advice for first BRIGHT incandescent flashlight

recDNA

Flashaholic
We all grew up with hot wires but I've never owned one brighter than a 4 D Maglite.

I'm looking for something small (no bigger than a 2 C Mag.)
I don't want a maglite nor do I want to do a mod any harder than screwing in a new bulb or drop in.

Id like at least 400 lumens with some throw and a nice looking beam. I am a white wall hunter.

I don't want to spend a fortune so a cheap host is preferable to a Surefire.

Run time needn't be great but 30 min would be nice.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
We all grew up with hot wires but I've never owned one brighter than a 4 D Maglite.

I'm looking for something small (no bigger than a 2 C Mag.)
I don't want a maglite nor do I want to do a mod any harder than screwing in a new bulb or drop in.

Id like at least 400 lumens with some throw and a nice looking beam. I am a white wall hunter.

I don't want to spend a fortune so a cheap host is preferable to a Surefire.

Run time needn't be great but 30 min would be nice.

I would just go for an ROP setup in a 2C. I use an MOP reflector for a very nice beam. Throw is still pretty good, in my opinion.

I'm using 2 25500 Li-Ion cells from DX in mine, with one of Fivemega's "wide" tailcaps (either the wide one or the wide/deep do the trick). You can also use 2x 18650 cells in the wide/deep tailcap or modify the stock tailcap to work (cheaper, but can be a bit fussy from what I've read).

3854-Lo is the bulb I usually run, it gives me plenty of light and a nice beam pattern. I don't recall the beam pattern changing much when going to the 3854-Hi, but it is certainly brighter. The Lo bulb gives just the right amount of light for my use, but it's really easy to swap bulbs and the 2 packs of ROP bulbs are fairly cheap at ~$10.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd prefer not to use a maglite if possible.

Any other hosts available?

I don't know what rop or mop mean.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I'd prefer not to use a maglite if possible.

Any other hosts available?

I don't know what rop or mop mean.

ROP stands for "Roar of the Pelican"; there are a lot of threads on using these bulbs. They are a great starting point, in my opinion.

I think Maglites will be the easiest starting point by far, especially when you consider the ease of obtaining parts for modding and upgrading them. Smaller hosts such as the Surefire 6P (or a clone) won't have as much throw either.

If you don't want to go with a Maglite, your main choices will probably be Surefire, Fivemega (from the Custom B/S/T), or Solarforce (for P60 clones).

Depending on why you aren't a fan of Maglites, you could use a D cell Maglite head and put that on one of FM's "Magfire" bodies for a relatively simple light build.

recDNA

Flashaholic
And thes rop bulbs just screw into the mag head and the stock mag switch can handle the load? Any idea of the max lumens I can get?

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
And thes rop bulbs just screw into the mag head and the stock mag switch can handle the load? Any idea of the max lumens I can get?

My ROP light actually uses one of download's Mag C Towers, but unless you are running a ROP Hi for a long sustained run there definitely won't be any issues. I haven't tested the ROP Hi in a stock switch. The electrical paths for the Mag switch will be fine though. 3854-Lo is in the 2 amp range and 3854-Hi is in the 4-5 amp range. People have run the Mag C switches over 6 amp without issues, but at that point your mileage may vary...

To be clear though, the current that the ROP bulbs draw is safe for the Mag Switch. And yes, the bulbs just screw into the Mag switch where a normal Mag bulb would go.

(*Some people do a "burn in" for the bulbs as on occasion there will be some gas released that can fog the lens and reflector. They basically run the light for a bit without the lens/reflector or just without the whole head. I haven't done this before but you can search about it if you are interested.*)

Also, I forgot to mention that MOP stands for "Medium Orange Peel" which describes the texturing of the reflector that I like to use. It helps smooth out the beam pattern which can otherwise be a bit ringy and messy.

Off the top of my head... I think the 3854-Lo can do about 400 lumens and the 3854-Hi can do 1000 or so... that is probably at the bulb and the OTF (out the front) lumens will be somewhat lower, as with LEDs and other lights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
My ROP light actually uses one of download's Mag C Towers, but unless you are running a ROP Hi for a long sustained run there definitely won't be any issues. I haven't tested the ROP Hi in a stock switch. The electrical paths for the Mag switch will be fine though. 3854-Lo is in the 2 amp range and 3854-Hi is in the 4-5 amp range. People have run the Mag C switches over 6 amp without issues, but at that point your mileage may vary...

To be clear though, the current that the ROP bulbs draw is safe for the Mag Switch. And yes, the bulbs just screw into the Mag switch where a normal Mag bulb would go.

(*Some people do a "burn in" for the bulbs as on occasion there will be some gas released that can fog the lens and reflector. They basically run the light for a bit without the lens/reflector or just without the whole head. I haven't done this before but you can search about it if you are interested.*)

Also, I forgot to mention that MOP stands for "Medium Orange Peel" which describes the texturing of the reflector that I like to use. It helps smooth out the beam pattern which can otherwise be a bit ringy and messy.

Off the top of my head... I think the 3854-Lo can do about 400 lumens and the 3854-Hi can do 1000 or so... that is probably at the bulb and the OTF (out the front) lumens will be somewhat lower, as with LEDs and other lights.
And what batteries would you use in a 2 D mag with an ROP high?
I also have a 4 D mag. Would that be a better host?
It isn't the rings the reflector makes that bother me. Its the big dark spot in the middle

Last edited:

hoongern

Enlightened
Something else you can consider if you already have a D26/p60 compatible host (or get a cheap one), is to get this:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190833

and fit it with the CL1794 bulb from here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=197272

Run it off 2xICR18650 or IMR16340 and you should get 1000 lumens at the bulb.

(alternatively, a CL1499 bulb would be good - not as bright as the 1794 bulb but still pretty bright)

I use a similar setup with the D26-G4 & WA1185 bulb for > 1000 bulb lumens, mostly flood, but I've heard good things about the 1794, which I don't have, unfortunately.

But check out these threads for some beamshots:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213022
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232265
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/221970

recDNA

Flashaholic
Now if I set up a solarforce L2 with the ext. And 2 x imr18500 batteries with one of those bulbs in a D26 drop in can the stock switch handle the amp draw?
How long before the batteries get so hot I need to turn off the flashlight?
Are these bulbs sold by any american websites where I can just charge with cc to purchase?
Do they come in a d26 w a reflector all assembled?

325addict

Enlightened
Here's my suggestion: sooner or later, you'll end up with a Surefire M6 anyway, so WHY not buy it straight away and save the money you would otherwise spend on other setups?

1. Get yourself that M6,
2. get yourself at least one "2X 18650 holder for Surefire M6" sold by Mdocod,
3. make sure, the MN20 lamp is in the M6,
4. load two GOOD 18650s in that holder, put it in and... FIRE :devil: :devil:

NEVER use the MN21 with 2X 18650s!! It will be severely overloaded!!

This setup with MN20 will give you 250 OTF-lumens, which is a good start. This may equal around 400 bulb lumens.

Later, when you are more into modding (still the easy way), you may also want to buy:
1. at least one Fivemega "MN-bi-pin adapter"
2. several WA- and/or Lumens Factory-bulbs,
3. at least one "3X17670 holder" by either Fivemega or Mdocod,
4. 3 or 6 AW 17670s.

With 3X 17670s and a WA1185 bulb, you easily will pass that 1000 Lumen-mark :whistle:

Bottom line: the Surefire M6 is a great light in any way you look at it, and due to the enormous amount of modding parts available, it can be customized just the way you want :thumbsup:

Timmo.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
And what batteries would you use in a 2 D mag with an ROP high?
I also have a 4 D mag. Would that be a better host?
It isn't the rings the reflector makes that bother me. Its the big dark spot in the middle

You have a number of options for batteries in a 2D host; I wouldn't bother trying to use a 4D.

You could use 2 18650 batteries with some form of spacer to keep them centered in the body (there are threads/posts on what to use for a spacer). If you want to make a better use of the space, then I would recommend 2 26650 batteries from Batteryspace. You can also use 2 "C" (or 25500) size batteries with a centering adapter, these are shorter than D cells though and you may need a small spacer to make contact with the spring. With any of these options, I would recommend reading about using lithium based rechargeables safely if you aren't already familiar with them.

An option that maybe be easier... six NiMH AA batteries in a 6AA to 2D adapter. mdocod and Fivemega both make these adapters. The current draw isn't too high, so I think Eneloops would be a solid battery choice for using with either the Lo or Hi bulb. This option might be slightly more expensive, but it won't require you to make your own spacer/adapter and it may save you the cost of buying a new charger (depending on what you already have).

mrartillery

Enlightened
If you dont want a Mag body, how about this. It uses a Mag head, but all you have to do is drop your bulbs right in and add batteries and tailcap. 3x 18500's and an 1185 should give around 20 minutes of runtime.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you dont want a Mag body, how about this. It uses a Mag head, but all you have to do is drop your bulbs right in and add batteries and tailcap. 3x 18500's and an 1185 should give around 20 minutes of runtime.

What do you mean by drop your bulb in? Does it screw in?

Does anyone sell a high power bulb IN a D26 refector so I don't have to wear eye protection merely inserting the bulb? That warning gives me the heebie jeebies.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Its a bi-pin bulb, the "legs" of the bulb insert right into the slots and you just use a small hex key to snug it into place.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
What do you mean by drop your bulb in? Does it screw in?

Does anyone sell a high power bulb IN a D26 refector so I don't have to wear eye protection merely inserting the bulb? That warning gives me the heebie jeebies.

Surefire's P91 is decently bright. Not cheap though if you have to replace it. The great thing about it being a 9V bulb is that you should be able to run it on either 3 CR123 primaries or 2 Li-Ion batteries.

Now, this isn't to say that you shouldn't use protection... but I've been pretty rough on bulbs here and there and I haven't had any breakage issues. Safety glasses is a smart precaution; anything can happen if you are unlucky, but you won't be changing bulbs that often anyway.

325addict

Enlightened
NOTE: a P91 is NOT compatible with a 2X Li-ion setup. It will be severely overloaded then.
If you want a "ready-to-drop-in" solution, look at the IMR series by Lumens Factory. They have a VERY bright D26 drop-in in this IMR series...

Otherwise, the D26 G4 Sunlight module by Fivemega is a very, very good thing to have at hand. Inserting bulbs is very easy, as described already: push it in gently, fasten the screw VERY gently using the hex key supplied, and after that, you can just use it the way you would use any other D26 drop in.
It has the added benefit that you can focus the lamp the way you want: a good flood with less throw, or more a spot with good throw... it's up to you :thumbsup:

Timmo.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
NOTE: a P91 is NOT compatible with a 2X Li-ion setup. It will be severely overloaded then.
If you want a "ready-to-drop-in" solution, look at the IMR series by Lumens Factory. They have a VERY bright D26 drop-in in this IMR series...

Otherwise, the D26 G4 Sunlight module by Fivemega is a very, very good thing to have at hand. Inserting bulbs is very easy, as described already: push it in gently, fasten the screw VERY gently using the hex key supplied, and after that, you can just use it the way you would use any other D26 drop in.
It has the added benefit that you can focus the lamp the way you want: a good flood with less throw, or more a spot with good throw... it's up to you :thumbsup:

Timmo.

Wait, is a P91 really not okay to use with 2x Li-Ions? That's a bummer... I'm not sure why though... two fully charged Li-Ion batteries with be at 8.4V and three fresh CR123 primaries will be at about 9V... It should actually be a bit underloaded, especially once the Li-Ions settle down to their nominal voltage.

FM's G4 Sunlight modules look great if you can get one; I really like the ability to replace/change bulbs without having to replace the whole assembly.

Edit: This thread discusses different Li-Ion combinations with the P91, looks like IMR18650s are not a good idea, but non-IMR cells and smaller IMR cells might be decent options. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233057

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
Lumens Factory SP-9:

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory-Seraph-SP-9LED-Single-Mode-Flashlight_p_3218.html

D36 mini turbo head: http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory-D36-Mini-Turbo-Head-Assembly_p_3212.html

Lumens factory EO-9L D36 Drop in: http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6258