Interesting trick to preserve your night vision with bright flashlights

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
Here is an interesting trick I just used with one of my LED flashlights that was too bright for using around sleeping people.

I put my thumb over the head of the light and covered it completely so the light was shining through my thumb. This way, it only produced a faint red glow, and made it possible for me to quietly walk past sleeping people to turn down the thermostat in the dark.

It not only reduces the output, but produces a red glow which doesn't ruin your night vision. If you turn on the flashlight while keeping your thumb over the emitter and covering the entire reflector/head, there won't be a bright flash that will zap your night vision.

I'm sure I'm not the first person in the world to think of this, but it sure was useful, and really did the trick.

Give it a try sometime! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way before the days of multi-mode lights, I used to do this same thing with my 2 AA Mini-Maglite when I was moving around in a room at night and I didn't want to wake up members of my family.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done that before too.
I've now toned down level one on my SPY's to a very very low light. It's amazing how little light you need when you wake up at 3 in the morning and there are NO lights on , anywhere.

Azuryu

Newly Enlightened
Ive also doubled up a t shirt before and used it as a filter, but man, you guys are so entertaining sometimes... :popcorn:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a very dim light and cover one eye. Keep it covered while you do whatever it is you need to do. When you return to your bedroom/tent/chamber of horrors/etc., you will find the eye kept closed compensates for the eye you used to see with, and you will be just fine.