I bought two used EDC lights today

lovenhim

Enlightened
Hello everyone. I have been in the market for an EDC flashlight and was not sure what I wanted but knew what I could afford. I could afford the ITP A series lights but wanted something like a Quark Mini 123 or Fenix LD01, but they were not in my budget. I looked here for these flashlights for sale, but no good. I checked Ebay, too expensive, so i checked Craigslist. There was a listing for a Fenix P2D, so I looked into it. However that had been sold, BUT I was told the guy had a Quark Mini 123 and Fenix LD01 to sell. He was asking $50 for both of them. I went and got the money from the bank and went to get the flashlights. The bank only gave me $20's so I could give him $40 or $60 he had no change. The man sold them both to me for $40. I am excited and thankful. I have two nice EDC flashlights now.

4753738634_8908f77b47_m.jpg

4753738642_99d48b2a57_m.jpg

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs Nice, and that's a Quark 123 not a MiNi! Awesome deal. See if the 123 is a regular, or tactical.
That person almost has to be a CPF member.

lovenhim

Enlightened
:twothumbs Nice, and that's a Quark 123 not a MiNi! Awesome deal. See if the 123 is a regular, or tactical.
That person almost has to be a CPF member.

How can I tell what the Quark light is? It says on the body 4Sevens Quark 123. The rear mounted switch is a clicky or momentary on and the head of it is stationary. The light either seems to be bright or strobe. When I bought it I thought I was buying the Mini 123 with low/med/hi brightness.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great deal. Congrats on getting two solid lights. Wish my local craigslist would have lights like this listed. I only see rayovacs and shop lights. :sigh:

lovenhim

Enlightened
OK so if it is a Quark 123 tactical, then how do I program it? Mine is bright and strobe only. I see the video on the 4sevens website about turning the head, but I can not get mine to move. Is mine stationary or is it stuck...or am I turning it the wrong way? My tailcap unscrews but I can not get the head to move yet.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad, that's a regular... it doesn't say tactical on it! :duh2:

The head must be sticking. Try wrapping the body and head in rubberbands to get better grip. If all else fails, put it in a ziplock and soak it in hot water for a few minutes.

Last edited:

PapaGary

Newly Enlightened
Mine is bright and strobe only.
Okay: if with the head tightened you get first maximum brightness and then with a partial click the strobe, you have a 123 Regular. With the head loosened you will get moonlight when you first turn it on and it will cycle with a half press through low, medium, high, SOS, beacon and back to moonlight. Loosen that head dude! :D

The head must be sticking. Try wrapping the body and head in rubberbands to get better grip. If all else fails, put it in a ziplock and soak it in hot water for a few minutes.

For a better solution I would try what another forum member suggested for disassembling the head of a Fenix: heat it with a coffee cup warmer (a rather ingenious idea).

Good luck!

Last edited:

lovenhim

Enlightened
OK now I got the head of the Quark 123 loosened up and it will go from its two modes by turning the head. If the head is loose then the light defaults into moonlight mode, but keep pressing the tailcap and it cycles through all its modes. I am trying to get the light into programming mode but I do not get those flashes that the video shows you that lets you know the light is in programming mode. When the head it tight the light is bright and a tailcap press activates strobe only. What am I doing wrong?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have a programming mode on that one. You have a "quark 123 regular". Only the "quark 123 tactical" has a programming mode. That is a great light.

NightKids

Enlightened
OK now I got the head of the Quark 123 loosened up and it will go from its two modes by turning the head. If the head is loose then the light defaults into moonlight mode, but keep pressing the tailcap and it cycles through all its modes. I am trying to get the light into programming mode but I do not get those flashes that the video shows you that lets you know the light is in programming mode. When the head it tight the light is bright and a tailcap press activates strobe only. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe the regulars aren't programmable?

lovenhim

Enlightened
OK so the light is working like it should then? :) So I will just use it and be happy. :) Can you use RCR123 batteries in it or primary CR123 batteries in it? I do not want to fry it. :)

lovenhim

Enlightened
Now that I understand that what I have is the standard version of the Quark 123, I found it on the 47's website and now I know how it works and how to use it. :) Thank you all for the help. I think I am going to love moonlight mode.

NightKids

Enlightened
Moonlight is great for at night when you wanna go to the toilet or something! I'm sure you'll lose the Quark & you would have seen the RRP on the 4Sevens site & realised you picked up a good deal?

lovenhim

Enlightened
Moonlight is great for at night when you wanna go to the toilet or something! I'm sure you'll lose the Quark & you would have seen the RRP on the 4Sevens site & realised you picked up a good deal?

I see where the Quark 123 is $59 and the Fenix LD01 has a price of $42.95. I bought them both used for $40. The LD01 is scratched up and is not pretty but you know what, that is going to happen if you use a flashlight or carry it. I am very happy with both. I do have a question however, the threads on both lights are fine but dry and scratchy and they are very tight when tightened down making them sticky and not smooth to operate, so can I use a light oil or lube on them without harming the o-rings? If so what can I use?

lovenhim

Enlightened
The lights are all cleaned up in the threads and o-rings and very lightly lubed. The move so much more smoothly now, thank you for the help.