SST-50 EDC Ti screws ?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Mac would you mind let us know what are the Ti screws you are using on the SST-50 EDC clip ?

I think they look really nice and they have a remarkably low profile.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1st run of the SST-50 used the lunsford Titanium Screws but that stopped after the 1st run as half the screws I received would not work in the titanium lights. I spoke with Lunsford and there said in order to use their screws in Titanum they would need to make me a *Special* batch with a minimum order and 2+ months lead time. All screws are SS 4-40 x 3/16 that I bead blast to match the clips.

I never really like the Lunsford screws quality as you could see the broach marks in the hex area not to mention the 50% fail rate if installed into Titanium.

Mac

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, the SS screws your use look great. Can we get spares from you or from elsewhere ?

Also what do you mean by "do not work in titanium" ? How come Lundsford needs to make a special run of screws if used in Ti ? :confused:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, the SS screws your use look great. Can we get spares from you or from elsewhere ?

Also what do you mean by "do not work in titanium" ? How come Lundsford needs to make a special run of screws if used in Ti ? :confused:

I purchase the screws from MSC they are just standad 4-40 x 3/16 SS screws that I bead blast to match the clips. If you wanted spares they can be purchases from MSC for $6 per 100 pieces.

As for the Lunsford screws they state that in order for them to work in Titanium the have to make them slightly undersize.

Mac

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the McGizmo forum, Don already explained about "his" screws, which may be the same, I don't know...

Most didn't work for him either, they must have extremely low tolerances for ti and that's just not the case with stock screws. As Don makes a few lights more, he has his screws made in extra batches, IIRC they are not especially made for him, but hand-picked.

I'd be OK with ss screws everywhere, I doubt I'd ever notice a difference whatsoever, I normally don't use the clips, on a ti light they are a must for the optic though, nothing's like a nice clip to dress a light and the one of the EDC-SST50 is indeed very nice (and tough if you need it) and worth the extra money!

The person at Lunsford that makes the screws told me he specially makes the screws for Don.

Mac

Last edited by a moderator: