New Dereelight Dbs V3 semi-review

cordystoy

Newly Enlightened
Received my new light, great service from Flashlight connection. The light itself is great. I'm not a techie but the throw and beam pattern looks flawless. Fit and finish looks perfect no scratches and everything looks tight. I easily compares quality wise with any of my Surefire, Fenix, or Streamlights, and out throws them all.

With the three outputs its a very usable light. I've only had it 3 days but it works great walking the dog at night. It's pretty hard for him to get out of range of this light. The middle setting is very usable for close range with out blinding everyone nearby. Haven't had it long enough to burn through any batteries ( I have the cr123 version, R5), but I'm starting out with some Panasonics I've had for awhile, I've already ordered some new ones from the Battery station.

I'm not smart enough to do beamshot pictures or anything, but I have allot of lights (6p,SL20, tk20, pd1....too many) but this one has the nicest output I've seen. Obviously a lot cooler than the tk20, and a much cleaner beam the the SL20.

Took the clip off, it was too tight for me to use, but the anodize in the screw holes is fully covered, nice attention to detail. I don't see any way to hook up a lanyard which is the only con I can think of, but it's not really if you don't use a lanyard I do. Maybe Dereelight will come up with something, I didn't see anything on their website.

Great website would never have even known about this light without it.

jblackwood

Enlightened
I'm guessing, based on your usage and battery choice comments, that you got a 3SM XP-G R5, correct? It's kind of important to state things like this when sharing your experiences with Dereelights due to their highly modular nature. When I got my first DBS,, for example, I got the 3SD pill with an XR-E R2 and a smooth reflector.

Congrats on purchasing a great light that still serves me well! As far as lanyards, go, when you attach the anti-roll ring, there are little "vents" that are meant for your lanyard. For some reason, they don't help too much with the anti-roll but they do a marvelous job with lanyard attachment point as well as giving you a little more grip when using it in a 3 finger grip. Don't tighten the screws too much, I ripped the heads right off of mine at first. They're not supposed to tighten all the way in order to hold the anti-roll ring or the clip ring in place tightly.

Oh yeah . . . :welcome:

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your DBS purchase. It's the first affordable modular light IMHO and I've had XR-E, MC-E and SST-50 pills in mine. Battery configurations can run from 2x CR123a to 1x 18650 or 2x 18500 & 18650 depending on LED pill driver type. Even an aspherical head is available.

A very versatile light that's tough to outgrow for real-world usage.

Ditto on the welcome to CPF!

jblackwood

Enlightened
Congrats on your DBS purchase. It's the first affordable modular light IMHO and I've had XR-E got it, MC-E got it and SST-50 pills in mine ok, don't have it but want it! Battery configurations can run from 2x CR123a got that to 1x 18650 my preferred ammo or 2x 18500 again, don't have it & 18650 I love 2x18650 depending on LED pill driver type. Even an aspherical head is available it's my favorite thrower besides my DEFTs!!!.

I couldn't agree more, plus it and it's smaller cousin the CL1H are pretty easy on the eyes and in the hand.

IvoC

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on your DBS purchase. It's the first affordable modular light IMHO and I've had XR-E, MC-E and SST-50 pills in mine. Battery configurations can run from 2x CR123a to 1x 18650 or 2x 18500 & 18650 depending on LED pill driver type. Even an aspherical head is available.

Ditto on the welcome to CPF!

Hi to all

DBS_V3 vs TK_35
Look at this two pictures and write the comment please!

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6619/dbsv3.png
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/802/tk35.png

amraspalantir

Newly Enlightened
IvoC...welcome to CPF. i thought you were posting pics between the v3 and tk-35.

jblackwood / SCEMan....any of you guys tried out the new 1.5A xr-e r2 pill from deerelight? i have the 2 x cr123 dbs v3
light with aspherical. was wondering if it really makes a significant difference.