• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Some McE2S questions.

donn_

Flashaholic
What is the current capacity of this critter? I have an Aleph 3 inbound, with a single speed SST-50 LE. It measures 2.5-2.8A at the tail. I want to try an McE2S on it. Will it take that kind of current?

Which resistor should I use? Am I right in assuming the more ohms, the lower the low?

I'm going to have to move the guts from another Aleph switch into either an Aleph Standard or an McTC. Is this a difficult task?

:thanks:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I ran a McE2S in a Milky Roomsweeper (SF E1, Z52 twistie, SSC P7 direct-drive, 1xIMR123) for a year of EDC, no problems at all. Gave it the full 12 minute run a few times, supposedly ~2.8 amps of current draw on that configuration.

Sorry that I don't know the resistance value that Scott used to take it down to ~5-10 lumens tho.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Assuming you are direct driving the SST-50 using an 18650, then IMHO a 22 ohm resistance would be about right.

If using 2xCR123 the battery voltage is higher, so the resistance needs to be greater to reduce the voltage applied to the LED/circuit to the same level to get the same low output. This also causes the resistors to dissipate more power, so there is a limit here. Assuming the LED/circuit drops about 3.5V, then that leaves 2.5V for the resistors. Using V=IR, then a 60 Ohm resistance gives a current of 2.5/60=42mA. At this low drive level the resistors only need to handle 2.5Vx0.042A = 0.104W, which they will have no problem handling.

I hope this helps.
C.J.

donn_

Flashaholic
To start, I'll run a 17670. Eventually I hope to bore out the body for an 18650.

I have 22 ohm switches on hand, so I'll start with that.

I'll need to move the switch guts into the new switch housing. I know I can remove the McClicky, but how difficult is the swap in of the McE2s guts?

scout24

Flashaholic
I am running a Roomsweeper head with a 60 ohm tailcap from the Shoppe, no problems yet. Gives a nice 10-20 lumen low, tail stays nice and cool on IMR 16340 or 17670...:grin2:

donn_

Flashaholic
Thanks! That should help.

I'll be removing the guts from an Aleph switch and installing in an Aleph switch, so I should be able to figure it out.