The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPhone 4 LED flash flashlight

Flashaholic*

Default Re: iPhone 4 LED flash flashlight

Have you seen Super LED Flashlight? It has a few strobes and morse code. You can tap the morse code or type the text.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super...380868113?mt=8

I just got my iphone 4, and guess what.....the LED is warm white!

the colour compares to my high CRI Titan

Crenshaw

Is there an iPhone 4 app that both magnifies and uses the LED?

Enlightened

I really like the iPhone 4 LED flash - it's plenty bright for typical quick uses like lighting your way in the garage, stairs, theater aisle, looking for keys in the dark, etc. Nice floody light, maybe around 5-10 lumens right?

In any case, one usually needs a quick way to turn it on. On my jailbroken phone, I have installed SpringFlash (which has an SBSetting toggle) but even better is to use the Activator. So I pull the phone out of my pocket, hit the Home button which lights up the Lock screen, then press the Volume Down button - this toggles the LED flash on and off, works beautifully and very handy.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by rejeme View Post
    ...Curious to know around how many lumens it puts out...
    Using a combination of direct and reflection lux meter readings, and comparing the same readings to lights of known lumen output, I'd roughly estimate the iPhone 4 LED is about 5 to 10 lumens in normal continuous use.

It's very roughly as bright as an Arc III AAA, but with a floodier beam.

It can be used in that continuous mode when shooting video with the iPhone. The brightness is the same when using the iPhone "Flashlight" apps which turn on the camera LED.

It briefly gets significantly brighter when used as a camera flash, but it's too brief to measure with my lux meter. I'd estimate it's about 4x brighter, which is around 40 lumens, but only for about 1/4 second.

This brighter "flash" mode is not available from any of the iPhone apps I've seen.

OK im going to have to dig this thread up, I used to have ip4 but recently upgraded to and iphone 4s but didnt get a chance to do a comparison between the 2 leds.

What im hoping for is someone who has done a little research on the iphone flash and maybe a few beamshots.

Also I really dont understand how someone can estimate it at 5-10 lumens, I thought our eyes couldnt differentiate between such small differences, never mind the fact that the beam profile is all flood so it naturally seems dimmer to our eyes. The output could even be as much as 40 lumens.

Anyone with testing equipment and time to spare care to enlighten me
    What's the difference between a lawn mower and a bagpipe? You can tune a lawn mower.

I use the iHandy Flashlight mini in my 4S, while the light is on, there's a compass on the screen, SOS mode, and strobe with 10 separate rates...
    6.3Mb, free. I'm worried about heatsink though, if the original design was exclusively flash, I'm not certain there is heatsink under that LED at all.

Not much of a heatsink, looks all plastic to me

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/2

S
    croll down to 11 you will see the camera and led unit attached.

However the led flash is also used for video recording so I would think that Apple have tested it to run for long periods
    What's the difference between a lawn mower and a bagpipe? You can tune a lawn mower.

Although looking at the backside pic of an iphone 4s camera module I can see some shiny material, maybe metal, brass?

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/V...4AM1rFmqR.huge

Talking Re: iPhone 4 LED flash flashlight

The output of my 4S resembles that of the piranha superfluxes as opposed to... say... an XPG at 350ma, so its likely safe to assume its been driven around 100ma or less... which equates to a dramatic reduction in heatsink needs

What kind of led is in the 4gs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12