recommend a laser for 100-130 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie

Enlightened
hi
i am looking to buy my first real laser to have some fun with
can you guys recommend one that can pop balloons and and burn stuff
budget is $100 - $130 or do i need to save up a bit more cash for to get something decent

andyw513

Enlightened
Check out the green pen pointers at optotronics, they have 100mw laser pointer pens for around 140-150 bucks. Some people go with Wicked Lasers as well. Hope this little bit of info helped!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green is the most visible laser, i.e. a 5mW green will look brighter than a 5mW red or a 5mW violet. They are also more complex and therefore more fragile. The green is created by an 808nm IR laser diode, which is focused onto a non-linear crystal that, when pumped with 808, lases at a deeper 1064nm IR wavelength. This is then frequency-doubled by yet another crystal, which halves the wavelength to a nice 532nm green. The output of this crystal is then expanded and/or collimated to give you that nice, round green dot.

Violet (Blu-Ray) lasers provide the most burning capability per mW it seems. Generally doesn't care what color the target is. It is, however, less visible than the rest. Don't let its dimness trick you, it still has lots of power.

Red is probably the cheapest $/mW. Not much else to say about it. Easier to burn green, blue colored things with it than white or red things

Both red and violet are simple diodes collimated with a lens.

I'd recommend a focusable laser. This way you can focus it out to use it as a pointer, or focus it in to burn stuff close up. Given the same amount of energy, the smaller the point that it's focused on, the hotter that point will be.

>>>Make sure to get you some safety goggles. They can be pricey for red, slightly less so for green. BR goggles seem to be the easiest to come by. These goggles will protect your eyes from burns that may occur from accidental direct exposure, accidental specular reflections, and close viewing of the high-power dot on diffuse surfaces.

derangboy

Enlightened
I got a green <200mW laser from O-Like that I am fairly happy with. The actual green output is about 130 mW though and the beam does mode hop. Still, not bad for the price and will do laser tricks. For a little bit more money, I got an exceptional custom build at laserpointerforums.

Barrie

Enlightened
thanks for the replies
i have just moved house a few weeks ago and we have little red spider mites all over the place
so one that can kill insects would be good
budget now up to $150 i have done the search thing but i am no wiser
i usual hang out in the flashlights forum
lasers are new to me
let me recap
1 up to $150
2 want to pop balloons light matches kill insects
3 beam color is not impotent but green is preferable
looked on DX and KDs but they are a gamble so hoping you guys can help
me pick one that will do the job
thanks for your time
Barrie

Barrie

Enlightened
:mecry:no one else
cum on guys I'm sure you can help me a bit more
some of you must have bought a laser for $150 or less that dose what i need
i appreciate the replies i have had can some one give me a link or model number of the
<200mW laser from O-Like
or the one from optotronics, looked on ther web sites
Iam confused
Christo_pull_hair.gif

i have been on DX and KD and E-bay for days i dont know what is honest or exagerated

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
For LEDs and flashlights, KD and DX are great. For laser modules, they are a gamble. They won't ship any already made pointers over 5mW to the US.

O-like and Rayfoss are like the KD and DX of lasers (not respectively) except that they specialize in selling lasers, and their lasers aren't as under-spec. In fact, the laser I bought from O-like was over spec. I've used O-like, and the lady who runs it is very helpful. Keep in mind, she's in China, so keep your english easy to understand in your correspondence. I'd recommend talking to the shopkeep before purchasing. You might even ask if they will send you a photo of your laser being tested for power output.

If you have kids in the house too, I'd recommend getting one of the more expensive models that come with a key interlock. Remember, more than 5mW and it becomes hazardous. An accidental 5mW beam to the eye can only cause damage if you intentionally stare into it, but it's considered "safe" because normally your eye will react to the light by closing your eyelids, and it's been shown that at levels below 5mW, your natural reaction is enough to protect your eyes.

Also, if you will be doing burning tricks, definitely get some goggles, even if they're just cheap ones. If you have been to lpf, there are a few group buys for cheap uncertified protection, as well as more expensive lab-certified eyeware.

Barrie

Enlightened
thanks i think i will get one from O-like but which one:thinking: do i go for red green or blue :confused:

Xplorer866

Newly Enlightened
It depends, but I'd say go with green. Green light is more sensitive to the eye than red or purple. If you want to be able to burn things and pop balloons and such you'll need at least 100mW.

-Tony

Barrie

Enlightened
thank for all your help
i have gone for a O-like 200mW focusable to start with as it was way lass than my budget i will probably get a green one later on
thanks again
Barrie

Barrie

Enlightened
not sure whether it has been sent yet or not there was a bit of a mix up with pay pal and o-like so i was asked to cancel my order and reorder when i got refunded
i reordered
o-like have given me a new order number but no money has been taken yet why do you ask

LuxLoverr

Newly Enlightened
i just ordered a bunch of lasers from them early this morning. never dealt with them before, so, i was a little concerned.

Barrie

Enlightened
this is my first dealings with o-like as well
i am sure a will be well i believe they have a good reputation on here

LuxLoverr

Newly Enlightened
let me know when you get yours, i suspect we'll probably get ours around the same time! but guess, i may need to write them next week if i haven't heard from them.

Barrie

Enlightened
what part of the world are you in
and if you don't mind me asking how many makes a bunch

i have ordered one red so far and as it cost less than i had budgeted for i am thinking of ordering a green 150MW
i don't have any experience with lasers so i don't know what to go for

Last edited:

Barrie

Enlightened
any one know how long i can expect to Wait
i ordered two lasers both are in stock the account tells me it is processing monies have been taken
i have Email it is 1 week no reply :mecry:

Status
Not open for further replies.