New Surefire bezels fastened on body tube?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too sure if I should start a new thread on this but if the mods felt that it is better for me to continue this thread in a current discussion of the Stratum then please feel free to move it.

I just bought a Surefire Stratum and an AZ2. I was overjoyed to know that I am able to Lego the head of the AZ2 to the black E2e and E2D that I already have but was a little disappointed that the bezel of the Stratum is not removable. I wrote an email to Surefire to inquire about this as well as asked about the LX1 release date and this is what I got for the reply.

Dear Sir,

The LED module on the Stratum (as well as several other new lights) has
been adhered to the body using Loctite- I do not recommend removing the
LED module. The LX1 is currently scheduled to be released late summer of
this year. We are also planning to release the (now) UB3T Invictus this
year as well. The UA2 has been cancelled. If you have any other
questions please let me know.

Chris Smith
Technical Support Representative
SUREFIRE, LLC
17680 Newhope St. Suite B I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
T 800-828-8809 F 714-545-9537

This serve as a post to tell other would be buyers who may have the intention of swapping the bezel of both the Stratum and Z2-S combatlight that it may not be possible to do so. I know how to loosen epoxy but how about Loctite...??? Never mind, it is not important at all since I like the Stratum the way it is. Just thought some of you may want to know this. Overall, the Stratum is a very nice utility light for camping and trekking needs. On medium power it is bright enough for many tasks and the spill is awesome.

Also I reside in a country where it is tropical throughout. So could someone please tell me when late summer is? Are we talking about October for the LX1? I just can't help feeling that it might be pushed again after 2 years of waiting for it.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
loctite comes loose with heat, but I am unsure whether surefire used permanent or the weaker removable locite. :thinking:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
loctite comes loose with heat, but I am unsure whether surefire used permanent or the weaker removable locite. :thinking:
I think the SF loctite is as permanent as they can make it ... :devil:

SFL2012.jpg

tsl

Enlightened
i didn't know anything about this when I received my first Z2-S and later the second one. As part of a general routine, I disassemble the light, clean the threads and o-ring, lube, and reassemble. I found the bezel of the first Z2-S tight but not too difficult to remove. There was some red residue on the threads ... didn't know at the time what it was, but now I'm thinking it is red loctite? The threads of the 2nd Z2-S were clean.

Does anyone know how to remove red loctite residue? I only have a small amount left on the threads of Z2-S # 1, but I'd like to get the threads completely clean if possible.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi tsl,

Either you've got very strong hands or you're lucky to get two Z2-S with very minimal amount of Loctite. Falling short of using a vice, I am still unable to untwist the head from the body. Anyway, it's not important to me since I don't intend to mod the Stratum nor do I see the new head as being interchangeable with any previous Surefire models like the M2, C2, 6P and so on.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall one of my friend who owns an E1L dropped it accidentally, and the top half of the head holding the TIR just came loose. So now he have a "focusable" E1L. Is Loctite a harder and more rigid adhesive than epoxy? Is it more brittle than epoxy?

tsl

Enlightened
Hi tsl,

Either you've got very strong hands or you're lucky to get two Z2-S with very minimal amount of Loctite. Falling short of using a vice, I am still unable to untwist the head from the body. Anyway, it's not important to me since I don't intend to mod the Stratum nor do I see the new head as being interchangeable with any previous Surefire models like the M2, C2, 6P and so on.

I must have gotten two Z2-Ss with a minimal amount of Loctite.

8Fishes

Newly Enlightened
Wow, you are indeed lucky.

Red loctite is the 'hardest' stuff.

Comes in blue, green, and red flavors that I know of, and in increasing strength.

tsl sounds like he lucked out, and they practically forgot to put some on his threads. It's pretty much GG if they apply the intended amount of the threads. Don't think you'll be able to break the seal in short of destorying the head.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well at least the new KX4 6P LED are not glued to the body. Haven't tried to remove the LED module from the head though (I ain't gonna try either)

carrot

Flashaholic
Seems like Surefire wants us to see the Stratum as a new light, not some random extra parts for LEGO play. Just like you can't lego the A2, so not a big problem, although weird for those expecting something else.

Since the Stratum is theoretically not upgradable it'd be nice if they sold it a bit cheaper than normal.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has it got to do with Stratum and Z2-S sharing the same head but a different UI? I mean SF not wanting us to swap the head around?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
YIKES. That looks like it will destroy the head entirely! I can't watch...
Lol, not a single pinpoint scratch - I had rubber sheet between the hose clamps and the head. I've done this a few times now and it works perfectly - haven't gotten a mark yet. :huh:

It's very easy to 'crack' the loctite this way once everything is arranged.

tsl

Enlightened
I must have gotten two Z2-Ss with a minimal amount of Loctite.

I must have not cleanded and lubed the bezel end of my second Z2-S when I got it, only the tailcap end. I went to unscrew the bezel to confirm that there was no loctite, and the bezel would not budge.

So, I only have one where a minimal amount of Loctite had been applied.