Acebeam

Thread: Surefire 618 + M2 + LU60 + Malkoff M30 (will this work)??

Default Surefire 618 + M2 + LU60 + Malkoff M30 (will this work)??

Have been searching the forum for different ideas as to modding one of my 870 dedicated forends. I was thinking about trying a malkoff M30 (one 3V primary), M2 head and an LU60 collar/adapter. Can anyone tell me if Genes M30 will fit the LU60? I see that he sells a fitting ring for the shock isolated bezels just unsure about the malkoff fitting in the adapter.

Wish the threads on the collar were a bit longer however when I screw it in it sits very solidly in the forend.

Last edited by BUZ; 07-10-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: Surefire 618 + M2 + LU60 + Malkoff M30 (will this work)??

The LU60 features the "M2" bezel.
    As a Lamp Module on the H18 it becomes effectively 'LU30' or the Millennium version of the Classic L30, ie a Lamp Module powered by a single SF123A battery.

If the M60 can be dropped in the M95 (LU60) then I don't see why the M30 can't be dropped in the same Lamp Module on a different Housing such as the H18...

I am not sure about an M30, but I can state with 100% certainty that an M61 will not drop in to an LU60 adapter.

There are 2 problems with the fit:

1. OD of the M61 is .050" larger than the ID of the LU60.

2. There is raised ring on the base of the LU60 where the plastic ring buffer locks over preventing the M60 from seating and contacting the positive terminal of the cell.

With that said, I was able to get an M60 into an LU60 with the use of a dremel tool to overcome the above issues. If you have a lathe you can do it and make it look nice. You will need the Malkoff fitting ring to maintain adequate tension under recoil, especially in a 12 ga.
    Last edited by gt_mule; 07-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.

I had to mod a LU60 adaptor to get it to fit drop-ins too. I didn't have a Malkoff at the time so I can't speak for the I.D. but the raised ring at the bottom definately has to go. Like gt_mule said, with a lathe it's a snap, but a dremel will get the job done too.

That looks like a great setup for the 870
    My backpack's... got jets

Thanks for the info!
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Here's the before and after on an LU60 adapter I did to fit a Malkoff.

Before:

After:

I used an .860" reamer to open it up and a cutter to remove the ring. Cut down the plastic recoil spacer and you're good to go.