iPhone 4 LED flash flashlight

rejeme

Newly Enlightened
There are a few new apps for the iPhone 4 that use its camera flash in a constant on mode to act as small LED flashlight. I dont have an iPhone 4 (yet) but was wondering if anybody here did. Curious to know around how many lumens it puts out. I looked at a few vids on YouTube, but I wanted the opinion of some LED experts.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You maybe better asking in another part of the forum,iphones are not led lights.

Perhaps this section:personal Gadgetry & Non-flashlight Electronics

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an app on my 4 year old Motorola Q that does just that, uses the flash as a flashlight. It's actually much brighter than most of the lights I use and prefer. But that's not saying much because I consider anything over 10 lumens, bright.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
They offer a similar app for the Droid, but since I'll always have a light on me if my phone is on me (if I'm wearing pants), I've never actually downloaded it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't feel like I would actually use such an app. A friend of mine has it on his Droid, but he's not a Flashaholic like myself :D.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a jailbroken flashlight app that's suppose to be brighter than earlier versions & it's ~5 to 10LM. Only used it once or twice to compare with flashlights;).

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Re: Apple Approves Iphone 4 LED Flash To Be Used As Flashlight

i wish the palm pre would come out with an app like that

i think the pre has a luxeon

forklift

Newly Enlightened

Get it while it's hot, because there's no telling if Apple will pull this off the store or not... apps wired into hardware aren't normally approved.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

edit: threads have been merged :)

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe there was a similar thread moved from here yesterday on the same subject. It's in the "other" thread IIRC.

Yep, I think the objection was it didn't use an LED so it didn't belong in the LED flashlights forum. I have no idea whether they use LED's or not. :shrug:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast

I fully admit that I'm not a "phone enthusiast" so I just don't get the somewhat recent movement to get cell phones to do everything besides just make phone calls. I see people going ga-ga over what their cell phones do and it just puts me to sleep instantly. :tired:

I know...different strokes for different folks. :)

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not a phone fan either, and I wouldn't want to replace my entire EDC with a phone, but, there is some logic in having features that can replace things you'd normally carry in your pocket, like camera, mp3 player, flashlight...

It's probably a good thing that a lot of non flashaholics who'd find carrying a flashlight around strange, will now have one on them rather than be left in the dark.

DM51

Flashaholic

Moving this to Non-Flashlight Electronics, with the comment that this sounds a pretty quick way to wreck your iPhone battery...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get it while it's hot, because there's no telling if Apple will pull this off the store or not... apps wired into hardware aren't normally approved.
:thinking:

I think all apps are "wired into hardware".