Brightest LED upgrade for 2AAA Mini-Mag

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the best and brightest LED upgrade for the 2AAA mini mag, no budget, just simply want the best. Searches point to the Terralux TLE-20 but I'm wondering if there's something better.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since high powered LED flashlights hit the stores, LED upgrades are harder and harder to find.
With the 2AAA minimag not the most popular mag the TLE-20 and some chinese clones of it are all you will find now. The TLE-20 is not all that bright and the beam is horrible - the hotspot and corona is different colour tint making it hard to see.

If you want a good light in the 2AAA format the Neutral-white 4sevens Preon 2 is probably your best bet.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I was gonan spend big bucks to upgrade my AA minimaglight... By the time I spend that much, I may as well just pay $25 for another Solarforce LED... So, I just bought the cheap one...

There are probably other lights similiar in size to your AAA light that would be better than spending the most $ for an expensive upgrade.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
On ebay, there is a 20 lumen upgrade for $8.50 delivered and a 18.5lm upgrade for $7.50. And for $12.95, you get the 36 lumen TLE-20.

The TLE-20 runs at .5 watt. It has been upgraded from 25 to 30 and now rated at 36lm.

Only thing better is what you make yourself.

An XPG R5 at 1/2 watt would crank out ~60-75lm and I would guess that it would work well enough direct drive.

I'm happy with my 20lm upgrade. My 2aaa maglite is very very old and needed a bulb anyway. Its being used again!!!

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I might just go ahead and try the TLE-20. It's a shame that there wasn't more attention towards aftermarket options for the 2AAA mini mag, all the attention was focused on it's big brother, the 2AA. Regardless, I will continue to use my 2AAA, even using the stock incan lamp it is still one of my favorite lights to use.

Cemoi

Enlightened
I'm happy with my 20lm upgrade

How is the beam, better than the "horrible" TLE-20 beam reported by LEDninja?

Can you please provide a link to your upgrade, or a more accurate reference allowing me to find it on eBay?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
ebow86 have you bought your TLE-20 yet?
If not I have a spare.
No reflector. I do but I have painted it white to try reduce the ringy beam. Now its all flood.
PM me your address if you are still interested.

If not please post here so I can offer it to Cemoi.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
http://myworld.ebay.com/sinounionechnologyld

Beam is good enough and definitely better than what the original bulb was.

The 2aaa mini mag has its purpose, as long as you don't expect it to replace a monster spotlight.

I'm not a lumen junkie. Most of my cheapo flashlights... have been upgraded with LED. Definitely worth the money vs disposing old & buying new.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you consider a Preon II? Not sure what your Mini-Mag is like compared to the Preon, but I've got to say, I'm extremely impressed with the Preon. Mind boggling output, three levels, beautiful beam, clicky tailcap.