• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Pocket clips

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone come up with a pocket clip solution for the El Capitan yet?
I'm actually thinking of drilling and tapping some holes in the body ala Ra and trying a D10 clip. Another idea is a clip held on by the key attachment (or switch).

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a homeade para-chord lanyard on my Logan, and a Niteize clip. The clip is hooked to my beltloop, and attach the lanyard to the other end of the clip. The light hangs comfortably inside my pocket suspended from my beltloop. The lanyard is long enough to get my hand thru it and use as normal. I can grab the lanyard and pull the light out of my pocket without actually putting my hand in my pocket. It is easy to unclip the light/lanyard from the Niteize when needed to. The clip stays on the beltloop. This is something to think about as the El-Capitain and Eiger uses the same keyring attachment as the Logan.

whacko

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I have looked at the Modoo clips and they are nice. They are very nice in fact, but I don't think they are $18 nice.

For such a small accessory $18 is just too high a price for me. The Maglite clips I linked to are 50¢ each and are basically identical to the clips that Peak sells for use with their lights. Plus you can position them on the head or tail to fit your preference.

The bottom light is an older 3 LED Matterhorn with the clip PeakLED included with it. Above it is an Eiger with a Mag Solitaire (half inch) clip, and above that is an AA-body Pacific with a Mag Mini (inch) clip.

clips10.jpg

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Are there any custom clips that will fit the 'short flat bottom' / 'pocket body' of the Eiger, Capitan, or Logan/AA series ?

The suggestions for the clip from a Preon or from darksucks.com both have to be paired with the keychain body to work. I have not yet seen the Modoo clip to know if it too requires the keychain body since it is not listed at oveready.com (as best as I can tell)

The suggestion from Whacko is the first one I've seen for a clip that might be compatible with the type of body I mentioned in my first sentence. However, out of the three series I mentioned, the Eiger is the only one of them in that picture. i.e., I wonder if any Maglite clips are compatible with the diameter of the body of the Capitan and Logan/AA

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Are there any custom clips that will fit the 'short flat bottom' / 'pocket body' of the Eiger, Capitan, or Logan/AA series ?

The suggestions for the clip from a Preon or from darksucks.com both have to be paired with the keychain body to work. I have not yet seen the Modoo clip to know if it too requires the keychain body

The DS clip design is based on the Moddoo clip design. They have the same mount restrictions, requiring the longer body's attachment socket. Attaching to a shorter body would require a new clip ready body.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Thank you both for your help

I have two follow-up questions.

(1) Was the Modoo clip discontinued because of a drop in customer interest in a clip for the keychain body ? To put it another way, in general is there not much interest among Peak customers in clips ?

(2) Regarding using the DS clip with the keychain body, can the clip be used regardless of which tail (keychain or momentary) you screw in to the keychain body ?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
(1) Was the Modoo clip discontinued because of a drop in customer interest in a clip for the keychain body ? To put it another way, in general is there not much interest among Peak customers in clips ?

Tom made the first batch of Logan clips at my request. They were labor intensive but possible because he was less busy back then. They've been sought after (and demanding premium prices) since. Making more now, requires finding and training (to our standards) a steel working shop, something Tom is now working on.

(2) Regarding using the DS clip with the keychain body, can the clip be used regardless of which tail (keychain or momentary) you screw in to the keychain body ?

The Peak keychain/momentary setup was not designed to accept clips. But both configurations support clips, with one caveat: The extra spacing introduced, changes the spacing on the momentary switch, affecting switch operation - the switch is now further from the battery.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just discovered Today that the clip for a Zebralight H502 snaps into the grooves on a Logan like it was made to!
They sell them on the ZL site for $2.95 and though they may pop off on their own I can get a bunch of them before paying for a single custom clip,if I can even find one I like?

Sorry no pic.

Ed

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Great discovery
icon14.gif
The reason I ordered a keychain body instead of a pocket body for the Logan is because of the current unavailability of a clip option for the pocket body; the shorter length of the pocket body would have been ideal for us. Since I

"[it] snaps into the grooves on a Logan like it was made to! ... and though they may pop off on their own ..."

(1) Do you mean that initially the ZL clip snaps on like it's a perfect fit but then later on comes off by itself ?

(2) Also, since I don't know if the Logan CR123 body is the same diameter as the Logan 17500/AA body, can I ask which Logan you tried the ZL clip on ?

Last edited:

Coup de Grace

Newly Enlightened
Great discovery ! The sole reason I ordered a keychain body instead of a pocket body for the Logan is because of the current unavailability of a clip option for the pocket body; the shorter length of the pocket body would have been ideal for us.

"[it] snaps into the grooves on a Logan like it was made to! ... and though they may pop off on their own ..."

Could you clarify please a part of your post ?

Do you mean that initially the ZL clip snaps on like it's a perfect fit but then later on comes off by itself ?
I think it works the same way as any tension mounted clip. It can come off if you place enough tension on it. The ZL only has to be the same diameter as the Logan for the clip to possibly work.

jorgen

Enlightened
I use the clips from cheap, no name tactical SS pens that can be purchased on ebay for about $10. They usually fit the keychain attachment screw of Eiger, El Cap & Logans although on some types I have to enlarge the opening a bit with a rotary file.