Imalent

Thread: ASPHERIC build

Hybrid View

Default ASPHERIC build

im going to make my own ASPHERIC host using the sst-50 led my 2 questions is

how many volts do i need to power the sst-50 led at 7amps

and

what size aspheric lens would u think would work best for the best thrower if it maters ?

Default Re: ASPHERIC build

Beam,

You should ask to have this thread moved to the "homebuilt & modified" forum. Plenty of info for this sort of build.
    ^G When I reply, threads die....

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by beam24 View Post
    im going to make my own ASPHERIC host using the sst-50 led my 2 questions is

how many volts do i need to power the sst-50 led at 7amps

and

what size aspheric lens would u think would work best for the best thrower if it maters ?
    You'll most likely destroy an SST-50 at 7 amps. The biggest lens you can get. An SST-50 makes a poor aspheric LED. Might as well just get a nice XR-E R2 reflector light. Throw will be about the same and spot size will be about the same. All on less than 1.4 Amps.
    Last edited by kengps; 07-03-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Vinh K40. Vinh S6330. Vihn X10. Vinh TX25C2. Vinh RRT-01. Vihn XM-L2 P60 Thrower (40K Lux!!) Three Oveready Z2's. One Oveready C2. Two Zebralight H31's.

Don't.

Try it with an xre r2 and it's nice. The sst will not do well in an aspheric unless you get the one with no dome and even then it's not as good as the xre. Plus 7 will probably kill it.

Flashaholic*

I forgot to mention that the XR-E LED looks like a square block of light, whereas the SST-50 looks like a series of closely spaced lines when used as an aspheric.
    Vinh K40. Vinh S6330. Vihn X10. Vinh TX25C2. Vinh RRT-01. Vihn XM-L2 P60 Thrower (40K Lux!!) Three Oveready Z2's. One Oveready C2. Two Zebralight H31's.

Super Moderator

beam24, you really do need to think mopre carefully about where your posts belong. You've recently posted quite a few things in the wrong place.

This thread very obviously belongs in the H&M section, as ^Gurthang says. I'm moving it there now.
    Resistance is futile...

With throwers the bigger the lens the better..66mm is about as big as you can go without starting to spend a bit of cash. The Hid kits on ebay will get you around 2.5 to 3 inches, but you have to buy them in pairs. Techjunkie has been going crazy with these kind of builds I'm sure he could give you some useful information.
    Last edited by 007adan; 07-04-2010 at 05:08 AM.