• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

MM vs. BB vs. Opalec vs. Inretech vs..... help me!

Technician

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I need some help picking my next light, and I have a lot of questions. I hope you guys can help me out. First, a little background:

I currently own a standard mini mag with the Opalec Newbeam conversion. I absolutely love the regulation, the runtime, and the quality of light. It has served me faithfully for quite a while, but abuse has taken its toll and it's time to pick something new. The inner black plastic retention cone thing (that replaces the standard mag reflector) cracked in half, and while trying to fix it, i broke it even more. It's all superglued back together now, but i somehow managed to scratch up the lense AND the top of the LED's in the process. I was not having a good day. I bought a new mini mag today at Target (my current one was pretty beat up on the outside too), and I now need to decide which LED conversion to put into it.

I use my light every day at work, and expect it to take a lot of abuse. You will seldom find someone who puts their light through so much. I expect it to withstand a fall onto solid cement from 20 feet without batting an eye. This is why LED's are so important to me... you won't believe how many standard incandescant bulbs I went through before I got the Opalec.

I work as an arcade technician, and frequently have to make electrical repairs in a cramped dark environment. Beam quality is important so I can tell which wire is "black" and which is just really "dark blue". A pure white beam is very nice for this sort of thing. A fairly wide beam (like the opalec) also helps when your light must be inches away from your work. I have grown used to having a regulated light, and like it very much - but I haven't eliminated the MadMax from consideration either. Battery life is a consideration, but not hugely important. I get free AA's from work whenever I need them, so it doesn't bother me all that much. Although I do tend to have my mag running for hours at a time. I do not want something that will crap out on me in the middle of a repair.

With that said, what do you guys think I should consider? I've been looking at the MadMax+ and the BadBoy and don't really know as much about them as I would like. So here are some questions:

1.) How is the runtime on these? Is it comprable to the Opalec?

2.) How does the regulation on the BB work? Does it regulate as much as it can and then switch over to direct drive when the batteries are low like the Opalec, or does it just cut out?

3.) Do the sandwiches come with everything I need (aside from the mini mag) to have a fully working light? Or do I need to buy o-rings and adaptors and tailswitches or all this other stuff I keep hearing about?

4.) I also keep hearing about shipping delays and such. If I ordered today, how long would it be before I have one of the sandwiches in my hand? If no exact timeframe, then how about ballpark... days? weeks? months?

5.) The mineral glass lense... How strong is it? Would it be okay if I dropped the mag a lot, or hit it against something? I understand if the lense wouldnt survive a direct hit, but what about a hit to the body of the mag? Would the shock kill it?

6.) Should I just say screw it and get another Opalec Newbeam? I know its a good kit, but i've been dying to try a Luxeon Star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really appreciate you taking the time to read all of this, and I would like some input. I take my flashlights seriously! Thanks in advance for all the help.

-tech

P.S. I have read a lot of other posts, and the stickied threads. None of them seem to address the specifics of my needs, so i'm hoping that someone who has hands-on experience with these lights can help me out. I understand you all probably get tired of the "which light is better" threads, and i'm trying not to be one of those. So just point me in the right direction if my questions have already been answered elsewhere. Thanks again guys!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
First let me address the shipping delays. I think the shoppe is nearly full of all current products. There are a few remaining and these should be in hopefully next week at the latest.

Runtime. The Opalec beats all the modulles that are sold at the Shoppe. This is for the simple matter that the MM and BB modules are more watts which translates to lower run times.

A good light that is plenty bright would be the BB400 or the regular MM. I would not recommend the MM+ as this is for the extremist who want the absolute maximum light.

Either MM Q3 or the BB400 Q3 would be my recommendations. I'd also suggest the Sapphire glass as this is nearly impossible to break and is much stronger than the mineral glass. While I haven't heard of anyone having the mineral glass break.

I think you will be more than impressed with any regulated or semi regulated Luxeon light. The current LEDs are getting better and better over time.

Since I make them, you probably could say I'm biased. As such, I'm sure others will post additional suggestions and information.

Wayne

Tomas

Banned
Re: MM vs. BB vs. Opalec vs. Inretech vs..... help

Good solid answer, Wayne, whether you make the modules or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My two favorites in that class of light are the Opalec Newbeam and the BB400. The BB puts out a lot more light at the expense of a shorter runtime. It also gets quite a bit warmer when run for long periods.

Myself, I use two AA lights and grab one or the other depending on need. Most of the time it's the Opalec because it's usually enough for most simple tasks and has a nice, long runtime with excellent regulation.

If I know I'm going to need more light, I'll grab the BB400 (with a tailswitch).

Both are excellent and reliable performers, and I recommend them. You will have to decide which is best for your needs.

Of course, the real solution is "Buy them both!"

Oh! Welcome to the zoo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've not had a BadBoy 400 yet, but I would recommend it for your needs. The BadBoy would have longer runtime than the MadMax. I think the runtime is a bit under three hours.
It comes with everything you need for the conversion, and would take about one minute to do it.

The parts included in the kit: BadBoy sandwich, NX05 colimator, and O-ring.

You will:
1. Remove the head, and the lens retaining collar from the head.
2. Remove the reflector.
3. Put the O-ring on the lens.
4. Put the colimator on the O-ring.
5. Screw the lens retaining collar back onto the head. The head is now ready for installation on the barrel.
6. On the barrel, remove the switch. Pry off the part that's labeled "Do not remove". When the tailcap & cells are removed, the rest of the switch will drop out from the bottom of the light. Be careful not to lose the negative contact from the switch.
(Snap the switch parts back together, and save them, in case you ever experience a severe head injury, and want to use the stock Mini-Mag bulb again.)
7. Drop the sandwich in, and screw the head back on.
8. Install you Kroll switch. Don't look into the light, it is quite a bit brighter than an Opalec.

You should definitely get a Kroll switch from the Sandwich Shoppe, when you get the BadBoy.

I have a MadMax+, and it would be too bright for use a few inches from your work.

I would also recommend a Streamlight Septor 7 LED headlamp for what you are doing. It is dimable to 1, 3 & 7 LEDs.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since you want a wide beam, you probably want the McFlood reflector instead of the NX-05 optics. The McFlood puts out a very wide, very smooth beam.

One other thing worth mentioning: the opelec, since it has three light sources, casts slightly fewer shadows. The three LEDs aren't spaced out enough to fill in all shadows, but you do get a bit less severe contrast. It's a little bit "softer" light for lack of a better word.

Entropy

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Technician said:
1.) How is the runtime on these? Is it comprable to the Opalec?

2.) How does the regulation on the BB work? Does it regulate as much as it can and then switch over to direct drive when the batteries are low like the Opalec, or does it just cut out?

3.) Do the sandwiches come with everything I need (aside from the mini mag) to have a fully working light? Or do I need to buy o-rings and adaptors and tailswitches or all this other stuff I keep hearing about?

4.) I also keep hearing about shipping delays and such. If I ordered today, how long would it be before I have one of the sandwiches in my hand? If no exact timeframe, then how about ballpark... days? weeks? months?

5.) The mineral glass lense... How strong is it? Would it be okay if I dropped the mag a lot, or hit it against something? I understand if the lense wouldnt survive a direct hit, but what about a hit to the body of the mag? Would the shock kill it?

6.) Should I just say screw it and get another Opalec Newbeam? I know its a good kit, but i've been dying to try a Luxeon Star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really appreciate you taking the time to read all of this, and I would like some input. I take my flashlights seriously! Thanks in advance for all the help.

-tech

P.S. I have read a lot of other posts, and the stickied threads. None of them seem to address the specifics of my needs, so i'm hoping that someone who has hands-on experience with these lights can help me out. I understand you all probably get tired of the "which light is better" threads, and i'm trying not to be one of those. So just point me in the right direction if my questions have already been answered elsewhere. Thanks again guys!

[/ QUOTE ]
1) About 1.5-2 hours depending on which specific module. The BB400 will have the longest, around 2ish. A BB400 with an R2H would probably last longer, but R2H binned Luxeons are rare.

2) It will cut out fairly quickly I believe. I have yet to have mine fall out of regulation, because I'm pretty diligent about throwing my NiMHs on the charger.

3) Depends on how you define what you "need". The Kroll clickie tailswitch and McFlood are not necessary for a working light, but they are EXTREMELY popular. The Kroll switch is worth every penny, and so is the McFlood.

4) See dat2zip's post. Note that some items (Specific-binned Luxeons, for example) are more likely to have shipping delays than others. I received my BB400 in under 5 days, and that included shipping across the continent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5) See dat2zip's post - I'm still using the stock MiniMag lens.

6) Never ask an "either/or" question on CPF. The answer will always be, "Buy both". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If you were happy with the output of the Opalec I would stay with the Opalec. No MiniMag mod will match the Opalec for runtime. In a worse case job, the Opalec would last an entire shift if it were turned on at the beginning of the shift and left on till the end of the shift. I'm not sure about the hardness of the UCL lens, but it only has a 1% light loss. The Kroll switch is nice to have.

If you need more light than the Opalec generates, then any of the LS mods for the MiniMag will work fine. The McFlood reflector will give you a nice even and wide light, great for close-up work.

The Opalecs 9+ hours of regulated light is hard to beat.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I too put my 2AA flashlight through some abuse at work, although with this flashlight it is not intentional.

I believe you would much prefer a BB400Q3/MMQ3 over the Opalec once you have tried them both. For close-up work neither is too bright.

The standard NX-05 optics is plenty wide enough, not even close to a pin point beam. I didn't like the McFlood; it was too wide of a beam.

I like the BB400Q3 over the MMQ3 because the brightness is constant for about two hours. I usually don't notice right away when it dims but when I finally do notice and put in new batteries I'm always amazed at how much brighter it becomes. And if you get free batteries at work, as I do, runtime is not much of an issue. You will get more than 2 hours run time with intermittent use.

I don't use the MiniMag anymore at work because of this. I much prefer the Brinkmann Legend 2AA for a couple of reasons. The first is that the opening for the module to stick up through is larger. Second is that the switch is much better than the Kroll or the Ram, in my opinion. And third the gap between the body and the switch makes for a perfect place to hold the light with your teeth; something I end up doing quite often when I don't have my Septor 7 LED headlamp with me.

I have the sapphire lens in my light at work. It has survived numerous 6' falls with no problems. I have mineral glass lenses in all my other 2AA's. Sapphire glass is more scratch resistant than the regular glass.

You don't need to put a Kroll or Ram switch on your MiniMag. The modules work just fine twisting the head to turn the light on or off. You'll probably just have to clean the surface of the module a little more often to maintain good contact with the flashlight body.

I wouldn't use my Opalec for a work light. It's just not bright enough. You'll spoil yourself WHEN you buy one of Wayne's sandwiches.

Reaper

Enlightened
Yes, the Opalec has definate edge on run-time over BB or MM. I have both (probably like everyone else) and can recommend the modules for brightness. In fact, if you use either the BB or MM in a really dark close up situation, it might be too bright. Light bounce back? For some of my work use(or even going to the bathroom at 1am) too much light is blinding. I love my BB400 Q3L for bright light but sometimes I use the Opalec more for a softer beam. BTW, I have my Opalec in a Brinkmann 3AA for roughly 12+hrs of light plus their switch which I find better than the sometimes troublesome Kroll. Guess I ramble too much.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

BB400/McFlood/UCL/Kroll,
I work on electronics and such and the pure white beam of a Luxeon is great! The light sitting on my bench at work is a Mini-LGI (3AAA direct drive Q ranked Luxeon with McFlood reflector) For the larger equipment in the hospital, the Micro Illuminator on the keychain lights the way.
The BB400 Q3L would be a great mod for the Mag, mix it with the aluminum McFlood optics and it will work great for electonics work. The UCL lens can handle the drops and the Kroll tailswitch will complete your light. If you normally drop your lights, I would not throw away the stock tailcap... never know if you will break the tailswitch off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

UCL isn't available for 2 AA lights. Are you guys referring to the B270?

Technician

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the advice guys. I just placed an order for a BBQ3, with 3 mineral glass lenses (just in case!). And if I don't end up breaking any, i'll just give one to my dad.

I decided against the kroll tailswitch for now. I use a nite-ize holster for my mag, and I want to be able to slide it easily in and out. Twisting the head to turn it on doesn't bother me that much!

Once again, thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know about my impressions when I recieve the kit.

-tech