ASPHERIC build

beam24

Newly Enlightened
im going to make my own[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ASPHERIC[/FONT] host using the sst-50 led my 2 questions is

how many volts do i need to power the sst-50 led at 7amps

and

what size aspheric lens would u think would work best for the best thrower if it maters ?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
im going to make my own[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ASPHERIC[/FONT] host using the sst-50 led my 2 questions is

how many volts do i need to power the sst-50 led at 7amps

and

what size aspheric lens would u think would work best for the best thrower if it maters ?

You'll most likely destroy an SST-50 at 7 amps. The biggest lens you can get. An SST-50 makes a poor aspheric LED. Might as well just get a nice XR-E R2 reflector light. Throw will be about the same and spot size will be about the same. All on less than 1.4 Amps.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Don't.

Try it with an xre r2 and it's nice. The sst will not do well in an aspheric unless you get the one with no dome and even then it's not as good as the xre. Plus 7 will probably kill it.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention that the XR-E LED looks like a square block of light, whereas the SST-50 looks like a series of closely spaced lines when used as an aspheric.

DM51

Flashaholic
beam24, you really do need to think mopre carefully about where your posts belong. You've recently posted quite a few things in the wrong place.

This thread very obviously belongs in the H&M section, as ^Gurthang says. I'm moving it there now.

007adan

Newly Enlightened
With throwers the bigger the lens the better..66mm is about as big as you can go without starting to spend a bit of cash. The Hid kits on ebay will get you around 2.5 to 3 inches, but you have to buy them in pairs. Techjunkie has been going crazy with these kind of builds I'm sure he could give you some useful information.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned above, the XRE will give you the best throw
because of the "pencil type" beam.

The next best emitter to use is a XPG IMHO

Both of these emitters will give you a small tight beam
which is what you want for a aspheric thrower

Dr.Jones

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, if you want maximum throw, to my knowledge nothing beats an XR-E R2 EZ900.
However, both SSTs can compete with an XR-E R2 EZ1000 and should exceed an XP-G (each at it's max bin and max current).

An SST-50 will yield a bigger spot and *much* higher total brightness than any current Cree X?-?. If you also set value on that, an SST-50 might be a good choice.

Other than that... the bigger the lens, the longer the throw. As a rule of thumb: Twice the lens diameter yields twice the throw (and 4 times the beam intensity).

Last edited:

beam24

Newly Enlightened
would anyone no where i can get a XR-E R2 EZ900 and what how many amps would work best for it or driver

Dr.Jones

Newly Enlightened
would anyone no where i can get a XR-E R2 EZ900 and what how many amps would work best for it or driver
DX sku.11836 comes with EZ900 - at least the two I got.

Specified max current is 1A.
I read elsewhere that 1.4A seems to be a reasonable max current; higher currents were reported to increase the brightness only slightly.
Be sure to have good heat sinking. And of course LED life time is reduced at that current.