• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

MM+Q3 and rechargeables

Zeppert

Enlightened
MM+Q3 and rechargeables

Can someone help clarify the stories I hear about MM+ and rechargeable batteries not working well together. I'm waiting for my MM+Q3 to arrive and I want to use my newer 2200mAh Powerex cells in it. Will there be a problem? Some folks are saying they aren't good together. I have been running them in my BB400Q3 and they work well. Give me some insight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
Re: MM+Q3 and rechargeables

Since the MM is voltage regulated you will sacrifice a little brightness because of the lower initial voltage of the NiMHs. But I don't think that the difference will be all that big, because alkalines will drop considerably under load, while the rechargeables remain quite constant.

Chris

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I thought (and may be wrong) that the difference in using rechargeables was that the BadBoys cut off at a higher voltage vs the MadMax which cuts off a very low voltage. Isn't there a limit on how low you should take a rechargeable?

LoneRebel

Enlightened

If memory serves, NiMh's are not supposed to be discharged below .8v. So you shouldn't use NiMh's with the madmax because the madmax will keep sucking the life out of your batteries by staying regulated even below .8v. The badboy will fall out of regulation before .8v is reached.
The madmax is great if you want to suck the life out of batteries. That is exactly what you want to do if you are using alkalines. But if you go beyond .8v you are going to damage your NiMh's.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

NiMH is all I use in all three of my MadMax+. They are fine. You wil notice it being dim in plenty of time to change the cells.
Usually, when I change mine the are 1.0 - 1.1V.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Use NiMh in my MM+ also. Do not like a dim light so I change out ASAP. My MM+ is drawing close to 1 amp with rechargables.

Bill

sflate

Enlightened

I too only use NiMh (1600ma & 1800ma so far) in several MM and MM+ and have not had any problems. As has been said, you will have plenty of warning when the light starts to dim.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would just like to add, that I ran my flagship (best & brightest) MadMax+ R2H the other night, on fresh PowerEX 2200 mAh, while reading a book with it.
It ran about 90 minutes before I noticed the dimming.

All of my MadMax+s, 2 R2Hs and a Q3L, seem to drop out of regulation & dim in an instant. I'm reading with it, and I notice it dim, as if the Kroll were causing a flicker. It then runs on at a quite respectable brightness, for longer than I care to time it.

I have never changed the cells and found them to be as low as 0.8 V.

The MadMax+ is the most serviceable & brightest 2 AA light there is, as far as I know. No one else that builds lights drives a 1 watt luxeon at 800 mA.

And furthermore, a MadMax+ with an R2H in one of Rothrandir's Mini-Mini-Mags has got to be the brightest readily pocketable light available on this forum.

Can you tell that I kind of like both of these products?

Zeppert

Enlightened

Thanks everyone for your input/clarification into the MM+rechargeable mystic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

It turns out nothin' to worry about after all

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened

Yep, I have the same experience as shankus. I run my MM+ with 1600mAh. If you use your light continuously, dimming is obvious. However, if you use your light intermittently the way I gauge when I need to recharge is to activate my kroll switch in a momentary way, no click just softly depress it. If the light instantaneously dims to another level, then it is time to take it out. Normally, these spent rechargeables would measure at 1V at no load.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rajanf1 said:
...activate my kroll switch in a momentary way, no click just softly depress it. If the light instantaneously dims to another level, then it is time to take it out. Normally, these spent rechargeables would measure at 1V at no load.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have noticed that as well. Wouldn't you agree that it is still serviceably bright when that happens?

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened

Yes, it is. I would not discount the fact that there is still a significant power from the batteries but if you wish to be careful, you can just change it out. BTW, I can run them down from my portable cd player and will still give around 15 minutes max of playtime