Imalent
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McGizmo & Strider

Default Re: McGizmo & Strider

Check out Chris Reeves Sebenza, I got the large with BG42 blade if I recall it was in the low $300.
    waiting on my Mcgizmo Haiku XM-L should of got here today.

That Les George VECP is very cool, that is a knife I'd I like. I googled titanium framelock knives and got sucked into a thread on bladeforums all pics of different ones. There is a lot of options but it seemed a lot of them I didn't like. I like the Sebbies, love the Hinderers. Some of the ZT and Striders are so big and bulky and tactical looking I just don't want to carry them. I also don't like a lot of crazy pictures engraved on the handles, or the swoopy blades on some Kershaws and BMs. Simple, refined, sleek, yet still thick and beefy is what I like. Like Don's lights: tough, beautiful, but not overdone. Gonna have to keep looking. Or just save and buy what really appeals to me.

Sorry for hijacking the thread PSM.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    That Les George VECP is very cool, that is a knife I'd I like. I googled titanium framelock knives and got sucked into a thread on bladeforums all pics of different ones. There is a lot of options but it seemed a lot of them I didn't like. I like the Sebbies, love the Hinderers. Some of the ZT and Striders are so big and bulky and tactical looking I just don't want to carry them. I also don't like a lot of crazy pictures engraved on the handles, or the swoopy blades on some Kershaws and BMs. Simple, refined, sleek, yet still thick and beefy is what I like. Like Don's lights: tough, beautiful, but not overdone. Gonna have to keep looking. Or just save and buy what really appeals to me.

check out the benchmade subrosa its nice and light
    heres mine

Flashaholic

Like Don's lights: tough, beautiful, but not overdone. Gonna have to keep looking. Or just save and buy what really appeals to me.

Ray Laconico is an up and coming knife maker who in my mind takes a very similar approach to knives designs as Don does to flashlights. His knives are very clean, straight forward simple designs that just happen to look really cool. He does not have a web page but you can find a lot of his posts on USN or Blade forums. He also has a youtube channel. Here is my new one. It is a liner lock, but he also does frame locks.

Last edited by bmcgators98; 11-03-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Very nice bmcgators, I like that. I had to check out his other work after seeing that. I also saw in the "Folders" thread some of your other knives, including a Fellhoelter (something like that) and checked those out - also very nice - I can see you have a certain style that draws you in, there is definitely similarities among the knives you've posted.

Looking at a lot of knives, hoping to find one that will save me from having to hunt for an XM-18. So far, nothing. Those blades are calling to me.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Brian Fellhoelter is a hell of a nice guy and an AMAZING machinist.

With a bit of effort, you can find an XM-18 for less than you can buy a new Haiku.

There must be a hundred top level knifemakers for every top level flashlight designer. The options are virtually limitless. Enjoy the quest!!

(This is a McGizmo related post because there are 3 of them within 12 inches of me. )
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Good tip Soup. I will be watching for them now, I think. Really beautiful. There are zillions of knifemakers - I came across some online sellers with a list of names 100 long, and I had never heard of most of them, and didn't even know where to start looking at their blades. Almost too much to wrap one's mind around. But the research and the chase is half the fun anyways.

I feel bad about going quite a bit OT, so to help bring things back around, here is a pic of my Haiku with my best/favorite folder, a Spydie Caly 3 Carbon Fiber. Not a custom, but a heck of a nice knife as far as I'm concerned, and a wonderful EDC blade.

Flashaholic

Haiku with my best/favorite folder, a Spydie Caly 3 Carbon Fiber. Not a custom, but a heck of a nice knife as far as I'm concerned, and a wonderful EDC blade.
    Honestly, you can spend a lot more money on other knives and still not have one as nice as that. That is a great knife. Spyderco make some amazing knives for the money.

I really don't think we are too far off topic, we are talking about which knives complement McGizmo the best.

Used Hinderers will typically become more available and dip a little bit in price from now through the end of the year. People selling them to raise some cash for Christmas. Be on the look out, have the paypal account stocked and ready, and good luck.
    Last edited by bmcgators98; 11-04-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks, I am really happy with the Caly. Looks fantastic, feels and fits great in the hand, well-built, razor sharp, sits deep in the pocket, and I got it "used" (not even!) on the MP for a hundred bucks.

I was trying to figure out which XM would suit me best. Probably a 3", non-flipper (took me a bit to understand the flipper till I saw side by side pics ). What is the difference between the 3 generations?

Flashaholic

I have had both and think the 3" non flipper is best for EDC (really kick myself for selling that one). The 2nd generations are hand ground, third generations have a CNC machined blade and generally referred to as a "production" knife. There is actually a 4th generation now that is just out. It features a "slicer" grind. The 2nd generations are typically over $1,000 when they go on sale.
    Last edited by bmcgators98; 11-04-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Awesome, thanks for that info bro. I will be watching for one now.

Here are some Gizmos with my only real custom knives from John Landi. He's a super nice guy, and makes great hard use outdoors/camp type knives for insanely good prices. Sorry for the crappy pic, I only have my iphone now, camera was stolen. You can check out his site here for some real pictures.

Top to bottom: Kinzua, RSK, PSK

To be honest I've never even seen a Gen I 3"? But to answer your question both Gen I and Gen II XM's are considered custom grinds and command custom $$$ The Gen III and now the Gen IV offer both production ground and custom ground blade choices. I've owned 4 different XM's and have paid anywhere between $525 and $650 for one. I traded my baby, a 3" flipper user grade to Dan (Run4JC) and I'm happy that a he has it and carries and USES it daily. After a bit though I really missed having a Hinderer so I sold off what I had and scored me a sweet little 3" non-flipper and between it and my warm Haiku I have found light and knife bliss. Haven't bought anything for a couple months now which is unheard of! I would also like to add that in my experience the Strider PT is an awesome little carry knife as well. Both the lego and CC versions. Very stout little knife. I also hold the Sebenza in very high regard as do most who handle one. I for sure think the build quality of CRK is on par with Hinderer but the Hinderer wins out in toughness I think. Meaning the Sebbie blade is a real cutter where the XM spanto grind cuts well but the thickness also lends to a blade that can pry and pierce better. To offset the thicker blade I also carry a Spyderco Dragonfly unclipped........another great knife IMO. Whatever you do Nick **DO NOT** join an enabling forum called the USN. It is the best place on the web for knife knowledge, eye candy, and whatnot! There's a bunch of the best CPF'ers there as well since there is a flashlight forum too.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Thanks Jason for that insight, very helpful. I'll definitely be on the lookout.

I have made a pact with myself not to join any other blade or EDC forums as I can't fund another hobby like that. CPF has already cost me a mint. The McGizmo subforum alone has cost $1900. Plus Atwood's blog and assorted other knives and bits I've come across. I just can't go hard into knives. Not unless I get a fat raise I suppose.

Ti PD-S with large Sebbie:

And with MicroTech UTX-70:

Last edited by precisionworks; 11-06-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

Thanks Jason for that insight, very helpful. I'll definitely be on the lookout.

I have made a pact with myself not to join any other blade or EDC forums as I can't fund another hobby like that. CPF has already cost me a mint. The McGizmo subforum alone has cost $1900. Plus Atwood's blog and assorted other knives and bits I've come across. I just can't go hard into knives. Not unless I get a fat raise I suppose.
    I got you beat by a lot, nbp. And some people here have me beat by a lot, too. Fortunately, you'll never have to replace your Gizmos, and when you look at the long-term cost of things like computers and smartphones, the flashlights look like a much better deal over a couple decades.

As far as collecting knives is concerned, I tried but I just can't get into that. There's something about spending a bank-bag full of cash on something that by its nature gets damaged every time I use it -- I just can't bring myself to do that. Though as hard as the steels are that the custom builders use for their knives, maybe I could convince myself to buy one on a trial basis, but the custom knives I see are all enormous compared to what I actually use on a daily basis. A super-hard-steel custom folder with carbon handles would be nice, if I could get one the same size as a Kershaw Chive.

A super-hard-steel custom folder with carbon handles would be nice, if I could get one the same size as a Kershaw Chive.
    Quite a few makers will build to your design. One of the best is Jerry McDonald in Germantown Tennessee. A really nice guy to deal with & his prices are no more than some high end factory knives (Strider & Hinderer come to mind).

Jerry's website
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

My First Mcgizmo, got it a couple of Days ago, it is a Haiku with the XML emitter paired with my Strider SNG, it's Duane Dwyer Custom in with his amazing Damascus it's a mix of D2 and CPM 154

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    Ti PD-S with large Sebbie:

That is an awesome pic! Love the PD-S and Sebbies are fantastic, what a great pair you have there

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TinyCrumb View Post
    Wow!

Policescannerman have to blame or rather thank you for my latest purchase. Saw your pictures of Strider PT CC and went on a mission to find one not easy. Today was able to pick one up at NYC knife show. There was only one at the entire show. Spearpoint with black scales stone washed finish. Awesome awesome EDC!!! Was so stoked found one. My first Strider and my first EDC knife which I carry with Aeon but could just as easy be in my pocket while I am walking around with my Makai. Anyway cheers to a great thread.
    Last edited by tshirley; 11-18-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Rick Hinderer XM-24 with Monkey Edge titanium frag scale, Tom Anderson Double Exposure Twister Titanium Pen, and
    Tranquility Base titanium 2AA LunaSol 27!

Aloha,

jag
    McG/TB Ti 2AA LunaSol 27, McLuxIII Ti-PD, Nitecore D10, SF RPM U2, G2, AspheriMag3D Q5, Uluapoundr P7, Fenix L2D Q5, LD20, EO1 blue, purple, Hawaiian Punch Monkey Fist Creator

My new baby.....Baby Huey that is!

Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    My new baby.....Baby Huey that is!

Nice. Is it a worthy replacement for your XM-18?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgators98 View Post
    Nice. Is it a worthy replacement for your XM-18?
    Personally I think so. I really like it. Not as think in the tip as an XM but definitely a lazer in terms of cutting ability. The ergos are phenominal!
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

My contribution to this great thread

My small contribution to this great thread.

XM-18 3" full Ti scales with my new Sundrop XR-U (XM-L)

Last edited by onceupon; 12-13-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added detail

With a Strider

TAD Gear Strider DGG SnG and McGizmo AlTin Ti PD by intellax, on Flickr

And with one of my Fellhoelters, which I've been carrying lately

Brian Fellhoelter Compact Titainium Dauntless and McGizmo AlTin Ti PD by intellax, on Flickr

Walter Brend design manufactured by Cutters Knife & Tool, titanium frame liner lock and 154CM blade ... & a Ti PD-S

Just a little longer than a big Sebbie & 1mm thicker but it feels no bigger in the pocket.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 01-01-2012 at 03:31 PM.

_
    A new little knife I got from Kenn Jordan. Really great cutting tool for its 1.5 inch blade.
    Last edited by JMP; 01-29-2012 at 08:39 PM.