XP-G Fenix and donut hole?

veleno

Enlightened
I am interested in a PD30 R4, but I saw some Fenix with XP-G have a sort of donut hole (very noticeable).

How common is this?

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened
Look at post #115 on this thread :

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/280951&page=4

The donut hole with the smooth reflector was VERY VERY VERY NOTICEABLE and for me it was a useless flashlight.

Today July 23 I am still waiting for my repaired head ( since mid may 2010 ). ADDTION : received it on August 2 - 2010.

Buy a Quark 123² XP-G R5 -> look on this thread post #9 for more info.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3383992&posted=1#post3383992

Bye!

The UltimateCampingMaster from Canada

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just bought one... lemme check.

<click> Yes, there is a donut hole within the center hot spot. Mine isn't really bad, but if I ever find it annoying I'll probably twiddle with the reflector a little bit. It's nowhere near bad enough for me to complain about it.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine looks more like a sphere, it's still bright enough in the center that it didn't look like a donut. At 30 feet the edge of the sphere is a shade brighter.
Good throw for it's size, Im sure they'll fix yours up

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they still make the PD30 R4 with the textured reflector? I have this and their is really no dim spot in the center to be seen. I may have read they are now smooth reflector but I'm not sure, if it's a XPG and SMO reflector then it's probably going to have a donut. The Nitecore Infilux and RRT-0 R5 that I just got both have smooth and both have donuts and like you (OP) I hate donuts.

If you can find a PD30 R4 with textured reflector you might be ok with that. like I said I hate donuts or dim spots in the center whatever you want to call it and I have no problem with my PD30 R4.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I checked min e again today and discovered that the mild donut hole is more visible at 5' than it is at 1' or 10'. For all practical purposes it's not an issue for me.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha yep, right on the flashlight says premium R4.
Sorry about my delayed reply. Getting ready to move.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
A "donut hole" is a typical trait of just about any light that uses an XP-G emitter with a smooth reflector (a good example of this is the Quark Turbo). In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the donut hole problem was such a big factor with the EagleTac T and P series lights that use XP-G's and smooth reflectors, that some dealers won't even carry these lights with smooth reflectors (BTW...I have a P20C2 MkII, and LOVE it!!!). A good rule of thumb is quite simply XP-G's and smooth reflectors don't play well together. I had a Quark Turbo and loved the output...but the donut hole drove me nuts!

There ARE exceptions to this. If I'm not mistaken (and I can't speak from experience because I don't own one...), I think the new 4sevens Maelstrom, which uses an XP-G and a smooth reflector, doesn't have a donut hole. I'm sure there are others as well, but for the most part XP-G's and smooth reflectors just don't get along very well. If you're going to use a light with an XP-G emitter, OP reflectors are the way to go (in my humble opinion, anyway!), As always, YMMV...

PJD

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there are others as well, but for the most part XP-G's and smooth reflectors just don't get along very well. If you're going to use a light with an XP-G emitter, OP reflectors are the way to go (in my humble opinion, anyway!), As always, YMMV...

PJD

Absolutely, don't even think about getting a XPG light with smooth unless the manufacturer clearly says their is no donut. The P20c2 and T20C2 MKII are great light's but must have textured reflectors, the smooth offers no benefits.

I now need textured reflectors for my Infilux and RRT0 R5 because they look a lot like the P20 with the smooth reflector, I have learned my lesson for now.

Xak

Enlightened
Only XPGs I have are 1XAAA and 1XCR2. They have OP reflectors, no donut hole, and are very floody. But, they are suppoesd to be floody. I'll keep my R2s for throw for now. Can't afford the Maelstrom for now, but from what I can tell it is the ONLY XPG that gives R2 lights a run for their money as far as throw.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A "donut hole" is a typical trait of just about any light that uses an XP-G emitter with a smooth reflector (a good example of this is the Quark Turbo). In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the donut hole problem was such a big factor with the EagleTac T and P series lights that use XP-G's and smooth reflectors, that some dealers won't even carry these lights with smooth reflectors (BTW...I have a P20C2 MkII, and LOVE it!!!). A good rule of thumb is quite simply XP-G's and smooth reflectors don't play well together. I had a Quark Turbo and loved the output...but the donut hole drove me nuts!

There ARE exceptions to this. If I'm not mistaken (and I can't speak from experience because I don't own one...), I think the new 4sevens Maelstrom, which uses an XP-G and a smooth reflector, doesn't have a donut hole. I'm sure there are others as well, but for the most part XP-G's and smooth reflectors just don't get along very well. If you're going to use a light with an XP-G emitter, OP reflectors are the way to go (in my humble opinion, anyway!), As always, YMMV...

PJD

Both my EagleTac T20C2 MKII and Malestrom G5 have the donut hole at distance. The Malestom has much less but it is still there and annoying.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix solved the XP-G donut hole problem with the TK45 by "simply" adding two more LEDs - voila - dark spot totally gone! :D

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
My TK11 XPG has the ugly donut but my Quark Turbo XPG, also smo. reflector has a perfect beam with gorgeous transition from hotspot to spill, great throw and large hotspot.
I think the problem is not XPG related but is due to the positioning of the emitter.

Somewhere on this forum is a description of how to eliminate this donut problem by
inserting a 3mm. washer beneath the reflector of the TK11, and has beamshots to illustrate his results.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Nothing wrong with an XP-G and a reflector. It just takes more
time and effort to get it done right. Most manufacturers are not willing to spend more money tightening up their tolerances.
So you want smooth and XP-G then you just have to buy from someone who cares enough to do it right. I've seen it!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have an LD20 R4 in my possession and I can't really talk of a donut hole, and it has a SMO reflector. The corona is slightly brighter than the spot, but it completely goes away when you look at anything other than a white wall.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
Well I have a Fenix LD10 R4 and has a dark donut in the center of the hotspot.

:thumbsdow

I seriously thought about returning it but at the time, I didn't know if they were all like this one.

BTW, I have a Fenix L1D that doesn't have a "Dark Donut of Death".

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I currently have an LD20 R4 in my possession and I can't really talk of a donut hole, and it has a SMO reflector. The corona is slightly brighter than the spot, but it completely goes away when you look at anything other than a white wall.

Since you've brought up that you have the Fenix LD20 R4, could I ask you about the tint ? I'm perplexed by the seemingly wide range of comments from users about the tint -- e.g., some say they see a greenish tint in the lower modes and some say that the white is a cold white tint