60 watt home bulb vs. LED

trauts14

Newly Enlightened
When is somebody (or have they) come out with a standard light bulb that everybody uses that will be equal in lumens and LED driven. Wasn't Sylvania supposed to introduce one in 2010?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ecosmart sold at HomeDepot for about $20 is probably the first recommendation you should look at now. However, it's about a 100 lumens short of a typical 60watt bulb. You'll likely start seeing more bulbs in this class and performance start to come out from the big boys.

You can get more light from LED, but you'll need to move to PAR 30 or 38. It's a simple physics problem that's not going to be solved with current LED technology; only so much heat can be handled in a light bulb sized package.

fadingrae

Newly Enlightened
Sylvania seemed haven't introduced such bulb yet.

But there do have 60w incandescent equvalent led bulbs, maybe you could have a look at the 4W~6W Led bulbs at amazon.com, feedbacks there could help a lot.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100670744

Its equivalent to the Ecosmart but more expensive. Besides Homedepot, I've seen the Sylvanias at BJs wholesale club too.

Light output is similar but Ecosmart is a little brighter.

Ecosmart/Sylvania need to move up to more efficient LEDs since both bulbs get too hot. I just don't see wattage going over 9w without a drastic decrease in driver or LED life.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273650

Other options are the Ccrane Geobulbs:
http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/geobulb/index-3.aspx
And EarthLED:
http://www.earthled.com/products.html

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

DanManTX

Newly Enlightened

kethd

Newly Enlightened

What exactly is "remote phosphorous technology"?

The DOE rules require "Energy consumption of less than 10 watts", so how does this 12W bulb qualify?

Have any of these bulbs been seen in the wild? Any updated exact expectations of when/where will be sold?

spaceman

Newly Enlightened

The DOE rules require "Energy consumption of less than 10 watts", so how does this 12W bulb qualify?

Have any of these bulbs been seen in the wild? Any updated exact expectations of when/where will be sold?
Our local Home Depot (Washington DC area) is selling "60W" LED lights. I'd love to buy them - if the price was a lot lower!

Optical Inferno

Enlightened
QUOTE]

If you will notice, the LED bulb has a yellow look to it but the light is not yellow but white. Typical white LEDs have the yellow inside the package and not on the dome. This yellow is the phosphor. It's considered remote because the phosphor isn't in contact with the LED. They put blue LEDs inside the bulb and the yellow phosphor converts it to white light.

Why do this instead of just using white LEDs? It gives a more even distribution of the light.

kethd

Newly Enlightened
Putting the phosphor separate from the LED, on the outside of the bulb, seems sort of obvious and a good idea - the phosphor should last better, the LEDs should be cheaper, the exterior light should be more even... Are there any disadvantages of this approach? Takes more phosphor - is this expensive?

Putting the phosphor separate from the LED, on the outside of the bulb, seems sort of obvious and a good idea - the phosphor should last better, the LEDs should be cheaper, the exterior light should be more even... Are there any disadvantages of this approach? Takes more phosphor - is this expensive?

Dopants I used to work on were around $10,000 a gram.

LED phosphor, don't know. There are places you can buy /mix match online with pricing- I had a link to it at once point.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
When is somebody... come out with a standard light bulb that... that will be equal in lumens and LED driven.

A standard 60 watt incan is around 850 lumens. It is easy to get that much light out of LEDs. However, if you place them close enough together to be roughly the same size and shape as that 60 watt bulb, they start to overheat each other. Lots of ways to address this problem, no standard answer yet.

When manufacturers first came out with CFL bulbs, they routinely lied about the new products, particularly about their brightness. This caused people to develop skepticism about CFLs. If you follow the links to the various bulbs linked above you will see that the ones listed as "60 watt equivalent" are actually 40 or 50 watt equivalent. Bear this in mind if you go out shopping for them.

Last edited:

outdoor1

Newly Enlightened
There are several companies that are available in showroooms and electrical distributors that can do this. I beleive a company called bulbbrite has one as well as compainies that carry nichea led products.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recovered the following data from Google's cache manually.
Please post any errors and corrections in a new post below.
-
The format is:
Date, time, old postcount#, poster;
post data
-
I will try to fix the CPF links in the next 2 weeks or until I give up in frustration. Can not do that and verify with CPF down.

-----

11-20-2010 03:36 PM #16 liteheaded

kethd said:

They put blue LEDs inside the bulb and the yellow phosphor converts it to white light.

Why do this instead of just using white LEDs? It gives a more even distribution of the light.
Aren't blue LEDs cheaper than white LEDs? See this article on the invention of white LED's. Other sources claim another inventor accomplished this five years earlier.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9777070/ns/technology_and_science-science

-----

11-20-2010 04:22 PM #17 MikeAusC

liteheaded said:
See this article on the invention of white LED's. Other sources claim another inventor accomplished this five years earlier.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9777070/ns/technology_and_science-science
Don't you just love gems from some journalists "LEDs don't emit heat, so they're also more energy efficient."
Mike R

-----

11-21-2010 01:38 PM #18 liteheaded

MikeAusC said:
Don't you just love gems from some journalists "LEDs don't emit heat, so they're also more energy efficient."
He's thinking of the wimpy indicator LEDs in electronics. I'm not sure if the well-known "blinking twelve" is lit by LEDs.

-----

12-22-2010 04:52 PM #19 fnj

kethd said:
The DOE rules require "Energy consumption of less than 10 watts"
What "rules" are these?

-----

12-22-2010 09:54 PM #20 yuandrew

kethd said:
The DOE rules require "Energy consumption of less than 10 watts"
FNJ said:
What "rules" are these?

That was one of the requirements in the "L" prize book

http://www.lightingprize.org/pdfs/LPrize-Revision1.pdf

(go to page 8 of 18 and look under product category requirements for the 60 watt incandescent replacement)

-----

12-24-2010 05:16 PM #21 blasterman

I'm guessing, but probably because the larger dome of remote phosphors gives a softer distrubution of light. Why in blazes would you want a single point LED blazing at 800 lumens and them have to lose efficiency diffusing it?

Next guess; the remote phosphors are off die and hence aren't getting baked at on die temps.