Mag 2D ROP problems... solved!

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
I am new to modifying mags, so I read up and asked questions before I started. The ROP looked easy enough. After replacing the lens and reflector, and while my new 26650 IMRs from Lighthound were charging, I made a tube for some AW 18650s that I had and fired up the 54L bulb. I was very impressed! It seemed better than my P91. I charged the IMRs up to about 4.15 and tried them with the 54L. Nothing. This was my first problem. After some frustrating moments I realized that the batteries weren't making contact with the switch assembly. Now my second problem is that the switch has the new T8 set screw. I filed down a 2mm Allen wrench and got it out then replaced it with a new one from the hardware store. I got the switch out and saw that my batteries wouldn't work the way it was....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

So I filled in the gap with solder.

ry%3D400

I hadn't heard of this problem. Has anyone else experienced this or is this a different kind of switch. Here's what an older one I have looks like compared to the new one:

ry%3D400

Any thoughts?

mrartillery

Enlightened
For those older style switches with the springs on the bottom to use flat top "C" sized IMR's I always grind the fins down around the spring with a dremel, this makes a kind of cup to hold the batteries in as well. For the new style such as the one you have the mound of solder works well, as I have used this before. Also taking an old left over spring out of the mag switch socket and cutting it down to just a couple rounds and soldering it on works well too. Another option is this.

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
I actually tried to solder in a cut down spring as you mentioned. Somehow I ended up with the solder mound anyway. Maybe I should work on my soldering skills (or lack thereof).

hoongern

Enlightened
I too ran into this problem when constructing my M@g09. Worked with my IMR18500s (which have button tops), but didn't work when I put in my IMR26500s. My switch was the type with the spring.

A temporary solution I found was to use a magnet on the top of the 1st battery (and since it goes into the small hole in the switch, I didn't think there would be danger of it shifting about), but I wasn't too sure of how much the magnet resistance would affect things.

My permanent solution is already mentioned - I took a small spring from a tailcap of one of my old flashlights, and soldered it onto the switch section. Works well!