Tikka XP - still dangerous ;) (xp-g mod)

Szemhazai

Enlightened
I guess that everyone knows it - one of the ugliest headlamp on the market, black-brown body, a little plastic and headband :p. But at the same time, robust, well sealed, reliable, built-in diffuser or removable color filters. For years serves to many people at home and on the trail. Last year was displaced from the shops by its more colorful successor XP 2, but in my opinion it is still worth interest when you are choosing the new headlamp - especially if you are not unfamiliar with soldering iron :huh:. And there is also that beautiful black-yellow HAZLOC version :D

tikka4.jpg

Quite large buttons:

tikka3.jpg

Solid piece of gasket and battery status indicator on the side:

tikka5.jpg

Mod

Classic set for the most of Petzls: headlamp & Torx 6 :devil:.

tikka6.jpg

Cree XP-G on micro pcb

rys0.jpg

Some thermal adhesive i.e. Arctic Alumina or other glue - I'm using 3M 467MP 0,05mm adhesive tape, some tin, 2 pieces of wire and soldering iron :whistle:

After removing the three screws from the battery compartment you can easily push everything out by pressing gently on the top lens. Usually a small piece of ferrite is going out somewhere - you cannot worry about that :). By the way you can see now another gasket on the lens.

tikka7.jpg

Take the old and using a sharp knife remove everything, only to leave an aluminum plate that will serve you as a base for centering a new led. Now you have only to glue in the center the mcpcb with cree xp-g on board and connect the power. Purist technicians can replace the entire wire - remember that it have to be adequately thin to fit between the star and the holder.

tikka9.jpg

Now, put on the holder and center the led gently pushing the star in the direction you want.

tikka8k.jpg

It's done - now you have only put everything together and test your new powerful headlamp :).

To mod, or not to mod ? Or simply, for what ?

Certainly for a better color, switching from a SSC P4 to the XP-G you can select the neutral white or even warm led :). The difference between the neutral white and cold will be significant and with the warm led you can feel almost like with an old Incandescent bulb
icon3.gif
. In addition, you will get more light and better focus.

But is it worth it? Compared between Tikka XP 2 (45$) and modded Tikka XP (in the shop 45$ + 10 for the led) - you have to make a choice lovecpf.

high xp2 vs. boost xpg
tikkaxp2xpgbostin.jpg

tikkaxp2xpgbostout.jpg

high xp2 vs. high xpg
tikkaxp2xpghighin.jpg

tikkaxp2xpghighout.jpg

Modded XP on SSC P4 vs XP-G boost.
tikkasscxpgboostin.jpg

tikkasscxpgboostout.jpg

Modded XP on SSC P4 vs XP-G high.
tikkasscxpghighin.jpg

tikkasscxpghighout.jpg

Rest of the test photos you can find on my website : http://www.light-test.info

Last edited:

PScalfano

Newly Enlightened
Re: Tikka XP - still dangerous ;)

That is a great mod!

Would a star-mounted xp-g work instead of the micro PCB glued to a star? Say, this one?

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Re: Tikka XP - still dangerous ;)

PScalfano, no, it won't work without additional modification to the holder - you will have to trim it about 2mm. XP-G needs to be about 2mm higher than SSC P4 / Luxeon.

luxiiixpg.jpg

Last edited:

Rathand

Newly Enlightened
Hi Szemhazai
The result looks incredible!
Could you PM me the details of your XPG you used and recommend someone online who could sell me one?
thanks alot!

The Fred

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I want to modify my Tikka XP like you did here.
Can you direct me to where I can purchase the correct LED for this mod and what are specifications required for an LED I want to use in this headlight?

Thank you!

Freddie

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hello Szemhazai! That's a kick-butt mod. Like the others here who have responded, I would like to try this with my headlamp, so I'll ask you a question. I have the TacTikka XP. Is this model similar enough to yours for me to do it? Petzl has sooo many dang models, it's hard to keep up with them. I do know mine looks almost identical to yours, buttons, lens, sliding filter, etc. It also takes 3 AAA batts. If I modded mine with a new emitter, could I put lithium primaries in it, or is that restricted due to the driver board? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Nice job on the mod!

dfwcaver

Newly Enlightened
Hi Szemhazai, Nice Mod! I put an xm-l star in my Tikka XP. The spot is not very good any more, but it's much brighter with a lot of flood – which is what I wanted.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
mrlysle, yes, the only differences between the ticca's xp are filters and colors. Yes, you can use primary lithiums, in the boost mode you will outshine many competitive lights :naughty:

The Fred, if you don't want to **** the old holder you can cut any standard star mcpcb to necessary size it's about 4x10mm. :thumbsup:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Thats awesome I wish I had the skills to do that to my old Tikka... It has been retired but was my best friend many nights out in the wilderness.. It would deserve this treatment!

foxx

Newly Enlightened
I'm using tikka xp with xp-g neutral and it's great, but still when using with recyko rechargeables the power input is 50%-60% of what its with alkalines (at least when they are fresh...).

I was thinking if lower Vf of xm-l could compensate for it, so I have greater input power even when using nimh batteries...

Could anyone confirm that? If so, Id exchange xp-g to neutral xm-l ;) ;)

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to maybe get the xp 2 and this would be a interesting mod. I would like to do this or know more.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I am looking to maybe get the xp 2 and this would be a interesting mod. I would like to do this or know more.

the xp and xp2 are different lamps. the xp is older and needs the emitter swapped to bring it up to date. the xp2 is newer and the emitter cannot be swapped. you can still buy the xp, but the xp is more expensive than the newer xp2.

The Fred

Newly Enlightened
I have a problem. Everywhere I look, the specs for the XPG say that it is from 3.2-3.7v and I don't want to fry the new XPG in my Tikka XP.
I have no idea what the voltage/current is from the XP on "high" and "boost" mode. I'm worried it will overload the XPG.
Where can I get the correct LED for this mod and it needs to be from somewhere that offers international shipping.
I'm desperate to do this mod because I'm fed up of the pinkish colour from the current LED in the light.

Cheers!

Fred

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I have a problem. Everywhere I look, the specs for the XPG say that it is from 3.2-3.7v and I don't want to fry the new XPG in my Tikka XP.
I have no idea what the voltage/current is from the XP on "high" and "boost" mode. I'm worried it will overload the XPG.
Where can I get the correct LED for this mod and it needs to be from somewhere that offers international shipping.
I'm desperate to do this mod because I'm fed up of the pinkish colour from the current LED in the light.

the XP-G has a max voltage of 3.75v. the typical forward voltage for a Lux I at 350mA (probably close to what the XP is running on High) is 3.4v, so in theory, even if the circuit is a voltage source rather than current source, the XP-G should be fine. plus others have done this mod and run it w/o problems.

the real problem you'll run into isn't whether the emitter is compatible with the circuit, it's whether the emitter is compatible with the optic. the height, size, and beam patterns of the Lux I and XP-G are different, so the optic holder needs to be modded for it work with an XP-G.

as with any Lux 1 upgrade, the easiest mod you can do is to swap the emitter for a SSC P4. you can do this mod without any changes to the optic holder. it's just a straight star swap. the toughest part is finding a SSC P4 with the tint you want.

good luck on the mod.

*Edit* try CPF Marketplace for LED's. someone there might have the emitter you want. if not, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

The Fred

Newly Enlightened
I just did the mod and it was a disaster in my opinion. The first LED I tried was a CREE P4 Warm White. After I finished soldering it, the lens on the dome of the LED randomly popped off exposing the diode inside and all this silicone glue went all over it so it was pretty much ruined.:sick2:
The second LED I soldered was a Cree P4 BIN XR7090WT-U1-WD-P4-0-0001 and the lens of the LED is obviously not high enough because it made an awful ringy wide beam pattern that really sucked!:eek:

The LED that was originally in my tikka XP is a SXPHW 0645456 1507LXHLMW1D LUXEON. It is about 5.5mm high.

Can anyone recommend the correct LED for this mod to be successful? I am really stumped and I've already wasted about $20 on the last two LED's.

I am eagerly awaiting your help!!!!:sigh:

Freddie

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
@ The Fred.

Do Dealextreme deliver to you? I ordered my P4's from there (one for modding a tactikka XP and one for my 4D mag) and they cost under $20 all in, delivered to the UK

FWIW, I used a standard P4 on the start U-bin