Olight
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Makai

Default Titanium Makai

Hi guys,

It's been a few years since I worked with a design based on a tighter and more collimated beam; "throw" to most of us. Candidly, the Haiku takes care of most of my outside illumination needs as I rarely go beyond my backyard at night and the Haiku is more than adequate.

However, there are times it would be nice to have a light that can reach beyond the Haiku and certainly the LED's are now up to the task!!

I have been thinking about such a light for quite a while and I also wanted it to be part of the current "family" of my offerings.

I came up with the Makai:

Makai is a Hawaiian term used to provide direction and means essentially "towards the ocean".

For me, it is most likely in and around the ocean that I will use my Makai. With this in mind, I wanted the Makai to be up to the environment just as the other titanium lights I offer.

With a large diameter reflector (38 mm) One of my first concerns was the window material. I bit the bullet and went with a sapphire window that is a beefy 3 mm thick and diameter of ~ 41 mm.

None of my lights are suggested as dive lights but by design, they should be up to submersion and indifferent to some water. The McClickie paks are certainly the limiting factor in terms of viability when submersed.

If the lights can go where the turtles go, I am satisfied.

The Makai is host to a XP-G LE but unfortunately the LED lead wires require a different exit and mounting location on the MCPCB so XP-G LE's designed for the Haiku are not viable or compatible in the Makai and vise-versa.

Depending on the LE converter, the Makai can be hosted on all three of the McCLickie paks in the current offering:

My original plan and hope was to be able to offer the Makai initially in all of the above assemblies but this was predicated on me having a new buck 3 speed converter on hand which has not panned out. I have a prototype 3S Buck converter but proven and production units are still vapor at this point and I don't have even a reasonable guess on when they might be on hand.

With the prototype 3S Buck, I have been able to do some preliminary evaluations though.

For beam comparisons I used my Haiku XP-G as the bench mark. I adjusted the manual exposure in the shots below to provide a reasonable exposure in the spot portion of the Haiku. This ended up with a much darker image of the field of view than I perceived with my naked eye. (Like I said, my back yard is more than adequately illuminated by the Haiku)

Next up is the Makai with a LE comparable in flux and drive current as the Haiku XP-G so the only real difference is that of the reflector.

And finally, a Makai with LE using proto 3S Buck driving the XP-G at ~1450 mA:

Obviously way too much light in the spot beam and these images are darker than reality. The exposure used really doesn't do the spill portions of the beams justice but that's not uncommon in beam shots and these are marginal beam shots at best.

I hand held the three sample lights 1 meter above a lux meter and measured (conservatively) the following:

Haiku XP-G (660 mA) - 2500 lux
    Makai (1x123, 660 mA) - 10900 lux
    Makai (2x123, 1450 mA) - 18500 lux

I realize that there are other LE's and converters out there that can provide, as I understand it, more current that 660 mA from a CR123 to an XPG-E LED but the 3S converter I work with is realistically at its limit at 660 mA and certainly when powered by a CR123. I am not limited at this current level with the 3S Buck converter and I want to do further tests and thermal evaluation to identify what current level I think is appropriate to target with the 2x123 3S Buck package that I will hopefully offer down the road a bit. My guess is that I can drop the current level down to 1250 mA and not see a significant difference in flux but appreciate a cooler and longer running light.

More pics:

Obviously the real difference here is the reflector, the McR-38-XP-G, which is based on the original McR-38 which had its origin in my first (non flood) reflector offering, the PR reflector (thanks to Pelican! )

It's been a long and interesting journey for me and towards the ocean or Makai, it has been.

If I had all of my ducks (or converters) in a row, I would be following up shortly with a wave of Makai 2x123 lights but given the lack of converters and the pleasantly surprising performance of the Makai on 1x123, I figure I will be adding a Makai 1x123 and/or Makai 2xAA light to the offerings in the near future.

Well enough for an initial post.

Thanks guys!

EDIT 9-20-10

Hi guy, do to thermal considerations, the Makai 6V which uses the buck 3 speed converter has been dropped down in current drive level to 1000 mA on high. This results in a lower flux and greater run time as compared to the original plan at 1450 or 1250 mA.
    Last edited by McGizmo; 09-20-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Spec change on Makai 6V
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Re: Titanium Makai

Beautiful light!! Love that shot of the water trickling down on the Makai.

Thanks.

I forgot to include one other image:

I was in a tide pool taking shots of the light and a big wave came rushing over the rocks and I just had time to grab the light before the washing machine turned on. I snapped the shutter a few times even though I had no idea what was going on down there. I kind of like the air bubbles giving dimension to the beam.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Please Please Please offer these as a head-only w/LE option Don.
    Last edited by brighterisbetter; 06-28-2010 at 11:34 PM.

That's an attractive looking head.

As a strange coincidence I bought an Aleph L.E with SOB1000 and XPG-R5 on B/S/T which arrived today.

I placed it in an Aleph-3 head with a standard McR38. This produced quite a nice beam with no obvious artifacts.

I'm curious as to how the McR38-XPG differs from the standard McR38?

Is the focal length shorter to optimise focus with the XPG? Will this result in a tighter spot than can be achieved with the standard McR38?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

It is just personal preference but, for me, the Makai head looks best as a 1x123. Nicely balanced and quite the pocket rocket, judging from your beamshots.

This looks like another great light!

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post

I'm curious as to how the McR38-XPG differs from the standard McR38?

Is the focal length shorter to optimise focus with the XPG? Will this result in a tighter spot than can be achieved with the standard McR38?
    It's been a while since I did the drawings but as I recall there was very little modification to tha actual focal length of the reflector. Most of the difference is in outside profile and establishing a mating surface to insure alignment of focal point of reflector with LED image. I also started with an Aleph 3 and XP-G LE.

Brighter is Better,

I haven't wanted to confuse the offerings any more than they already are but I have been open to "head only" for a while. That is to say head loaded with LE and just sans battery pack.

+1 for head only, please... That looks great!

I would also be very interested in the head (complete with L.E) only.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Flashaholic

Very nice! I had been wondering if you would ever do a "throwy" light. Also interested in head and LE only.

Very nice indeed. As always I like the styling of the head + a good fit among your current lineup. I really hope you will keep the current level as high as possible with this one....
    Congrats on the new design. I am in for sure!

Way cool light, Bud !
    Doesn't look as big as 38mm would make me believe.
    Looking fvorward to this one in da house
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Oh, that is sweet....Would love to pick up a complete unit.

Enlightened

I would be interested in a complete unit when you are able to offer it. A great looking light and I like the specs you are coming up with. Love the underwater pics and the turtle! Enjoy life and keep up the good work.

Do want!

I'd love either 1x123 or 2x123...

Beautiful work Don!

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by brighterisbetter View Post

Please Please Please offer these a head-only option Don.
    +1! and soon!

Newbie question - would the 1x123 be ok with 3.7v RCR123?

I'd also be interested in head and LE only option.

Makai Head with LE.

Beautiful Light Don!

Flashaholic*

YES!!! I was wondering where my next McGizmo would come from!!!!!!

1X123 with the clicky pack for me, please!

AWESOME DON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobjane View Post
    Newbie question - would the 1x123 be ok with 3.7v RCR123?

I'd also be interested in head and LE only option.
    That is the normal setup, yes. The other Paks are for 2xAA and 2x123 (or 1x17670, if you can find one that fits).

From the look of it, this light really makes the case for a revised 2x123 Clicky Pak that is specifically bored to hold a 17670, because that's just about the perfect-size Pak for a head this wide. I suspect the 1x123 Pak may be too short for most people to hold comfortably, but until a 3S buck driver is available, 2x123 isn't really an option. I have no idea how much labor would be involved in adding an extra .5mm to the bore-width on the 2x123 Paks, but it may be the more feasible approach, not least because it would allow other 3.7v light-engines to be used as well.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 06-28-2010 at 07:43 PM.

I don't mean to detract from the new offering too much -- certainly the "turbo-heads" have their fans -- but was a compound-lense design (essentially a modified SunDrop) ever considered for the same purpose? Certainly the large reflector gets the job done, and without the pinpoint-precision necessary to align lenses just-so, but it looks like it would rather hard to carry on a belt or pocket. Lenses might be able to do the same job in a package no wider than the Haiku, though probably somewhat longer.

Now your talkin' Don! About time you added some reach to your line up! Great looking light partner.
    -Goatee

I hate you Don... Just when I think I had my finances in order lol
    May have to snap one of these up...

On fyrstormer's point... I too would love a lens type thrower...

This light however... Looks Amazing

I would be down for a single 123 set-up. It looks great
    Once things leave my hands I am not responsible for what happens.

Love the design, and the thought of a head only option though titanium and a huge 3mm thick lens is going to = not for the faint of wallet.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    I don't mean to detract from the new offering too much -- certainly the "turbo-heads" have their fans -- but was a compound-lense design (essentially a modified SunDrop) ever considered for the same purpose? Certainly the large reflector gets the job done, and without the pinpoint-precision necessary to align lenses just-so, but it looks like it would rather hard to carry on a belt or pocket. Lenses might be able to do the same job in a package no wider than the Haiku, though probably somewhat longer.
    The Makai is what it is. It is a "thrower" relative to the rest of the present line up and that was the intention. I am not familiar with what optics might be available off the shelf for the XP-G or if such an optic could accomplish the same type of beam and spill profile I get with the 38 mm reflector and yet enjoy a smaller diameter. I don't think there is such an animal out there but the point is moot. This design is a done deal and not based on what might be available or what might be possible.

What the beam shots presented don't illustrate is the strength of the spill portion of the beam from the Makai and this is something that I am not willing to sacrifice. In the beam shots, there is a toad on the lawn and he didn't move much during the time I needed to get the three shots. I suspect there are good dedicated "throwers" out there that will easily surpass the range of the Makai but they may not illuminate Mr. toad in the foreground and that could be a problem for Mr. Toad if you were headed his way.

One of the things that bothered me back when we were putting 40 - 80 lumen LED's behind reflectors such as the one in the Makai was the weakness of the spill of the beam. Now that we have LED's capable of flux levels like the XP-G the spill can reach out there much better and can be quite useful in its own right. I believe there is real utility in such a beam pattern but it is certainly not the only option nor is it the best choice for many applications. I think the XP-G has enough flux (even under driven) to merit its coupling with a reflector like this one. I state this as opinion not fact, and others are entitled to their opinions and I won't contest them.

For me, this is your most exciting offering in quite some time. I believe the beam pattern will be very useful, looks great in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    ...I think the XP-G has enough flux (even under driven) to merit its coupling with a reflector like this one....
    What is the Flux from the XP-G Driven @ 660mAh compared to the 1450mAh?

Yay! 420th post... *runs off to celebrate*
    Last edited by Moka; 06-28-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Flashaholic

Party Re: Titanium Makai

Looks awesome Don
    I want one also

Makai (1x123, 660 mA) - 10900 lux
    Makai (2x123, 1450 mA) - 18500 lux

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast