Maratac AAA Cu tarnish progression

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my Maratac AAA Cu starting to tarnish. Even though it would be ideal for me for it to get Statue Of Liberty green tarnished, Ill be happy if it goes down to 1974 penny down there...:D

The high polished finish is putting me off , so I will probably ScotchBrite this light and get rid of the finger print magnetized shine. It will give it a nice satin finish and should tarnish well.:devil:

DSC00494.jpg

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread needs more pictures!

Approx. 1 week of riding around in my pocket:
marataccutarnish800x600.jpg

I don't know if it'll ever hit Statue of Liberty green with the constant agitation, but in < 7 days it's already looking pretty cool!

saabgoblin

Enlightened
While I love my current key chain light, I think that this will soon be replacing my old standby or at least go into rotation. As Homer Simpson would say, "it's tarnaliscious".:thumbsup:

donn_

Flashaholic
It's pretty easy to accelerate the tarnish. I live in a marine climate, so I don't have to speed up oxidation of metal, but if you need to, simply pee on the light. Or, pee in a cup and use a small paint brush to apply to the light. You'll be amazed how well it works.

calebra

Banned
It's pretty easy to accelerate the tarnish. I live in a marine climate, so I don't have to speed up oxidation of metal, but if you need to, simply pee on the light. Or, pee in a cup and use a small paint brush to apply to the light. You'll be amazed how well it works.
ur a classic Donn, i will keep that in mind for my copper mary.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I was just about to suggest this.

I read an article in the newspaper recently where they sped up the tarnishing of a restored copper dome on an old cathedral over here by rubbing it in the urine of farm animals.:sick2: It worked though, it's as green and old looking as ever now..

saabgoblin

Enlightened

ur a classic Donn, i will keep that in mind for my copper mary.
Hey Donn, maybe you could start your own flashlight tarnishing service.:crackup:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool idea for a thread! I love the look of tarnished copper (and brass), so naturally I love the Maratac copper light. I'll have to post a pic once mine starts getting tarnished.

PS. I'm not peeing on mine! :duh2: