Ultrafire 18650 3000mA exploded

aurum

Enlightened
Hey ...

just wanted to share a story which was posted few day ago (http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=86475)

Flashlight: Solarforce L1200
Battery: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21474
old version of this charger: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

Paul wanted to charge his 18650 (~1 years old) in his WF-139 charger over night. He almost lost his finger .... His flashlight exploded in his hand. Shows the dangerous side of li-ion batteries. The result:

SFBUM1.JPG
SFBUM2.JPG

SFBUM3.JPG
SFBUM4.JPG

SFBUM5.JPG
SFBUM6.JPG

SFBUM7.JPG
SFBUM8.JPG

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's bad!

Once again it shows that putting high energy lithium batteries in a metal tube with the ends screwed on tight is a bad idea.

I wonder if any production lights properly address the question of pressure relief in the event of battery failure?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~
I hope Paul recovers OK ....... sorry paul .

Quote : v
Paul wanted to charge his 18650 (~1 years old) in his WF-139 charger over night. He almost lost his finger .... His flashlight exploded in his hand. Shows the dangerous side of li-ion batteries. The result:
:End Quote

I am unclear .. you mention Paul wanted to charge his 18650 overnite . But you don't mention if he did infact charge it .

Looks like just the end cap blew off , but we don't know if this happened before or after the cell was charged , if the cell was Over-charged just before use , or if the light was turned on or off when it blew ? Did the thermal runaway start just before the cell was inserted maybe ?
Did he maybe DROP and damage the cell just before insertion ?

Could you please further translate for us if any more details were given as to the procedure Paul followed and what may have caused this event ?

Your Link to the DealExtreme cells shows that THEY WERE NOT PROTECTED CELLS .

More details would be very useful ..... please .

~

Last edited:

XanderH

Newly Enlightened
He charged two cells overnight, then charged the third cell the next day. When all three cells were fully charged he put them in the light and turned it on. It exploded almost immediately.

(Sorry, no full translation, my german isn't that good. ;) )

Tractor man

Newly Enlightened
WOW, I hope you get well soon. That is one hell of a dent in that bowl. I know you got hurt mate but it could of been so much worse, it does'nt bare thinking about really :eek:oo:. I have one of those cells, which I got given and put it away and not used it yet. Dont plan to use it now either. I think it really does pay to buy some good quality cells and be done with it. I know there is a risk with any Li-ion cell, but it should be vastly reduced by buying quality rather than xxxfire :shrug:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

I wish Paul had tested those charged cells with a volt meter to see if they got overcharged ?

Why do folks put UN-protected cells in a MULTI-cell light ?

Will they not work with protected cells ? Does it require IMR cells due to current requirements ?

I don't own any multi-cell lights for this reason !

I'm not a Gamblin man .

All > Solarforce L1200 lights should be examined for possible SHORTING HAZARDS
~

Last edited:

aurum

Enlightened
He charged two cells overnight, then charged the third cell the next day. When all three cells were fully charged he put them in the light and turned it on. It exploded almost immediately.
That is correct ...

I wish Paul had tested those charged cells with a volt meter to see if they got overcharged ?
I think he owns the old version of the charger (this version overcharges unprotected cells). But his cells are the protected version ... He did no test. One (or even more cells) were damaged. His wife noticed something strange the day before. The output of the flashlight was less compared to the days before.

Why do folks put UN-protected cells in a MULTI-cell light ?
The cells are protected. I've put a wrong link here ... I didn't read the description carefully.

Will they not work with protected cells ? Does it require IMR cells due to current requirements ?
The torch works with normal protected cells (he used protected Ultrafire, my mistake)

EDIT: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21474

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is appalling!

I'm SO glad he wasn't seriously hurt.

A very frightening tale indeed.

It often strikes me that we all love to have an abundance of lights, naturally since it is our passion, and that we stockpile batteries to keep them running. Having torches and no batts would be pointless after all. But I have far more Lithium Ion batts than I am ever likely to use, Protected 14500, 17670, 18650 and RCR123A and RCR2 types, not to mention the non protected RCR123A, 14250 and 10180 types. I wear a Raw SS around my neck the whole day every day. I would hate for something like that to happen to me or to one of my children borrowing a torch!

Multi cell Lithium ion lights scare the bejasuz out of me to be frank. Since safety is dependant on the wherewithall of the user, I think I shall be retiring a lot of my 'extreme' torches to somebody with more of a need for them.

I may also take off any waterproofing gaskets and O-rings as well, I hardly ever go out in the rain at night.

BTW he has a lovely pipe collection in the picture.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Well .... since aurum now says that they were indeed PRO-tected cells , that makes it even more baffling !

Did he maybe mix protected with UN-protected ? I wonder what his wife noticed to be strange about the cells the day before ?

Protected cells are NOT supposed to do this thermal runaway thing !

NOW I'm Really wondering what caused this incident !

Someone please explain how this can happen with protected cells ?

Unless the XXXXFIRE cells were faulty , poor quallity control or mis-branded ?

~

nuphoria

Newly Enlightened
Wow, scary story.

My 1st 18650s are on the way to me now, but not the same ones as those thankfully.

What's the easiest/cheapest way to test the charge for a newbie like me?

I think we have a voltmeter around here somewhere :thinking:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the easiest/cheapest way to test the charge for a newbie like me?

I think we have a voltmeter around here somewhere :thinking:
voltmeter/DMM (digital multimeter) is the best way.

Here is some vital info for determining the state of charge for Li-Ion cells.

Resting voltages (no load connected). These figures are approximate:

4.2V = 100%
4.1V = about 90%
4.0V = about 80%
3.9V = about 60%
3.8V = about 40%
3.7V = about 20%
3.6V = empty
<3.5V = over-discharged

aurum

Enlightened
Someone please explain how this can happen with protected cells ?

Unless the XXXXFIRE cells were faulty , poor quallity control or mis-branded ?

I own the same charger (I don't use it any longer) and I ones noticed that the WF-139 still charges the cell even if the LED turns to green. Charging unprotected cells is dangerous with this charger. Second thing I noticed is that the UF 3000mA have a low internal resistance compared to other 18650 ... So it is easier to overdischarge the cells.

I think the PCB of one cell was damaged ... Due to the fact that he has charged the cells the hole night the cells where maybe 4.5V and that's it :poof:

aurum

Enlightened
voltmeter/DMM (digital multimeter) is the best way.

Here is some vital info for determining the state of charge for Li-Ion cells.

Resting voltages (no load connected). These figures are approximate:

4.2V = 100%
4.1V = about 90%
4.0V = about 80%
3.9V = about 60%
3.8V = about 40%
3.7V = about 20%
3.6V = empty
<3.5V = over-discharged

I did this some time ago:

dsci1168__small__F3PseS.jpg

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: NVM, he beat me to it...

It appears you have a typo; In the picture you have it spelled Schutzschlatung, not schutzschaltung.

Last edited: