DealExtreme        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Titanium Makai

Party Re: Titanium Makai

Tomorrow afternoon Hawaii time or NJ time.

Wink2 Re: Titanium Makai

Aloha Don... I will patiently wait for the 2x123 Makai with the three stage buck converter... on another GREAT design! Thanks for serving the CPF community and GREAT pics too! We just had a beach party on the fourth of July at Cedar Point on the shores of Lake Erie and had our hands full with high school graduates playing "turtle games" in the sand and surf. The weather was perfect and hormones were raging on the holiday weekend. I'm going to send your pic to the guests that attended and remind them that "NO TURTLE GAMES" were permitted on our watch! I used my McGizmos to patrol the beach but those damn kids assumed the turtle position in many locations along our six mile beach! Thanks again and I can't wait to get my hands on a Makai! Regards....Karl
    Karl H. Riedel III. Realtor and a WHOLE lot more!

Enlightened

Default Re: Titanium Makai

Regarding 1x123 vs. 2xAA in the buck/boost 660 mA, will there be a difference in lumens/brightness? I'm guessing not because of the buck/boost, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm that.

Also, in general terms, which would have the longer runtime? Not looking for specifics, just theory... Mahalo.
    Last edited by malamalama; 07-12-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light -- Norman B. Rice

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Drywolf View Post
    Hi Don,
    Have you posted the suggested retail price and the CPF member price for tomorrow's offering? Surely that head suggests a $500.00 plus price tag for the retail buyers.

Double oops, some members are asking me to explain the CPF price. We pay full retail and are very happy paying it. Sorry for the mis-information.
    Frank
    Last edited by Drywolf; 07-13-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Hey Don, just curious if the front sapphire glass is AR coated on one/both/none side ?

Come on Don, wake up and post the sales thread ! :-)

Karlheinz3,
    Funny!

Malamalama,
    There should be no difference other than runtime between the 1x123 and 2xAA and that would depend on the nature of the batteries.

Tino_ale,

I didn't bother with A/R coating on these windows. I am not convinced A/R would make any real difference in output and these windows are just too expensive to have them compromised (in perception) by a marred or damaged film of A/R coating on them.

London Lad,
    I am awake but have some stuff to do and want to get wet in the ocean before launching this wave. You guys are kind of scaring me here and I know that once launched, I won't be able to focus on anything else until I have satisfied the first surge.

The Makai is going to be offered as head only and anyone wanting a complete light can simply request either the 1x123 or 2xAA pak in addition to the head. The 660 mA 3S head will be $340 and the pak prices are already established ($170 for the 1x123 and $210 for the 2xAA)
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don't worry Don, I don't need sleep ;-)

Wow, I didn't notice this before, and just saw it because of the wave announcement. A bit beyond my finances right now, but definitely on my want list after I get various situations sorted out over here.

Don, forgive me if I am missing information posted elsewhere, but do you have approximate weights for the Makai head and it's 3 compatible C-packs?

Many thanks.
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Souptree,
    These weights are from my postage scale and there are no batteries included.

Makai Head - 4.3 oz
    1x123 pak - 1.5 oz
    2x123 pak - 2.4 oz
    2xAA pak - 2.3 oz
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Tino_ale,

I didn't bother with A/R coating on these windows. I am not convinced A/R would make any real difference in output and these windows are just too expensive to have them compromised (in perception) by a marred or damaged film of A/R coating on them.
    I'm glad you went this way. I have been myself embarrased by marred A/R coatings and often removed them completely.

One of the things that apeals to me most about this light in looking at pictures, aside from the awesome machining, is the fact that the head looks at home on any of the possible bodies... If Don had made any of the these the only option, one could look at it and appreciate the proportions and design for what it is, without wondering "Gee, what would it look like on a ..." For me, this is a hallmark of Don's designs, and one of the reasons why I appreciate his lights. Form, function and beauty rolled into one. My $.02...

Mine just arrived...

My Makai with 2x123 came Thursday...but this weekend it went to the beach with a friend and visited the Piney Point Lighthouse in Piney Point, Maryland.

Lookin' at the pretty flower....after all, Makai is from Hawaii!!

Sittin' by the dock of the bay...

Hangin' out with a close friend...

Taking a peek at the scenery..

Ooo. jellies in the water..

It says "crabbing" - not "grabbing"..although this beautiful light would invoke a desire to grab it and run!!

The 2x123 pak looks ideal with the Makai. Nice job on the pics!

Showoffs.

Sorry, no flowers or wildlife.

Great pics guys!

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I am liking this one quite a bit!!!

RIDE

I just received my Makai with 1x123 body. I live In Wyoming where it get real dark at night and u need a light with some reach. I have to say I like the beam on this light better than my Haiku XPG. It has more throw so I can see what is lurking but also has plenty of flood. Have to say very happy with this light. For my purpose Makai is a better light for me.
    Last edited by tshirley; 07-19-2010 at 10:02 PM.

I guess I'll take the Haiku XP-G off your hands, then. Wouldn't want you to have too much clutter.

As we all know by now, run4jc takes some great photos and is equally interested in the performance as well as the appearance of his lights. Here is an animation of two of his recent photos, comparing the beam of the Haiku to the beam of the Makai, in real-world usage:

Whoever may be inclined and empowered to re-host this animation in a more official/permanent location has my insignificant permission to do so, provided of course that run4jc also agrees, since he originally took the photos.

Thanks for the kind words, Fyrstormer - and absolute I am happy to allow these photos to be used/hosted!

Thanks for animating them! I've done some animations, but had smaller final images.....this is great.

I use an old "abandonware" program called TakeOne to make animated .GIFs. It's not great, but it's free, and it works, and if there's a limit to the image size I haven't run into it yet.

I was fortunate enough to trade my way into a Makai head, and mated it up with my 2 x AA Ti McClickie pak. What a nice light!!

I knew what to expect, bc I own a Malkoff Hound Dog. However with the Makai running at only 660mA, knew it wasnt gonna be as bright as the hound.

I was pleasantly suprised, the Makai holds its own, much brighter than I expected with awesome throw. And running AA's to boot!

The Makai is something to hold though, it is a gorgeous light! (That could easily bludgeon someone to death! )

Great work Don, as usual.

Hi guys,
    I composed a long, cure for insomnia relating to the Makai 2x123 but it was lost in the ether. To keep it short this time, after finally getting production buck 3S converters and testing them in the Makai with their stock drive level set at 1250 mA I have had to reevaluate the light and reduce the driver to 1000 mA. Simply put, the thermal management provided by the Makai host is not adequate should the light be left on high and unattended for any undefined length of time. I won't build or offer a light that could accidentally or intentionally be subjected to a duration of run time that can be destructive to the LED as well as generate heat in unsafe levels.

With further testing and the use of my FLIR camera for thermal evaluation, it seems that driving the XP-G at 1000 mA on high is reasonable for this design and even at this level some caution must be observed. The light gets hot at the junction of the head and pak if left standing and unattended.

There have been other posts regarding the driving of the XP-G at maximum current and observations of the loss or sag in flux as the LED heats up. This is not an issue for short blasts of a light or if the light has inherent safety features designed to throttle back from a "turbo" mode. The Makai is intended for use on high without undue qualification or restrictions and not with the high level intended for mere short blasts of light.

I am disappointed that the light can't reasonably maintain a good and safe output at the higher potentials available to the XP-G but reality is reality.

I am going to build up some inventory of the Makai heads with the boost converter and I believe I will chose to identify these as Makai 6V. I will be launching a wave of the Makai 6V in the next week or so and it will be offered as a head alone or coupled with the 2x123 pak.

At 1000 mA, the Makai 6V demands less of a single CR123 than does the Makai 1x123 so when used with 2x123, your run time will be greater than double that of the Makai 1x123 and you will be generating more light on high than does the Makai 1x123.

Flashaholic*

Hi Don,
    I'm sure I missed this, but I can't find the answer. Will the 6v Makai run on two Li-ion cells 8.4v?
    Thanks,
    Frank

Makai 6V + 2xCR123 Pak. That right there is the cure for insomnia. Guaranteed to be a knockout.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast