Olympia Products
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Maratac AAA Cu tarnish progression

Default Re: Maratac AAA Cu tarnish progression

Quote Originally Posted by mzil View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I don't smoke, so this may be old hat to most who do, but it has recently come to my attention that there are fairly inexpensive ($10-12) inserts made by third party companies for Zippos, which turn them into jet flame (torch) "windproof" lighters. They are made by Z-Plus and Thunderbird brands.

Sorry to be off topic, but I thought to buy one as an addition to my survival kit. Most windproof lighters cost way more than this. I dont see why I'd even need the external Zippo casing, since while in my survival tin there's nothing to push down the ignition button by mistake.
    I don't smoke either (although I do enjoy a good pipe full of tobacco every once in a while) i mostly use the lighter at work burning the fuzz off the side of the straps we make. However to get back on topic I use my flashlight and lighter at work everyday, it's part of my edc. I also gift lights to my coworkers. I just don't tell them what they cost. All they know is they can't believe their so bright. Of course the copper stays safe with me..

this is awesome! they discontinued the Cu lights though right?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    they discontinued the Cu lights though right?
    Yes.

To keep my post legit:

Nice!

I'm very glad I bought a spare one of these. Really nice lights.

Hoo boy, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread!

The two things that bug me about this light are:
    - the flaky mode changes and
    - the cool white (bordering on blue) XP-E tint

Finally worked up the courage this evening to do something about the latter.

This light should get a little more pocket time now that it's rocking a Nichia 219! As for tarnish progression, it's pretty much steady as she goes. These things just seem to turn a reddish color and stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    Hoo boy, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread!

The two things that bug me about this light are:
    - the flaky mode changes and
    - the cool white (bordering on blue) XP-E tint

Finally worked up the courage this evening to do something about the latter.

This light should get a little more pocket time now that it's rocking a Nichia 219! As for tarnish progression, it's pretty much steady as she goes. These things just seem to turn a reddish color and stay there.
    how's the beam with a 219 in there?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

how's the beam with a 219 in there?
    Floodier and a little bit dimmer.

Floodier and a little bit dimmer.
    still perfectly usable i take it?

still perfectly usable i take it?
    Oh yeah it's just fine, I much prefer it to the XP-E that was in there. Mine had a particularly blue tint that I found quite ugly.

The 219 has run hotter in every single light that I've modded it into (probably due to the lower Vf) so I'm glad this one is copper, helps dissipate it a bit.

Thats One good looking bit of kit, another for the payday list.

Oh yeah it's just fine, I much prefer it to the XP-E that was in there. Mine had a particularly blue tint that I found quite ugly.

The 219 has run hotter in every single light that I've modded it into (probably due to the lower Vf) so I'm glad this one is copper, helps dissipate it a bit.
    got it, thanks!

Why in the world did they discontinue these? Really wish I could have found out about these before that happened.

I had always hoped for an AA or CR123 version. If they ever bring it back, I'll be in for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    I had always hoped for an AA or CR123 version. If they ever bring it back, I'll be in for another one.
    Or you can buy a Mac EDC, single-emitter or tri-emitter, with or without clip, in titanium, aluminum, or copper. This is what mine looks like, though admittedly I cheated on the initial stage of the patina.

Definitely beautiful, and I'd LOVE to have one, but...

Assuming I didn't have the option to sell it, I had to actually carry it and use it, I'd rather own the Maratac.

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    Better start saving your pennies, then.

Assuming I didn't have the option to sell it, I had to actually carry it and use it, I'd rather own the Maratac.
    I was responding to a post wishing for a CR123-based copper light. That's what my Mac EDC is. It could be a bit smaller if it used a twisty body instead of a clicky body, but other than that, the product the poster was wishing for already exists -- and it's easily serviceable, unlike the Maratac. However, if it's the Maratac brand name you're after, that's a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesantor
    Yes.

To keep my post legit:
    Where do you get those copper Krabs? I need one to match my copper pen, zippo, Maratac etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    However, if it's the Maratac brand name you're after, that's a different issue.
    No, its not the brand name. I was just commenting I'd prefer owning/using the Maratac AAA to the Mac EDC, that's all. I was offering an alternative opinion, in response to the post above mine where Toohotruk spoke of liking your light:
    Last edited by mzil; 07-19-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Is there a particular environment or handling that facilitates tarnishing? It's been a couple months since I polished it and my Maratac still looks pretty shiny. It resides in my desk drawer when not in use in a low humidity location.
    The nicest thing about not planning for a disaster is that it comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by a period of worry and depression

Better start saving your pennies, then.
    Yep! Maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    Is there a particular environment or handling that facilitates tarnishing? It's been a couple months since I polished it and my Maratac still looks pretty shiny. It resides in my desk drawer when not in use in a low humidity location.
    Humid air with sulfur dioxide. If it's salt air, even better.

Humid air with sulfur dioxide. If it's salt air, even better.
    Great! I plan on taking it to Hawaii next month.
    The nicest thing about not planning for a disaster is that it comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by a period of worry and depression

Unenlightened

Looks like these are back and upgraded: http://countycomm.com/aaacopper.html I missed out the first time around and had to get by checking this thread for photos, so thanks!

What I liked about the original version was that one could use a 10440 battery on "medium" for as long as one wanted (and it had greater brightness, on par with with using a 1.5 V battery on "high") as well as the high voltage 10440 on "high" for turbo mode, althouth only for a short time due to over heating. Now that there are only two brightness settings on rev #2, not three, that is lost.

Disclaimer: "10440 batts not recomended"
    Last edited by mzil; 08-21-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Flashaholic

Disclaimer: "10440 batts not recomended"
    Someone correct me if im wrong, but I thought it has always said that on their website that 10440 is not recommended. Its not recommended because like the last one its not made to handle 10440, but in small doses you may not cook it.

Correct, it has always said "not recommended", that's not new, but with the new lo/high only options (no medium) you have no means to have a fairly bright flashlight for extended use (when using a 10440). That's what the "Medium" setting on the first version gives you.

I don't own a rev. 2 Maratac AAA (I only have the original), but I assume with a 10440 battery on "High" it will get hot quickly and can only be used for brief periods of time, and on "Low" you wouldn't want an increase in brightness anyways because you want to preserve night vision. Even if it can handle a 10440 for short bursts only, having a flashlight that losses the ability to just stay on for extended periods with a reasonable, typical brightness, without fear of it burning out, (except in the dimmest mode) makes little sense to me in terms of how I personally use flashlights. YMMV.
    Last edited by mzil; 08-22-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    Someone correct me if im wrong, but I thought it has always said that on their website that 10440 is not recommended. Its not recommended because like the last one its not made to handle 10440, but in small doses you may not cook it.
    You are correct, but mzil has a point.
    With the old 3 mode, you can run it forever in medium mode with a 10440. It's bright without getting too hot.

On the bright side, I got the new 2 mode version today, and i cant detect any pwm i yey Seems to be current controlled.

Lo mode is pretty bright with a IMR 10440. Seems to be in the ballpark of the medium modes in "standard 3 mode lights". Useful bright.
    High mode is as always, amazing and heats up. So with the new version, you loose a proper lo mode (and a long running "bright" mode) when using a (not recomended) 10440.

The old version had 3 clips and 3 keychain rings, new got one set.
    Edit. the old keychain ring is bendt different and has more spring to it than the new one. Mutch better fit. The new one was loose and ratteling. I think it got a less hardened steel. It got bendt and ended up ratteling everytime i put it back on. One of my spare keychainrings from ver1 fits like a champ. It klings on there like a baby on a gorilla.. zero room for moving.
    Last edited by jorn; 08-22-2012 at 10:00 AM.