Could one be made out of copper?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't pure copper very soft and therefore damage very easily???
yes, but he didn't ask if it was practical, he asked if it can be made, yes it can.

that link above says the light is made of alloy, not pure copper

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, but he didn't ask if it was practical, he asked if it can be made, yes it can.

that link above says the light is made of alloy, not pure copper

From the Light description

"Flashlight body is machined of solid billet ultra conductive pure alloy 101 Copper."

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, my apologies... I merely read the thread title, not the sub forum it was in.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, my apologies... I merely read the thread title, not the sub forum it was in.

No need for apologies, we're all friends here.

In fact I may have been a bit short with you, so sorry from me too.

Back on topic, what I 'd really like is a Lummi made from alumibronze !

Now that would be cool, all be it a bit heavy.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Isn't pure copper very soft and therefore damage very easily???
Yes, but it is only really a concern if you are interested in maintaining a "shelf queen" appearance or if you are careless with your lights. your concern is valid but aesthetically, I believe that copper is beautiful and the patina that it will aquire adds to the lights character. Copper also transfers heat extremely well so that should help in heat management so you just have to weigh the benefits over the possible or should I say probable dings that any EDC may aquire.

cnw4002

Newly Enlightened
If it doesn't get dings its not being used. Might as well not buy if you aren't going to use them. I just wondered if it would be strong enough not to get damaged I don't care if it gets marked up it it still works. Where's the Rob weighing in he should know more about the metallurgy of the lights.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it doesn't get dings its not being used. Might as well not buy if you aren't going to use them. I just wondered if it would be strong enough not to get damaged I don't care if it gets marked up it it still works. Where's the Rob weighing in he should know more about the metallurgy of the lights.
you don't need metallurgy advisor, maglites are made of aluminium, they are virtually indestructible, unless you destroy them on purpose,
unless your goal is to have a light made of exotic material, aluminium will be more than enough, cheap, and light

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the patina copper gets...Only downside to me is the "pocket change" smell you'd get on your hands from handling it.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
A polished copper light would be great, but could it work?

Yes, but personally not my choice of material to make a Lummi from.
Certain coppers can be a real pain to machine, the more pure the softer & more tricky it gets. There are free machining coppers which are better to deal with @ the machining stage but have an alloy or other ingredient to allow for less sticky / stringy cutting.
Not just the machining that puts me of, I do not personally see many benefits to a copper housing other than terrific thermal & electrical properties. The Sterling Silver I have done in the past provided a good example of those properties.

I am always considering alternative materials, very tempted by Ali Bronze. Its very similar to the Nickel Silver, just slightly more brassy in colour. For now I prefer the NS for its appearance & machine ability.

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
I am always considering alternative materials, very tempted by Ali Bronze. Its very similar to the Nickel Silver, just slightly more brassy in colour. For now I prefer the NS for its appearance & machine ability.
Aluminum Bronze would make a nice RAW. Still my favorite is my old nickel silver RAW with its smooth threads and nice heft. My other RAWS are aluminum, ti, and damascus. Great lights!