Tenergy LSD 2300mah Review

ama230

Enlightened
I had first wanted to say that there are great rechargeables out there and we all know that the eneloops are the favorite on here and a few that follow such as the duraloops and imedions etc...

I had ordered 48 AA's and 48 AAA's from all-battery.com on ebay since its a few dollars cheaper, and I do not know why. They have great prices already but always looking to save a few bucks on top with a coupon or other likes. The AA's had came with individual cases and the AAA's did not and this does not concern at all but just disclosing.

Cost:

AAA's 6 packs of 4 = 24AAA Tenergy 1000mah LSD batteries = $17.99x2=$35 for 48 Tenergy LSD AAA's

AA's 6 packs of 4 = 24AA Tenergy 2300mah LSD batteries = $29.99x2 = $59 for 48 Tenergy LSD AA's

The AA's had all came with Tenergy plastic cases (12 total)...

So for a $100 I had got 98 LSD batteries, so I thought I had got a smoking deal.

Also they had updated their prices on the AAA's on ebay and their at $30 now for 24 of them.

Shipping was $15 bucks.

Impression:

I have the regular cells that I had purchased for batteryjunction and there were a great value but wanted to see what the LSD craze was all about but at a budget, I do not know if these two should go together but I made it happen. I actually paid less for the LSD tenergys that the regular tenergys.

When I had got the regular tenergys the 2600mah AA's and the 1000mah AAA's they had measured 1.22-1.23V from the shrink wrap so I thought this was good and they last pretty long but on here they state that they only measure 1700-1800mah at the most. Then looking around the LSD's had measured 2100+mah so I thought I would give it a go and I needed some more batteries as you can never have too much.:broke::thinking:

Then when I had measured the lsd's out of the package they had all measured 1.30-1.32V. So the claim that they hold a charge for a while was true. They had at least been sitting for a year claimed by all-battery so this is a very good start.

Testing:

I am going to run this in a Maglite with a 36 Nichia led drop in @ 400+ lumen that I got that draws 1.3A from a FiveMega 6AA-2D holder. I will see how much longer they the Tenergy 2300mah LSD's last vs the existing regular Tenergy 2600mah's.

The existing Tenergy batteries last 165min=2 3/4 hrs.

The new LSD batteries are being charged and will be posted in the next day or so, so keep posted as they seem a viable contender in the LSD game and are a lot cheaper that the existing ones. I would like someone to post on here what they thought of these batteries and see how they hold up and their impression.

Thanks for looking and will keep you posted.
Eric Ramirez

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
What charger are you using with these?

If you have a C9000 or similar, it would be good to know how much capacity the cells have left in them before charging them.

I recall when these first showed up at all-battery, someone joked that they should have been called R2C (Ready to charge) instead of R2U (Ready to use) as all but 2 of the cells he had received were empty.

ama230

Enlightened
What charger are you using with these?

If you have a C9000 or similar, it would be good to know how much capacity the cells have left in them before charging them.

I recall when these first showed up at all-battery, someone joked that they should have been called R2C (Ready to charge) instead of R2U (Ready to use) as all but 2 of the cells he had received were empty.

There are a lot of people that are here just stir up the pot. As I could not get a good idea on what to buy and their impressions. From what I had seen there is a 75% dislike/25% Love on Tenergy brand cells. Then for the regular cells(non-lsd) there is most that claim dead cells and received the wrong products and got these and so forth. Then for the LSD batteries they seem to be getting the same reviews that are written by the same people.

As this is 100% real and I have always used energizer or duracell rechargeables and found them to only last 20-50 charges and then not last that long and this was with remote controls and small power devices. Then I had seen the brand on battery junctions website and they claimed it to be a good battery.

I have 40+ regular Tenergy 2600mah NiMh AA's and 30+ Tenergy 1000mah AAA's. They all work great and have their capacity as the charger I have makes sure of it or it goes into a null mode. I have the titanium 8bay smart charger that you can find on battery junction or all battery and it charges all the cells to 1.40V. As far as the capacity I do not know because I did not buy a fancy charger as I wanted one that came with a 12v for my vehicle and come in a package deal with some good rechargeables.

As far as charge, I have seen on here as the new 2400mah Imedions just came out and the charge is the same if not a little better and I had measured randomly like 8 times. I will only know if the capacity is larger than the tested 2600mah(which are really 1700-1800mah) I have when I measure the time it takes for my 1.4A light to kill dead.

If it stays on longer than the 2 3/4 hrs as I am looking for 3 1/2hrs since the eneloops last 3hrs.

This is from what I have seen on a source on the internet say that they had got all of their cells the read 2100-2350mah on a lacrosse charger(sorry I do not know how to spell it but I have seen it mentioned and its supposed to be one of the best). So I am hopeful to see this as the charge they came with is promising. I am a real person that is 25yrs old and am not showing favorites or work/affiliation. I paid for these by my own dime, as I love to see competition and viable alternatives.

Also for a reminder do not believe most posts out there as they are just JOKERS> )

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still wonder why Matt from Battery Junction doesn't carry the R2U Tenergy LSD cells but the regular 2600mAh NiMh cells? I have and love the Tenergy R2U cells as I got introduced to them some time ago when browsing the Anandtech "Hot Deals" thread and saw a set of 24 R2U AAs for like $18 but with a 15% off or a $10 off coupon. Smoking deal! I was hooked and have ordered more AA and AAAs from All-Battery. In any event the Tenergy are all still working and they do not self discharge much if at all so even after a few years they work as advertised.

ama230

Enlightened
The charger that I got is a rebranded Maha charger that Titanium had put their own label on it, so it has to be a decent on even though it does not have a capacity readout.

Also its great to have someone post on here that these are good and they are not as bad as they seem. Majority of the posts on other websites are ridiculous and seem to bash Tenergy. I do not favor them over others its just in my experience they are all good cells and I have about 200 or so of them and they are all good with no problems.

Also to quote above:

I alos do not know why matt at batteryjunction does not carry these as I would have bought from there but they do not carry them. So I had to go else where(all-battery) to get them. It just seems that eneloops are too expensive and it would cost me about $500 to have 100-200 cells. Even though I had got 4 eneloops form matt at battery junction for a substitution for the 4 titanium 2700mah batteries since they were on back order. They had came with a charge of 1.32v out of the package and will see how they perform as well against the tenergy 2300mah r2u cells.

Again to state that I have now measures all 48AA's and 48 AAA's and they all have read 1.30v-1.32V right out of the package and they have been sitting in there packages for a year. Yes you heard right, A YEAR! So these are really LSD batteries.

Thanks beacon of light for posting your results as we need even competition among the battery game. As I know as an electrical engineer Sanyo is a great company and panasonic did a great move by buying the best company for photovoltaics and batteries. We just need a cheaper solution since times are hard and some like to be different...

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I was IM chatting with bigchelis the other day and he gets higher Lumen numbers using tennergy AA NiMH cells. Higher than eneloops. He also said that the guy from lambdalights designs all his lights using Tennergy NiMH cells, because they deliver the most power in high current devices.

So, as far as current is concerned, in high draw applications... I would expect them to really deliver.

ama230

Enlightened
I was IM chatting with bigchelis the other day and he gets higher Lumen numbers using tennergy AA NiMH cells. Higher than eneloops. He also said that the guy from lambdalights designs all his lights using Tennergy NiMH cells, because they deliver the most power in high current devices.

So, as far as current is concerned, in high draw applications... I would expect them to really deliver.

Thanks kramer5150 for the helpful input as it is an American Company that looks promising. That is awesome they even deliver a bit better than eneloop.
This is a little refreshing as I had just blew a bill and its good to know it went towards a great product.

I did not know that lamda and bigchelis use Tenergys as they do not disclaim it everytime they post. Also I have not been around that long to know this. Higher current is like having higher torque its what gets you there quicker!!!:thumbsup:

blkcamarozr28

Newly Enlightened
Cost:
AA's 6 packs of 4 = 24AA Tenergy 2300mah LSD batteries = $29.99x2 = $59 for 48 Tenergy LSD AA's

Eric Ramirez

Picked up these same AA 6pack from ebay and here are the results from my testing (Maha C9000).

Ran the "Refresh Analyze Cycle"
========================
Topping the battery off
#1 - 1103
#2 - 1096
#3 - 1074
#4 - 1173

Discharge
#1 - 2061
#2 - 2065
#3 - 1973
#4 - 2045

Recharge
#1- 2061
#2- 2065
#3 - 1973
#4 - 2045

Ran the "Break-IN Cycle"
===================
#1- 2166
#2- 2182
#3- 2120
#4- 2146

If theses Tenergy 2300's are really LSD's then you cant beat the price for 24 AA for $35 bucks shipped! These batteries will be going into everyday devices like clocks, remotes, kids toys, etc. I'm saving my Maha Imedions/Eneloops for my flashlights.

ama230

Enlightened
Thanks black camaro zr28 for the test as I do not have a charger that does the capacity readout. Also they are only going to get better as they take a few cycles to reach full capacity and it would be great iyou could report those numbers as well. Thanks again for the great work as its very appreciated on my part.:twothumbs

That is awesome the capacity is better than eneloops and they are guaranteed to hold their charge for a year. Also they are willing to take back any battery that doesn't live to the claim, as they are in California. This is a bold claim and I feel its more than real as the capacity shows that its a real deal.

As noted on just the voltage:

Eneloops: they measured 1.44-1.45v off the charger and for the first day.
A week later they measured 1.40v, second week 1.35v and then sit there son the nominal voltage is 1.34-1.35v.

Tenergy LSD: They are 1.39-1.4v off the charger and for the first day.
A week later the voltage was 1.37-1.38v, second week 1.33-1.34v and then sit there as well.

Conclusion: It seems that the eneloops have a higher nominal voltage, but as far as capacity the tenergy's are the clear winner here. I would like to see a test a month later on both cells to conclude this lsd deal as I have faith but that's not going to cut it as proof here.

blkcamarozr28

Newly Enlightened
I really hope they are true LSD's and not like those China LSD's that are just re-badged NiMH batteries.

The price per cell is just amazing ($35/24 = $1.46/per AA)
whereas the Eneloops/Imedion's are ($9.47/4 = $2.37/per AA or about ~$3.00/per AA with shipping.)

When I have sometime i'll top off 4 Eneloops/Imedion/Tenergy and let them sit for a month and get some remaining capacity readings. It seems too good to be true on these Tenergy's. ;)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks kramer5150 for the helpful input as it is an American Company that looks promising.

Last I checked, Tenergy was a Chinese company. Their "Global Headquarters" may be in the US, but their manufacturing plants for all their products are in China.

It will be interesting to see how well these do in the long run. Sounds like they are good cells, so far anyway.

Dave