Homemade ceramic and nylon liner lock folder (w/pics)

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's something I threw together today. It's the first knife handle I've made. I wanted a metal free locking folder but I didn't want to pay the $$$ for a custom professionally-made one.

I started with a ceramic knife from DX that came with a big, ugly, heavy handle. Then I bought some 1/8" black nylon 6/6 strip and a pack of 10-24 1/2" nylon screws. Before I started, I didn't know that the screws had plain-colored cores. With the exception of making sure the knife's blade was thinner than 1/8" and making sure that #10 screws are the closest English size to the 5mm hole through the blade, I made no measurements and did everything freehand. I didn't really consider how the knife would look. It just kind of came together as I was making it.

The knife as finished. Total weight: 44g.
86e41b08.jpg

The inside layer. I think I did pretty well considering that I wasn't looking at the blade when I marked my cut, which was a total freehand guess. The blade rests on the screw, and doesn't touch the inner layer at all. I used one of the bushings that came in the knife thinned by crushing it in the vice to eliminate lateral play.
f2c7375b.jpg

Tapping the screw holes. I had to put the clamps that close to prevent the layers coming apart. The nylon material is very tough but also very flexible.
5e0d3ac3.jpg

Liner lock, as promised
099b9299.jpg

Next to heinous stock handle
b434cd3a.jpg

3b00bb49.jpg

With Victorinox OHT showing size.
45defe96.jpg

Last edited:

ASheep

Enlightened
Good job LukeA, very simple and neat handle, a huge improvement over that DX clunker :) How's the ceramic blade? Is it reasonable quality? Looks like that would make a nice, light EDC :D

ama230

Enlightened
Awesome job btw:thumbsup: and it looks like there is just the right tolerance to hold it in place once you push the liner under the blade, but its only my guess.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely done!

Thank you!

Good job LukeA, very simple and neat handle, a huge improvement over that DX clunker :) How's the ceramic blade? Is it reasonable quality? Looks like that would make a nice, light EDC :D

Thanks! The blade is nicely ground, but the bevel is a little too wide IMO. It's about ±30˚, so it can seem like it's not that sharp, but I can live with it as a compromise for edge durability.

Very cool. How'd you get the liner lock bent like that?

Thanks! I just cold bent it using my hand and then my bench vise and it came out alright. After sitting with the knife closed for a while the lock only closes about halfway across the blade, but it's probably plenty, and I can still push the lock to engage the whole way like in the picture.

Awesome job btw:thumbsup: and it looks like there is just the right tolerance to hold it in place once you push the liner under the blade, but its only my guess.

Thank you! You're right, I got pretty lucky with regard to the lack of play in the liner lock. When I cut the liner lock, I planned to make it too long and to shorten it until it fit, but it fit right off the bat. Also, the blade is ground with an angle where the lock engages to give a little length tolerance and still have solid engagement.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
That 'heinous' stock handle is a direct copy of a Tachi ceramic that retails for about 4x the price of the knock-off that DX is selling.