RofisLight        

Thread: GTL 18650 Battery Charger Test

Default GTL 18650 Battery Charger Test

Ok lets get the negatives out of the way first ..
    The negative battery tab that slides down to hold the battery on the right side BROKE ! , I played with it all for about one hour , and it busted .

Also those tabs are really binding badly when you try to slip in a battery , very poorly designed .

Left channel terminates at 4.10v , re-inserting the battery and it then terminates at 4.11v , re-insert on more time and it terminates at 4.13v and thats it .. The right channel [ yes the one with the now broken - tab ] terminates at a very nice 4.16v and does not re-start .

With a battery @ 3.98v I measured a charge current of 200mA , and with the battery at 4.05v I measured a charge current of 120mA . Updated3.54v = measured 310mA charge current.

On termination there is a trickle charge of 0.17mA , which is very very small .
    Charge voltage appears to be 0.02v over the battery voltage .
    Open circuit = 5.03v

As can be seen in the picture , I did a little motor tool work , and jerry rigged what was left of the broken tab so I could hook up a battery cradle .
    For $8USD shipped , [ Products should not break - with the broken tab the charger could become dangerous ]

It could be a useful charger , could being the operative word ..
    The sliding tabs need work so that they dont bind , and do they need to break ? 4.13v on the left channel and 4.16v on the right , I could live with that , I need to deplete a cell to find out what charge current the charger starts with , so will update ASAP .

Physically the charger can handle even the XTar 17000 , so at the very least its not battery challenged .
    Last edited by old4570; 07-02-2010 at 07:02 AM.

Flashaholic

Default Re: GTL 18650 Battery Charger Test

That's a shame that the negative terminal broke so quickly. Perhaps your vendor will replace it for you if you tell them about it?
    Various old Fenix models; Zebralight H501w_SC50w+_SC600W; LiteFlux_LF2XT, various Solarforce with XM-L drop-ins.

Default Re: GTL 18650 Battery Charger Test

Quote Originally Posted by pae77 View Post
    That's a shame that the negative terminal broke so quickly. Perhaps your vendor will replace it for you if you tell them about it?
    For 8USD , Im not worried about it , its worth the money just to test the charger , Ive spent more money on faulty drivers and blown LED's and I dont mind spending $8 on a public service announcement .