Spy, McGizmo and Milkyspit Beam Shots!!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know where else to put this - and not a lot of set up required. In this photo:
IMG_1262.JPG

The pile of straw is about 75 feet from the camera. I am at a 35mm equivalent of about 60mm. This photo was shot as the sun was sinking with a slow shutter, high ISO and open aperture. That pile of debris just off to the left of the second tree from the right is my target.

Camera is a Canon EOS 40D with a Sigma 18-50 2.8 lens. Lens is zoomed to 37mm (60 mm equivalent on a 35mm film camera). ISO1000, shutter 1 full second, aperture at 6.3. All of the photos can be seen at higher resolution HERE.

I believe these beam shots give you a really good representation of the way each of these different lights 'function.' The light used is labeled in each photo.

Enjoy!

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

Left this little guy out the first time - just returned from Tekno Cowboy's labs :)thumbsup:) my Arc 6 - with a nice, neutral XPG emitter and a shiny new reflector. Travis is doin' some fine work - and the light is amazing! It's a keeper - it's my only remaining PD light, and the size and weight are perfect for EDC. And check out that sweet beam!
IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

For those not yet familiar with it, this is the new McGizmo Makai..
IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

Amazing lights, all!!:wave: :twothumbs

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must...get...007 XPG neutral :ohgeez:

Great beamshots Dan! Nice scenery too. I didn't realize the Elendil was so flood oriented.

Barbarian

Enlightened
Great comparison shots Dan.

We get to see the difference between the XP-G (more flood) and the XR-E (more throw) Haiku's.

That 170CN shows its throwing power, while your E2DL is tremendous. I have noticed that light in your other beam shots as well.

The M1X laughs at the lack of distance to light up.

The new Makai does what it is advertised to do and the Tri-V shows its versatilty.

Thanks.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

We get to see the difference between the XP-G (more flood) and the XR-E (more throw) Haiku's.

That 170CN shows its throwing power, while your E2DL is tremendous. I have noticed that light in your other beam shots as well.

The new Makai does what it is advertised to do and the Tri-V shows its versatilty.

Thanks.

Great summary Tim! You basically quoted each of my thoughts as I looked at Dan's pics. :laughing:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOOPS!! In the original post, I left out a very important 'new' member of the family - my Arc 6, fresh upon return from Tekno Cowboy's workshop :)devil:) with a nice, new neutral XPG and a shiny new reflector. Full review on this light tomorrow (hey, I'm at the beach - doing these reviews is relaxing for me! :p), but for now a beam shot has been inserted into the review.

:wave: lovecpf

jslappa

Enlightened
Man, that RA 170 throws a fantastic beam! Thanks for posting these shots. They really help the audience see how the XP-G has a better spill, while the XR-E has the deeper reach.

Not to be a pain, but is there any way you could set the Tri-V to all three emitters at 3000mAh, and use that same setup? I'd love to see how that would compare to the other beams.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its amazing the differences between lights. One of the things that makes this hobby so interesting. Its kind of like audio, the subtle differences between amplifiers.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work ! :clap:

I wonder how Mac's edc sst-50 beamshot look along that line of comparison.

And I begin to love more and more of my Haiku XR-E these days. :)

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened
Great job, thank you for doing this! I really like the flood on the XPG lights.

What emitter is used in your Elendil?

SFfanman

Enlightened

Thanks.

+2 :thumbsup:

Agreed! I am enjoying mine more and more these days as well. Is it good to have a XR-E back in your hands, Run4JC?

I think these could very well be your best shots. Excellent host (debris mound) and surrounding trees and sand environ. That 170 really does throw for a single cell light and the Makai tops the E2DL, although its beam is lovely. The asepheric Tri-V reminds me of a horror movie where the audience only gets to see a glimpse into the story scene. Well done. :party:

GregWormald

Enlightened
Nice comparison. It really shows how the surrounding territory also has an influence on the lights usefulness.

The white beach really accents the flood of the 'floodier' lights and makes the distance they illuminate much less apparent.

I didn't recognise the Haiku XPG 'cause where I use mine outdoors the foreground is usually dark green or brown and the throw is emphasised.

The Tri-V spot is phenomenal--I'd love to see a shot of that square beam out another 100 feet or so.

Greg

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, that RA 170 throws a fantastic beam!

Not to be a pain, but is there any way you could set the Tri-V to all three emitters at 3000mAh, and use that same setup? I'd love to see how that would compare to the other beams.

Yes, the 170 is a treasure and a bit of a sleeper. It is usually my back up light (in case the Tri-V batteries die or something - yet to happen). For the money, it's IMHO one of the best values out there.

And tonight, weather permitting, I'll absolutely add a few shots - including flood only, flood and reflector, flood and spot, reflector and spot, and the shock and awe of all three at 3000mA. I will feel like "Tim the Toolman" when that light show starts up!! :devil:

I wonder how Mac's edc sst-50 beamshot look along that line of comparison.

Don't have a specimen in hand at the moment (Mac's)- darn! Wish I did. And I just recently reacquired an XR-E - did a bit or horse trading, and glad I did. I still think that is one of the best out there.

this makes me extremely excited about the HDS170 ill be getting soon, my aeon has been my nonstop EDC for the last year and a half and while its absolutely amazing for its size i think this will make a good replacement.

It's a great light.

Great job, thank you for doing this! I really like the flood on the XPG lights.

What emitter is used in your Elendil?

The Elendil has a 5700k SST-50. Milky was very 'particular' about the emitters he put in the Elendils he built

Agreed! I am enjoying mine more and more these days as well. Is it good to have a XR-E back in your hands, Run4JC?
I think these could very well be your best shots. :party:
I really love that XRE Beam. Lisa and I did a swap - her XRE BB head for my Warm XPG BB head. I LOVED the warm XPG, but given the choice, I'd rather have my regular XPG and an XRE than regular XPG and warm XPG. It's a classic. Thanks for the kind words all

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice comparison. It really shows how the surrounding territory also has an influence on the lights usefulness.

The white beach really accents the flood of the 'floodier' lights and makes the distance they illuminate much less apparent.

I didn't recognise the Haiku XPG 'cause where I use mine outdoors the foreground is usually dark green or brown and the throw is emphasised.

The Tri-V spot is phenomenal--I'd love to see a shot of that square beam out another 100 feet or so.

Greg

Your comments are on the money! The beach really highlights the spill. As for a bit more throw on the Tri-V, please check back late tonight or in the morning. There will be more Tri-V shots posted! Too much fun...lovecpf

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great set of pics :thumbsup:

The beamshot of the Ra 170 has pushed me over the edge
.... I'll be ordering one on Monday :devil: