NiteFighter

Thread: Homemade ceramic and nylon liner lock folder (w/pics)

Default Homemade ceramic and nylon liner lock folder (w/pics)

Here's something I threw together today. It's the first knife handle I've made. I wanted a metal free locking folder but I didn't want to pay the $$$ for a custom professionally-made one.

I started with a ceramic knife from DX that came with a big, ugly, heavy handle. Then I bought some 1/8" black nylon 6/6 strip and a pack of 10-24 1/2" nylon screws. Before I started, I didn't know that the screws had plain-colored cores. With the exception of making sure the knife's blade was thinner than 1/8" and making sure that #10 screws are the closest English size to the 5mm hole through the blade, I made no measurements and did everything freehand. I didn't really consider how the knife would look. It just kind of came together as I was making it.

The knife as finished. Total weight: 44g.

The inside layer. I think I did pretty well considering that I wasn't looking at the blade when I marked my cut, which was a total freehand guess. The blade rests on the screw, and doesn't touch the inner layer at all. I used one of the bushings that came in the knife thinned by crushing it in the vice to eliminate lateral play.

Tapping the screw holes. I had to put the clamps that close to prevent the layers coming apart. The nylon material is very tough but also very flexible.

Liner lock, as promised

Next to heinous stock handle

With Victorinox OHT showing size.
    Last edited by LukeA; 07-12-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

Default Re: Homemade ceramic and nylon liner lock folder (w/pics)

i saw the dx model and deemed it useless and ugly just because of that handle. (ceramic blade with heavy handle made no sense to me)

but this your "souped up" version makes lot more sense.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

Thanks!

Nicely done!

Flashaholic

Good job LukeA, very simple and neat handle, a huge improvement over that DX clunker How's the ceramic blade? Is it reasonable quality? Looks like that would make a nice, light EDC

Very cool. How'd you get the liner lock bent like that?

Flashaholic

Awesome job btw and it looks like there is just the right tolerance to hold it in place once you push the liner under the blade, but its only my guess.
    "When you do something right, no one remembers. When you do something wrong, no one forgets."
    Edison was right with dc all along...

Quote Originally Posted by liveforphysics View Post
    Nicely done!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ASheep View Post
    Good job LukeA, very simple and neat handle, a huge improvement over that DX clunker How's the ceramic blade? Is it reasonable quality? Looks like that would make a nice, light EDC
    Thanks! The blade is nicely ground, but the bevel is a little too wide IMO. It's about ±30˚, so it can seem like it's not that sharp, but I can live with it as a compromise for edge durability.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    Very cool. How'd you get the liner lock bent like that?
    Thanks! I just cold bent it using my hand and then my bench vise and it came out alright. After sitting with the knife closed for a while the lock only closes about halfway across the blade, but it's probably plenty, and I can still push the lock to engage the whole way like in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by ama230 View Post
    Awesome job btw and it looks like there is just the right tolerance to hold it in place once you push the liner under the blade, but its only my guess.
    Thank you! You're right, I got pretty lucky with regard to the lack of play in the liner lock. When I cut the liner lock, I planned to make it too long and to shorten it until it fit, but it fit right off the bat. Also, the blade is ground with an angle where the lock engages to give a little length tolerance and still have solid engagement.

That 'heinous' stock handle is a direct copy of a Tachi ceramic that retails for about 4x the price of the knock-off that DX is selling.

Quote Originally Posted by gallonoffuel View Post
    That 'heinous' stock handle is a direct copy of a Tachi ceramic that retails for about 4x the price of the knock-off that DX is selling.
    It's ugly at any price