Black Moon LTD
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Zebralight H51

Default Re: Zebralight H51 details/preorder!!!

General power density of various batteries are fairly well-known. I am talking specifically about the H51 and H31 and the listed specs here. What the new circuit Zebralight uses in the H51 is amazing -- giving it the same runtime and almost the same power as the H31 from an Eneloop.
    Last edited by davidt1; 07-23-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    EDC: Zebralight H52w; Backup/loaner: Olight i3S
    Zebralight Mods: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=293092
    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

If the reviews show the hotspot to be nice and wide and if they offer a neutral tint version, then I will buy one. (I have the 501w)

Quote Originally Posted by red02 View Post
    I hope they build this lamp out of a good chunk of Al, 200lm with 1AA means -LOTS- of heat.
    Lumens have but little to do with heat other than what is implied with baseline efficiency guestimates. Wasted power is heat, and lumens don't tell the whole story. With LEDs growing in efficiency like they have. More and more power (as a percentage) is being wasted in the power circuit, which Zebra seems to have spent a great deal of effort working on. There is no law that says 1xAA@200 lumens w/XPG must put out more heat than 1xCR123@200 lumens w/XPG

CR123a are not only brighter but also denser in terms of energy. I think it was 3xAA=1cr123 So you get more runtime and arguably better performance in extreme temperature ranges, ie after being stored in a hot or cold car.
    Lithium AAs are roughly equivalent to CR123s in most aspects related to performance. Rechargables are fairly comparable as well, and even favor AA types when you throw in "protected" cells or requirements for them. There is certainly not a 3:1 ratio unless you are not comparing apples to apples.

If cr123 are the standard primary, Alkalines are the counterpart.
    CR123s are what, 3-5x more expensive than bog standard alkalines? That's not a real comparison. Besides, alkalines stink for high output and every runtime test shows that. I don't know anyone who uses alkalines with any regularity in nice Flashlights. If that's all you consider as comparable, I can see why you are so vehement against AA lights. I totally agree that Alkaline cells are garbage relative to other options on the market.
    Even if you ignore that point, the problem with that argument is that cr123s are usually cheaper online. They last longer, and have higher voltage than L91s, which means you can use the more efficient buck circuit.
    I picked up my last batch of Energizer Lithium AAs for $0.50 ea, "usually cheaper" *shrug*. I only use those for emergency backups anyway. General performance is very comparable, voltage is only an issue for circuit design. It is *easier* to build more efficient circuits for higher voltages that are *smaller*, that does not mean lower voltage based circuits cannot perform well or at similar levels of efficiency. The crappy efficiencies seen in low voltage circuits are due to wanting cheap+small (which works better with higher voltage) as well as an artifact of trying to build jack-of-all-trades circuits since you essentially *have to* optimize for lithium voltage range and that makes low voltage an after thought. This is the main thing lacking in quality AA lights, better/more efficient boost circuits from the 1.0-1.5v range and it looks like Zebralight is moving a little in that direction - good for them. Doing so usually means throwing high voltage support out the window, and I find that perfectly reasonable for a AA based light and should be thoroughly applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by BackBlast View Post
    I picked up my last batch of Energizer Lithium AAs for $0.50 ea, "usually cheaper" *shrug*.
    Awesome! where did you find that deal? Where they 'Ultimate' or 'Advanced'?? I'm constantly on the lookout for cheap 'Ultimates'.
    >>Opinions expressed by red02 do not necessarily express the opinions of the company or its subsidiaries. Facts stated by red02 are not necessarily facts.<<

I am with both copperfox and davidt1. I really hope it has a wide center spot and wide very bright spill, and available in a neutral tint.
    I have an H501w, and its a nice light, but I dont get as much use out of it as I would if it had just a bit of a hotspot.
    My current most common headlamp use is clipping my Quark MiNi AA neutral to my hat brim. The Quark beam pattern is somewhat close to what I would want. Its beam is just a bit too narrow and focused, but it gets the job done.

Actually, my most used light is my H501. That's because most of my lighting need is up-close. But once in a while I need to see things at a distance about 30 - 50 feet away. I thought it would be nice if I can have just one light that gives me both some flood and some throw. The H51 will definitely give me the throw. Because it uses the XP-G and OP reflector, I know there will be a big hot spot. Since I am so spoiled by the wonderful, even beam of the H501, the question is: will the H51 beam be enough?

About using flashlights as fake headlamps on hat and stuff, I have tried many and none comes close to my H501. The main reason is you can't rotate the beam to where you want like you can with the H501. Another reason is you can't use flashlights at chest level like you can with ZL lights. Unless I am doing something that requires extreme body movement like climbing trees, working under cars, etc., wearing the H501 around the neck at chest level is my preferred way to use this light.
    Last edited by davidt1; 07-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
    The H51 will definitely give me the throw. Because it uses the XP-G and OP reflector, I know there will be a big hot spot. Since I am so spoiled by the wonderful, even beam of the H501, the question is: will the H51 beam be enough?
    You can look at H31 beamshots I think the beams will be near identical besides the little bit of extra output with the H31. I never thought I would say you will probably not be able to see much difference in output between the Cr123 light and the AA light, still can't believe I just said that.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Awesome! where did you find that deal? Where they 'Ultimate' or 'Advanced'?? I'm constantly on the lookout for cheap 'Ultimates'.
    I'd like to know where I can get L91 for $.50 too.

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    You can look at H31 beamshots I think the beams will be near identical besides the little bit of extra output with the H31. I never thought I would say you will probably not be able to see much difference in output between the Cr123 light and the AA light, still can't believe I just said that.
    You mean between the H31 and H51? I believe it. There is only a 20lm output difference between them.

Advanced, the Lowes deal posted in "Good Deals" in the Marketplace...

As much as I like my H31 I'm not sure I'll get a H51, but will decide between or perhaps both the H31F and H51F as I do prefer all flood. Getting a regular H51 after having a H31 would be redundant other than battery type as they are basically the same output/runtime. I do like the specs of the low level of the H51 of .2lumen/2.5 lumen which I have been asking for someone to make a dedicated like sort of like that with maybe a lower level still of .02 lumens

I think it's a shame they've removed the GITD switch boot option, as it makes more sence to have a GITD swictch than a ring the oposite end.

And no pocket clip? Are they drunk?
    Loyalty above all else, except Honour

Quote Originally Posted by PayBack View Post
    And no pocket clip? Are they drunk?
    I'm wondering about that too. Now it can only be used with the headband or holster carry And according to them, clip for H501 does not fit H51. Unless I can find a makeshift clip. I guess I'll stick to H31 for now.

I am still hoping, that the website gets updated for an updated pocketclip without silicon...
    This post has been enhanced with the Misspeller.

I'm going to have to agree with you guys. The lack of a pocket clip is a deal breaker for me. I plan to carry it in my pocket and the clip is one of the main things that make it work. I'm willing to pay a little extra for a clip but it's required for me to puchase the light.

It's a real shame too since I've been waiting a long time for this light.

You could always use a fenix E01 pocketclip which should fit the h51 just as well as it fits the h501.

I dont like having to buy third party accessorys for a light at this price though...

Flashaholic*

Anyone figured out if its possible to get 200 lumens out of a eneloop battery? I have not yet seen another flashlight offer this amount of light from an eneloop. I'm assuming it must be some sort of typo?

It shouldn't be 200 from a 14500 battery, as it claims 14500 are not supported with this light?

*confused*

Throw in a neutral XP-G in there and this looks to be exactly what I have been waiting for from ZL...
    01001100011010010111011001100101001000000110100101 10111000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110 0100011000010111001001101011
    00101100000011010000101001100001011011100110010000 10000001110100011010000110010100100000011101110110 1111011100100110110001100100
    00100000011010010111001100100000011101000110100001 11001001100101011000010111010001100101011011100110 1001011011100110011100101110

Quote Originally Posted by hazna View Post
    Anyone figured out if its possible to get 200 lumens out of a eneloop battery? I have not yet seen another flashlight offer this amount of light from an eneloop. I'm assuming it must be some sort of typo?

It shouldn't be 200 from a 14500 battery, as it claims 14500 are not supported with this light?

*confused*
    We'll see when the light gets released. ZL is pretty consistently accurate with their OTF lm so it definitely worth a look.
    >>Opinions expressed by red02 do not necessarily express the opinions of the company or its subsidiaries. Facts stated by red02 are not necessarily facts.<<

Quote Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

Throw in a neutral XP-G in there and this looks to be exactly what I have been waiting for from ZL...

+1

_

Quote Originally Posted by mrshish View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with you guys. The lack of a pocket clip is a deal breaker for me. I plan to carry it in my pocket and the clip is one of the main things that make it work. I'm willing to pay a little extra for a clip but it's required for me to puchase the light.

It's a real shame too since I've been waiting a long time for this light.
    If you have not already why not just get a SC50+ and use 14500 if you want all the output. True it's not XP-G but the beam profile is very XPG'ish (wide hotspot, lots of flood).

Also I have clips from the H501 I have never used, if one of these that I have will fit the H51 and if you order a H51 I would be glad to send you one of mine for free just let me know.
    Last edited by jhc37013; 08-04-2010 at 04:51 AM.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Quote Originally Posted by jhc37013 View Post
    If you have not already why not just get a SC50+ and use 14500 if you want all the output. True it's not XP-G but the beam profile is very XPG'ish (wide hotspot, lots of flood).

Also I have clips from the H501 I have never used, if one of these that I have will fit the H51 and if you order a H51 I would be glad to send you one of mine for free just let me know.
    That wouldn't work for me as the light would then be pointing at my knees, rather than ahead.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honour

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    I wonder why they would choose to remove the clip from the package. It is what makes the headlamp so much more versatile.
    I agree. I ordered some H31s and the included clip for clipping to a jacket or backpack shoulder strap was a big draw. They really should include that here as well.

Does anyone know if this H51 will be availlable with the 'warm' LED like the SC models?

In the past, Zebralights website often changed before the release of a new light. I think we have to wait patiently until the light is avaiable to know whats in the package.

I am pretty sure Zebralight just forgot to add a pocketclip in the descirption.

Perhaps the reason for that is, that they are currently working on a new pocketclip and the didnt wnat to add the old pocketclip to the package.

Zebralight didn't forget, I have verified with their rep via email.
    But I sure hope they would change their mind.

oh damn. Now thats bad news - especially for zebralight.

Super mini review!

Guys, just got the H51... it is amazing. I am incredibly impressed by the quality and workmanship.

But that was a given... I am also blown away by the OUTPUT! It is a powerhouse!

On an Eneloop AA it is just as bright (by my perception) as my Quark MiNi CR2 (granted, the CR2's batts are not fresh, but they have not been used more than a few minutes).

I have never seen a AA light blast like this and it is frankly astounding!

I have to say that the beam is very nice, though it is very much a FLASHLIGHT beam rather than the Zebralight headlamps we've come to love. It has a nice, bright spot and a beautiful spill. It is a little on the cool side, but very pleasant and not green at all.

I feel like it will change caving forever--this thing is a powerhouse. Now, the only thing is that compared to the H501W that I have, it is maybe not quite as good for reading or very close tasks, but this is the trade-off for a spot rather than a full flood light.

Finally, the levels are great and the double-click to go to the sub-level is very elegant.

In sum, I am delighted and amazed by this gem and am so happy to have it. I really think that folks could go running with this light and maybe even use it as a bike light... we're talking around 180 lumens (per 4sevens on the CR2 mini) here from a AA rechargeable batt!
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Ešrendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Sounds great and hope to see some more reviews. This is on my want list.

Good Job, Applevision !

Can't wait for this in Neutral-White emitter.
    _

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast