• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Battery recommendation for Haiku XP-G

dpharmd07

Newly Enlightened
Just purchased my first McGizmo, the Haiku XP-G. This light is amazing! I am sure this question has been talked to death but, what is the best battery for this light? Should I just purchase a bunch of Surefire cells or should I invest in some rechargeable batteries? Is there any performance advantage to any of the rechargeable cells or do I risk damaging my investment? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

scout24

Flashaholic
Both work wonderfully, primaries give longer runtime by virtue of greater MaH capacity, Protected RCR123's give "guilt free lumens", and are what I use. AW's IMR 123's specifically. Make sure you get a decent charger if you go the RCR 123 route. :) Enjoy the light!

scout24

Flashaholic
My bad- AW's RCR123 from Lighthound work great for the Haiku, and are protected so they do not over- discharge. The black label with silver sticker.:ohgeez:No real need for the IMR's in the Haiku, the current draw does not necessitate IMR usage. Feel free, though, but know that you have to check voltage on the IMR's and charge them a bit more often. That is what I get for responding in the early AM... :tired:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my IMRs from Lighthound, but I don't think mine are protected...

Good question! Anybody?

Nope, they don't exist in protected :

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=191277

AW calls them "safe chemistry" and claims you can discharge them down to 2,50V. I bought mine for high current lights AND for multi-cell lights, as I don't like the idea of 2 li-ion together.

I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but I fell safe with these cells, until now I never discharged one below 3,50V. I tried them in my SF-III Ostar SMT and the light shut off at that level, I'm not sure however to which voltage a Haiku or my Moodoo Triple (with 2 cells) would bring them, if everything shuts off or gets too dim before the critical point or not... :confused:

For one cell lights I use normal li-ion, aka the black AW. They have more capacity (750mAh vs 550 mAh for a 16340) and are protected! :thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you put two protected RCRs in-series, if the protection circuit on either cell engages it will just remove that cell from the series and the light will continue to run (or more likely shut off) with just the one cell still functioning.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you put two protected RCRs in-series, if the protection circuit on either cell engages it will just remove that cell from the series and the light will continue to run (or more likely shut off) with just the one cell still functioning.

This is why I only use AW IMR cells or Lithium Primaries. There has been too many times that my protected cells have tripped in the field and left me with no light. (Keep in mind that this was a wa1185 hotwire with 3xAW black C cells.) Now that I've switched to his IMR cells, I can charge at incredibly high rates and not worry about a protection circuit. Best of both worlds. The small amount of mAH that you lose is negligible, IMO.

fyrstormer

Banned
I would think an incandescent light would keep running with some cells disconnected, though at a lower brightness. :shrug: But whatever, I only ever use single-cell lights anyway so it doesn't matter to me. :D

dpharmd07

Newly Enlightened
So, is there any performance difference? Will I damage my light with one of the 3.2V, 3.6, 3.8V etc..? Are there any run time advantages? What would be a good charger? Thanks.

scout24

Flashaholic
Okay, I promise, I will NEVER answer a "Please recommend" thread before caffeine ever again. OP- The Haiku will run on whatever fits in there, Primaries are great, Quality protected rechargables work nicely, too. Good charger is a worthwhile investment, as well...:welcome: (Even though you got here before me!) :thumbsup:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run CR123s and they are fine.

I have run IMR 123s and they work fine too.

My preference is actually primaries in this light for some reason. :shrug: Maybe because they just seem to last for a long time.