Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Maratac AAA Cu tarnish progression

Default Re: Maratac AAA Cu tarnish progression

Wont the tarnish, which is really oxidation I guess, eventually compromise the electrical conductivity of the threads?

Quote Originally Posted by mzil View Post
    Wont the tarnish, which is really oxidation I guess, eventually compromise the electrical conductivity of the threads?
    I would definitely think so. If I owned one, I would at least keep the threads and contact points shiny. Sorry if I'm repeating myself here (feelings of deja vu coming on): Simichrome works wonders on brass and copper, but honestly, white regular Colgate toothpaste and some toothbrush scrubbing or finger rubbing and then a rinse in hot water has been all I've ever needed to clean everything from copper to silver. It's cheap too since you can buy the dollar store made in Pakistan Colgate and not worry about the propylene glycol or whatever... I'm personally not a tarnish fan so I just gave my Peak Logan brass the Colgate treatment last night and it looks great!

Also, I have to make note of which of you are peeing on your lights in this thread in case I ever decide to buy one of these on the aftermarket!
    Last edited by shao.fu.tzer; 08-04-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post
    I would definitely think so. If I owned one, I would at least keep the threads and contact points shiny. Sorry if I'm repeating myself here (feelings of deja vu coming on): Simichrome works wonders on brass and copper, but honestly, white regular Colgate toothpaste and some toothbrush scrubbing or finger rubbing and then a rinse in hot water has been all I've ever needed to clean everything from copper to silver. It's cheap too since you can buy the dollar store made in Pakistan Colgate and not worry about the propylene glycol or whatever... I'm personally not a tarnish fan so I just gave my Peak Logan brass the Colgate treatment last night and it looks great!

Also, I have to make note of which of you are peeing on your lights in this thread in case I ever decide to buy one of these on the aftermarket!
    Mine's been in constant use for two months and the threads are still as shiny as they were when I got it, as is the inside of the body. I don't expect any contact issues in the near future.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mzil View Post
    I don't use mine but I cleaned the threads as soon as I got it and put some super-lube on the threads. They look fine.

Day 72 and it looks pretty much the same as day 40.

I gave it a nice coating of salt water today, so it's at home hopefully doing something. I want to see what the brine will do after a few more applications, then I think I'll polish it up again and start over.

Out of the Pocket and looking good. BTW this is an excellent Flashlight with great run-times on Eneloops.
    2 1/2 mths. in the pocket with just plain use i.e. no enhancements, fluids etc. Click image for Flickr Large on Black.
    Last edited by Sparky's Magic; 09-05-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Looking cool...I'm guessing it was alone in a pocket, no keys, or change, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    Looking cool...I'm guessing it was alone in a pocket, no keys, or change, right?
    No change, keys, knives etc. Not in that pocket, anyway. For a small AAA light the Maratac continues to amaze; the output is just right, the action (now) silky smooth with one-handed activation a breeze. I guess it's not really an EDC. but I carry it all the time. I've got another junk-free pocket for an HDS 200T - come Summer, when the jackets come off, I'll have to rethink where all the "Stuff" goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky's Magic View Post

Out of the Pocket and looking good. BTW this is an excellent Flashlight with great run-times on Eneloops.
    2 1/2 mths. in the pocket with just plain use i.e. no enhancements, fluids etc. Click image for Flickr Large on Black.
    Great pic! I'm amazed at how differently everyone's is turning out considering most everyone is carrying theirs in their pocket.

just ordered mine today!!!

has anyone opened / moded one of these yet?
    just wondering if there any different than the aluminum version, i have a neutral xpg r4 waiting for mine!!!!

I tried to remove the pill but it didn't budge
    I didn't try very hard, I didn't try boiling the head in a bag. Thats a good first step in case there is a glue/loctite holding it in there
    But then with thermal expansion the copper may expand and lock it in tighter so freezing might work better or a combination of the two.

Lets not hijack the thread anymore, staying on topic my Cu AAA has been on my keychain now since I took the first picture, doesn't look like its tarnished more but its had a few drops and plenty of scrapes
    Going in and out of my pocket may even be keeping it from tarnishing further, almost like a polishing effect

How 'bout a pic?

Honestly, this 'light needs no modification! For its' size the output is more than adequate, the run-time excellent and its' usefulness at closer ranges i.e. around the home, trips to the bathroom etc. could not be improved upon, IMO. The beam pattern and tint are so good, why 'tinker'?

jake said he wants to swap out the LED for a neutral tint xp-g

I'll get to the pics when I can

Quote Originally Posted by nein166 View Post
    jake said he wants to swap out the LED for a neutral tint xp-g

I'll get to the pics when I can
    That would be a righteous hack. It is a little blasphemous to have such a beautiful, warm light with a cool white LED.

Quote Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
    It is a little blasphemous to have such a beautiful, warm light with a cool white LED.
    +1

Don't know the present availability on these but I've got some if anyone's looking.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    +1

Don't know the present availability on these but I've got some if anyone's looking.
    I ordered mine Monday morning and they were in stock. I also ordered an embassy pen!

Perhaps my Maratac is warmer than what you guys have. This one is the closest thing I've seen to a true neutral with no suggestion of cool tint and what i would describe as a light golden tint and an even and seamless transition to spill. Like I said, I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky's Magic View Post
    Perhaps my Maratac is warmer than what you guys have. This one is the closest thing I've seen to a true neutral with no suggestion of cool tint and what i would describe as a light golden tint and an even and seamless transition to spill. Like I said, I like it a lot.
    Mine is definitely on the creamy, pleasing side of cool white. Worlds better than my cool white Quark.

Using my lizards tank to keep the lighting constant

You can see the deeper tarnish in the corners and along the high points its all scratched from the key teeth.
    The photo didn't come out that great I'll try more tomorrow the camera battery needs a charge

Before keychain

After Keychain
    Last edited by nein166; 09-17-2011 at 02:49 PM.

just got mine today!

heres my collection

@ jake...

Very nice collection! The Maratac really stands out in any company - I love mine and it's an excellent 'light to use but it is no longer shiny and bright.

these lights are a bit different than the aluminum version, but are still very easy to mod.

if you would like to see the mod, here it is:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...53#post3746753

moved
    Last edited by jake royston; 09-20-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Just realized I never posted the before picture.
    Fixed that in my previous post.
    My Cu AAA had been in a case for a half year after I got it and had a great deep patina but I've worn that down since carrying it on my keychain, only one part is still dark just after the tailcap where it doesn't rub on anything.

Still looks pretty good even after being on the keychain.

added day 4
    ill keep adding the pics to the same post to keep them together

It will take a while before it catches my tri-edc!

Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Jake, if you were to make an exact same framed picture each time, a time lapse video showing the progression could ultimately be made. Just a thought.

P.S. I've never done it, but I understand there are several free ways to do this:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Stop-Motion-Animation
    Last edited by mzil; 09-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast