Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Makai

Default Re: Titanium Makai

The Makai looks awsome, your lady friend looks awsome and that is way cool to hang on the beach with sea turtles.

Are the Turtles all over the beaches there? I find that very interesting that they are not freaked by people.

When is the 3S Buck converter and 2x123 body comin out?

Don,

You should be hired by any advertisement firm in the world, Your photo skills are second to none. That young woman shows off your flashlight like no other.

I look forward to the sales thread.
    I'm looking for a Mac's Customs Tri-EDC in either aluminum or titanium. The only must is that it is bored to accept an 18350. Emitter type and clip are not important.

Until this year, I had only seen one turtle on the beach and she ended up there exhausted from a males long embrace in rough surf. I suspect the turtles evolved with beach basking as part of their routine but enter man and his appetite for turtles and they have had to refrain from hauling out to the benefit of sun and warmth. Now on a few beaches they are starting to come out. In the water some are obvious non-pulsed around people whereas others dart away immediately. I would imagine same goes on shore but they are completely vulnerable and likely not comfortable around people in most cases. The ban on hunting them here went into effect in the mid '70's I believe so now there are some reaching adulthood that never witnessed people hunting and killing them. Most have likely had good and bad encounters with swimmers.

No ETA on the Buck 3S I hope to get some pre-production samples this month but it's vapor at this point.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi Don,

I'm looking forward to the Makai. Please count me in

Awesome pictures Are those rays a common sight there? It seems like such a snorkeling paradise.
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

Quote Originally Posted by dcaprilia View Post
    Hi Don,

.... Are those rays a common sight there? It seems like such a snorkeling paradise.
    Spotted eagle rays are not real common but towards the end of summer they become more common place in the shallows during mating season. T
    These were little ones; a size I have never seen before.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Ooo Re: Titanium Makai

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post

Yes the whole package

Mike
    You don't win friends with salad!

run4jc,

Thanks!

I received a small number of the Makai heads last week. I anticipate a good portion of the order to arrive within the next week or so. As soon as I have a reasonable number of them, I will start building up some 3V, 660 mA versions and open up the offering for them. I would hope that by mid July that those of you wanting one of these will be in the process of getting one.
    Put me down, I am so in for one of these.

Enlightened

I'll take one too !!
    FS: Microfire K3500R (AUD350), M4 + P7 + Softstart (SOLD), ArcMania X6 (AUD350)

Quote Originally Posted by mikes1 View Post

Yes the whole package

Mike
    Sorry man, can't hunt the turtles anymore.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Don, any plans when strating a wave?

I'm in for one Don. I think I'll wait for the 3S buck converter (10v) as I would like to use 2 x CR123 in a 2 cell tube.

Thank you

David

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Sorry man, can't hunt the turtles anymore.
    Oh well they probably tast like chicken anyway

Mike
    You don't win friends with salad!

Don,

Any chance we could get a beamshot of an Aleph III seoul at the same distance and backdrop (and at around the same drive current)? I think this will help show how much the XP-G shines compared to a similar size package some of us are currently accustomed to.

Cheers!
    Joel
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Another amazing design from The McGizMan!

Don, you are truly blessed with talent, surrounded by gorgeous environment & beautiful creatures (what turtle?)! I'm so jealous, I hate you too!

By the way, is that a frog or toad in your backyard shots? It must've been stunned by the bright lights, haha.
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

I am new to this can someone explain to me the advantage of 3s buck converter compared to the one that will be used in the first wave of Makai's. Thanks!

Hi Joel,
    I can't help you with a beam shot comparison. I have one Aleph 3 but I gutted it and used it as a proof of concept for the Makai program.I altered the reflector for use with the XP-G and it is the only reflector I have left.

flashlight! It's a resident toad who comes out every night on the lawn to feed.

tshirly,
    The 3S Buck converter will be set for a higher drive level to the LED and also require a 2x123 power pak.

Thanks for clarifying that Don. I am in on 3s buck converter 2x123 Makai when you roll them out. Look forward to it.

Don,

Despite having read the thread a number of times I don't seem to be absorbing the facts in the text too well for some strange reason :-)

Are you saying there will be a 3S buck converter 2x123 version ? Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here!

London Lad

From what I understand the first wave of Makai will be single cell 123 then when Don perfects the 3s buck converter he will over the Makai in a 2x123 at a later time.

London Lad,

If there isn't a Buck 3S 2x123 Makai offered, I don't know what I am going to do with all of the 2x123 McClickie paks I ordered and now have, in anticipation of such an offering. However, I have yet to receive pre production prototypes of the final design or been given any hint at how long it will take for the production run to come to fruition.

If I was only going to offer the Makai in the 2x123 format I would not have posted about the Makai at all yet because it is still vapor for all intents and purposes.

However the Makai 1x123 (or 2xAA) is a reality and will be available very soon. The only hold up is me getting some inventory built up which is in processes as I type. Because the 3S buck 2x123 is definitely planned I feel it would have been an injustice to you guys not to mention it when introducing the Makai in the 1x123 format. I am certain that some will choose to wait for the 2x123 as has been commented upon.

The Makai 1x123 with buck/boost 660 mA driver is a reality. The Makai 2x123 with buck ~1250 mA driver is anticipated.

...The Makai 2x123 with buck ~1250 mA driver is anticipated.
    It is never to early to start saving... I'm glad you announced it and I'm glad it'll still take a (little) while. Just be sure to have enough of them ready!
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

London Lad,

If there isn't a Buck 3S 2x123 Makai offered, I don't know what I am going to do with all of the 2x123 McClickie paks I ordered and now have, in anticipation of such an offering. However, I have yet to receive pre production prototypes of the final design or been given any hint at how long it will take for the production run to come to fruition.

If I was only going to offer the Makai in the 2x123 format I would not have posted about the Makai at all yet because it is still vapor for all intents and purposes.

However the Makai 1x123 (or 2xAA) is a reality and will be available very soon. The only hold up is me getting some inventory built up which is in processes as I type. Because the 3S buck 2x123 is definitely planned I feel it would have been an injustice to you guys not to mention it when introducing the Makai in the 1x123 format. I am certain that some will choose to wait for the 2x123 as has been commented upon.

The Makai 1x123 with buck/boost 660 mA driver is a reality. The Makai 2x123 with buck ~1250 mA driver is anticipated.
    OK thanks Don, I understand now.

I'll be up for a 1 x 123 at 660mA just in case you get side tracked by your err.... 'photography' before you get round to the 2 x 123 light :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tshirley View Post
    London Lad

From what I understand the first wave of Makai will be single cell 123 then when Don perfects the 3s buck converter he will over the Makai in a 2x123 at a later time.
    London Lad,

If there isn't a Buck 3S 2x123 Makai offered, I don't know what I am going to do with all of the 2x123 McClickie paks I ordered and now have, in anticipation of such an offering.
    I am certain that some will choose to wait for the 2x123 as has been commented upon.

My intention is to go ahead with an immediate purchase of the Makai with a 2x123 body - run a 3.7 V AW 17670 single cell in it, then if I feel that I need more, see if I can upgrade the light engine when the buck converter is released. I expect that the Makai in the early configuration I have planned will be perfect!

But that's just me....but it's always great to have MORE POWER!

I could be interested in buying the original Makai 1x123 then upgrade to the 2x123 pack and a 3s buck converter. I am a novice to this hobby and wonder if I would be able to do the upgrade myself or would have to send the light back to Don? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I for one most definitely appreciate Don's honesty in the situation!

Unlike the past, I don't have the ability to be buying both versions these days and I am definitely interested in the 1250 mA version.

I now have the ability to start saving, and not buying something that I would otherwise hold off on (unless of cause it was a few months ago then I would buy one now, and later ) until further versions were released.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by tshirley View Post
    I could be interested in buying the original Makai 1x123 then upgrade to the 2x123 pack and a 3s buck converter. I am a novice to this hobby and wonder if I would be able to do the upgrade myself or would have to send the light back to Don? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    You can definitely do this yourself. The light engines screw in and out of the head by hand. You don't really need any tools, but a small flat head screwdriver can be used in your aid. Don's line of Aleph parts are great in their lego-ability and ease of changing things (light engines, heads, body paks, etc.) around. The most critical part is making sure you know which light engine you have engaged in your head. The last thing you want to do is use 2x123 cells on a 1x123 light engine. This will fry the electronic converter in a second and be an expensive mistake.
    Cheers from the McGizmo state.

Thanks maxspeeds!

Flashaholic

Re: Wave Notification Thread

Quote Originally Posted by derangboy View Post
    Re: Wave Notification Thread
    I don't want a Makai 1x123...

... I must wait for a Makai 2x123!!!

I mustn't buy a Makai tomorrow...

... I don't need a Makai right now!!!

I must resist, I have to be strong, there are CPFer who need this light more than me, I mustn't be selfish... must wait... patience... comes soon with 2 cells. May the Force be with me!
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Wish I could play!
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff