• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

BB400 Q3 availability?

dtsoll

Enlightened
I've got some AA mags laying around and am considering a Badboy 400 with the Q3 upgrade. Are these often in short supply as in backordered? I also want a kroll switch and two mineral glass lenses. I'm the type if I have to wait I probably will change my mind, don't like it that way, I just can't change myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It will be my first sandwiche and I hope I'll be impressed. thanks for your time. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, i am not sure how long it will take to get the BB400 Q3...

but i can tell you this: i just got 2 madmax+ and they are INCREDIBLE! they are making 400 lux (at 1 meter)!!!

bite the bullet...place your order...wait patiently...and be amazed when they arrive!

take care.
Bob

dtsoll

Enlightened
Bob,
thanks for the info, do you think I should get the madmax+ instead of the BB400? I know nothing about these, all I know is I want one. Thanks again. Doug

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug,
Buy them both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif I have two BB400Q's and they both are great lights, use them on both of my recumbent bicycles as light to be seen with. The great thing about the pills is the ease of mod and having a "sleeper" light. Looks like a "normal" light until you turn it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
well...

i got the MM because i liked the idea of having them grind the bats down to nothing (0.8 volts, i think). the MM will be brighter initially, but will dim over time.
also, the MM is adjustable: you can run it wide open, or "detune" it a bit to get longer runtime. i am going to detune mine a little.

the BB, i was told, works incredibly well with rechargeables (also works fine with alkies). it is designed so it doesnt drain the bats too far (1.6V), which tends to hurt them. it runs at constant brightness until the bats are pooped.

depends on what you want. i had a tough time deciding as well. either way, i think you will be happy, as long as you match it to your needs.

what are your needs? constant brightness? BB. rechargeables? BB. bright as possible with a little shorter runtime? MM. ability to detune to increse runtime? MM.

good luck!

Bob

dtsoll

Enlightened
Thanks guys! I placed an order for the madmax+ and will mail the money order tomorrow. I can't wait, I've heard great things about these jewels. And besides, these mags are just wastin space here. I like the idea of using the light carelessly and then putting the sandwich in a nice new light after the first one is beat up!! Bob, I will now wait patiently, er, uh, I will try anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
Hmm..I was told in a different post that A MM would not harm nimh batteries. My order has already been placed for the MM. I plan on exclusively using nimh. Dat2zip can you confirm or deny that a MM runs the batteries down to .8V harming them? Please don't tell me I should have bought the Badboy.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MM uses a CMOS controller which is specified down to 0.8V and I've tested it down to 0.5V and below. Not that there is much light coming out at the other end at this low voltage, but, I was amazed at how low the MM can go down to.

No matter which battery technology you choose when the light falls 50% or more, change the batteries. If you continue to use them continously in another 2-10 minutes one of the batteries will reverse. This applies to MM and Badboy.

The demand on the batteries is pretty high and the falloff is pretty steep.

The problem is intermittent usage. The batteries tend to recover and it's hard to determine when the batteries are pooped out. I would recommend using NiMH and just make a regular habit of taking them out and charging them on a regular basis.

Just for clarification. The Badboy falls into moon mode around 1.6V and completely stops around 1.4V.

Madmax will run down to zero basically. (Data sheet is 0.8V) which for a 2 AA setup is well below the 1V/Cell.

Wayne

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
batteries reverse??? If this means what I think it does, this does not apply to single 123 applications?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single 123 will not go thru zero and reverse. This can only happen in multi-cell applications.

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dat2zip said:
The MM uses a CMOS controller which is specified down to 0.8V and I've tested it down to 0.5V and below. Not that there is much light coming out at the other end at this low voltage, but, I was amazed at how low the MM can go down to.

No matter which battery technology you choose when the light falls 50% or more, change the batteries. If you continue to use them continously in another 2-10 minutes one of the batteries will reverse. This applies to MM and Badboy.

The demand on the batteries is pretty high and the falloff is pretty steep.

The problem is intermittent usage. The batteries tend to recover and it's hard to determine when the batteries are pooped out. I would recommend using NiMH and just make a regular habit of taking them out and charging them on a regular basis.

Just for clarification. The Badboy falls into moon mode around 1.6V and completely stops around 1.4V.

Madmax will run down to zero basically. (Data sheet is 0.8V) which for a 2 AA setup is well below the 1V/Cell.

Wayne

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the very quick detailed response. I saw a run time plot around here somewhere, just in case I can't find it again can you tell me how long 50% of a MM Q3's runtime is. I look forward to using your module everyday at work!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I did the runtime plots over a year ago, I used generic Alkalines and 1200mA/HR NiMH batteries. Both ran about 90-120 minutes.

Since then, I've seen others post that the same modules with 2000 and 2200mA/Hr NiMH will give you a solid 4 hours of light.

I actually can't believe this. That's too amazning to me. But, I've seen it more than once.

Here is one of Roy's reviews on the MM+ and down in the thread he has a graph of the original MM.

Roy's review

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
Well My module came today. I had to convince my Girlfriend to let me have it early(it was my birthday present). BUT, I recieved a Badboy 400 Q3 instead of the Mad Max Q3 as stated on the invoice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Also no retaining clip was included, again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Are all modules suppose to come with a retaining clip? Or just Mad Max's? The light's color is great along with the brightness! If a mad Max is even brighter, droool. The question now is shall I just keep the BB as I was questioning my MM purchase(see the above posts concering NIMH batteries). What do you guys think?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
electronics4,
If you want to run NiMH batteries, it is a good thing that you received the BB400Q than the MadMaxQ. I use BB400's in my bike lights and they are great, nice color and brightness.

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
I decided to keep the BB400 Q3. My question about the retaining ring still remains. Was the module suppose to come with one?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The retaining ring is no longer being offered. It worked about 50% of the time.

That's was not good enough for a reliable solution and was dropped.