Finally, a non-chinagoods company is listening. There are two plastic housings available from the chinagoods sellers, one even has a thumbscrew cap, but it is 1s4p. I think most DIY's need 2s2p, 4s1p, 3s2p, etc. With one 4x18650 housing kit we can do four battery configurations (1s4p, 2s2p, 3s1p, 4s1p), by etching our own blank boards. And I'm sure someone would step up and provide pre-etched boards, pre-assembled boards, etc.

Thanks for consideration!

David
    Interesting concept. You would definitely need some sketches at least to start with. It's not a bad idea to model everything in a solid modeler (even something free like sketch-up would give everyone a better idea) I haven't been doing much with any of this recently, I've been really busy with life the past couple of years...
    The lights that I've made are still alive and being used as often as possible :-)
    I'll help out in any way I can but I don't have much machine time available right now. There are some other people in this thread that have offered up their services also so maybe they are more available.
    As everyone knows, The Chinese stuff is just so cheap it's hard to justify the cost of time and $$ for custom machined stuff unless you really have a game changing idea or you just like to build and tinker (I fall in the build/tinker category )
    shoot me a message if I can help with design. I have software and measuring tools available to me and I also have 18650 batteries for measurements. You will need to figure out the form factor stuff on the circuit boards that you are referring to as well to get a workable concept. I would consider making myself one of these as well for my setups if we can come up with a workable design. I would actually like one with just the batteries so it's a more flexible design when different drivers are needed.
    -Mike

Flashaholic*

Totally agree man, the battery packs and housings currently available are junk. I've seen way too many of them fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.su View Post
    Interesting concept. You would definitely need some sketches at least to start with. It's not a bad idea to model everything in a solid modeler
    -Mike
    I will draw somewthing up this weekend. Don't know if I can use a modeler (old pc's), but I can definately do design blueprints.

I would not consider this something to compete with the chinese stuff. For $20 you can get a plastic box with a single wing-nut to open, just by two if you need an 8v setup. I am thinking of this as more of a buy it once kind of thing, ultra-durable, with the ability to have multiple contact boards so the owner can modify the housing to suit different voltage needs. Not a case for weight weenies, although not neccessarily a tank, either.

Enlightened

I have started to make some 3D printed battery cases to suit 18650 cells. The battery terminals arrived a week or so ago which means I can now adjust the design to suit them. The ones below were a low quality mock up for proof of concept and the case color can be whatever you want. The best part is you can have a 2s1p, 1s2p, 2s2p, 3s1p, or 4s1p, so can cover all flavours.

Double 18650 containers is my second thought, except with sealed external contacts and cases that can lock together to form either parallel connections just by snapping them together. Take as few or as many as your ride needs. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cost is associated with 3D printing at a retailer?

Spent most of Saturday in birthday mode, so spare time Sunday went to spec'ing supply parts and running 20 or so draft revisions through my head. I've got the layout largely worked out, need to go to pen and paper to lay down the fitment.

If the cost of milling aluminum caps turns out to be prohibitive, I can mill them out of ABS and attach heatsinks for drivers.

Ok, here's part of the deal, the bottom cap.It is 2 inch square by about 1.25 inch tall. One large hole for a switch, three smaller ones on the opposite side for cable nuts. The other holes are for bolts. A driver can be attached inside, behind the finned area. I figured on using 2 inch square bar stock since it is easily availabe in small quantities. The top will be maybe 1/2 inch tall, similar in design except no large holes for components. Anyone capable of milling these parts? I would like to get a ballpark on cost before I continue spec'ing the parts in aluminum.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    Double 18650 containers is my second thought, except with sealed external contacts and cases that can lock together to form either parallel connections just by snapping them together. Take as few or as many as your ride needs. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of cost is associated with 3D printing at a retailer?

Not expensive at in terms of material but the initial outlay of the printer is about $1,000. The best part is any design you can draw up in cad, the printer will be able to print. The only design constraints are the wall thicknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    Not expensive at in terms of material but the initial outlay of the printer is about $1,000. The
    I already work with fiberglass, carbon fiber, and resins (larger pieces). Not enough money or time, another lifetime, maybe.

Are you still interested in machining aluminum parts? If not, can you clue me in to approximately what I should expect some one-off pieces of this size and complexity to cost?

Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by Flamingtaco; 02-11-2014 at 07:28 PM.