Malkoff        
Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40434445464748495051525354 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1618

Thread: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    Can I ask those who own the HD Super, what do you use the light for?

And... What extender are you guys using to make an MD6 to run 3x18650s?
    It's kind of an emergency light, when I go on a serious hiking trip or something outdoors.

99% of the time I use the regular HD but when you need Super, you have it. Much better throwing ability. When you need to see what's on that tree 100 meters away.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Flashaholic*

Thing is I have an M6LT now, the first version and it’s an amazing thrower, now nowhere near the warm tint of the Super HD. I will admit the warm Super HD is a beautiful warm tint that I really really like. Its truly comparable to my incan M6 with an MN21!

I’m going to keep it around a while to try in different areas and see if I can come to terms with it.
    i started off with the first version of the M6LT and went with the super as an upgrade. it certainly lights up the whole yard better than the M6LT... add to that the high/low option and warm tint and i believe i prefer the super. however, that beam of the M6LT is nothing short of amazing. ive tried and failed a few time to open up the M6LT. a LED upgrade would certainly give it new life.

Thing is I have an M6LT now, the first version and it’s an amazing thrower, now nowhere near the warm tint of the Super HD. I will admit the warm Super HD is a beautiful warm tint that I really really like. Its truly comparable to my incan M6 with an MN21!

I’m going to keep it around a while to try in different areas and see if I can come to terms with it.
    pm me if you decide that you cannot live with it. It is a great light and and has it's benefits, but i can also see where the rings could really bother someone. I hope you can make peace with it, but I'm around If you decide you can't

*Flashaholic*

What is the drain in terms of mAh of Hound Dog 18650 versus Hound Dog in the MD4 configuration?
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

*Flashaholic*

Thanks for the million Hound Dog graphs, very neat. I keep reviewing them. So MD4 Hound Dog is regulated while 18650 is not. However the latter is more pocketable and has a nice steep decline versus walking off the cliff like MD4/MD3 do.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    What is the drain in terms of mAh of Hound Dog 18650 versus Hound Dog in the MD4 configuration?
    I'll put them on the DMM this evening if no one answers your question before then.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

*Flashaholic*

One reason I decided to stick with the 2x18650, i.e. the MD4 Hound Dog configuration versus the 18650 HD is because the drain on a single 18650 must be brutal. I am going to guess well above 1 Amp, maybe 1.5-1.8Amps as a guestimate.

All cool white
    Hd super
    3x 18650 1.5a
    2x 18650 2.5a
    4x 123 2a
    3x 123 3.8a

Hd xml2
    3x 18650 1a
    2x 18560 1.5a
    4x 123 1.2a
    3x 123 1.7a

Hd 18650
    1x 18650 2.5a
    2x 123 2.5a
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

One reason I decided to stick with the 2x18650, i.e. the MD4 Hound Dog configuration versus the 18650 HD is because the drain on a single 18650 must be brutal. I am going to guess well above 1 Amp, maybe 1.5-1.8Amps as a guestimate.
    Are you meaning “brutal” as in short runtime, or hard on the cell? Many of the latest 18650 protected cells can handle up to 8-10amps of draw, and high drain IMR 18650 cells like the Sony VTC5A can handle an unbelievable 20-35 Amps!
    SureFire - Quality and brilliance

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I'll put them on the DMM this evening if no one answers your question before then.
    And Jose beat me to it. Thanks, Jose! Go Cards!

Quote Originally Posted by K2-bk-bl-rd View Post
    Are you meaning “brutal” as in short runtime, or hard on the cell? Many of the latest 18650 protected cells can handle up to 8-10amps of draw, and high drain IMR 18650 cells like the Sony VTC5A can handle an unbelievable 20-35 Amps!
    Exactly. I would not classify 2.5A as brutal on an 18650. I think the output curve on the HD 18650 is well thought out.

*Flashaholic*

Can I ask those who own the HD Super, what do you use the light for?

And... What extender are you guys using to make an MD6 to run 3x18650s?
    I don't. LOL. It's a shelf queen. The only one I've ever had. I have 3 'regular' Hound Dogs and I use these, they are much more practical for every day stuff. They are a combination of everything good Malkoff ever made. The spill exceeds that of M61 and the throw exceeds that of olde M60 or M61T or M61HOT or M91T.

Now back to HD Super -- seriously. I keep it in reserve for serious outdoor use. When you are hiking, you really need a hot-spot projected onto something 100m or 150m away, this is what you want. The Hound Dog is great and greater than anything that came before it, make no mistake about it, but it pales before the HD Super. The former runs out of steam at a certain distance while HD Super keeps going and going.

Now make no mistake about it -- the HD Super is not a dedicated thrower. If throw is all you want, there are better dedicated throwers out there than either Hound Dog. But at the expense of normal every day usage and spill.

the other item is, I think the terrain drives your choice of lights. On the East coast, where in the woods you hardly ever deal with openings greater than 50-75m, you can get by with the HD while on the west coast, you can easily run into 200-300m clearances, or in Colorado mountains and thus require a HD Super.

You cannot go wrong with either. But my HD Super extended with the 1x18650 extension and with the added bike grip is just huge. I think it's bigger than a 3D Maglite. Maybe. Or equivalent to it size-wise.

To answer your second question, I've had good luck with oveready, their extension is nice. The color is a bit off, I think I got 'natural' but I got the grip on it so it worked out really well.

FiveMega is another one that makes really nice extensions, you cannot go with them either, they have 1000 and 1 permutations.

*Flashaholic*

I've used it on night time trail hikes. The broad spill is dimmer than a standard hound dog, but it is wide like a wild cat. The hound dog super is not quite the all around winner that the standard HD is, but its muscular physique more than makes amends for that. For me, it's the one flashlight that illuminates everything, both near and far. If you are in total darkness, this one device will light your feet, your peripherals, and deep black distance simultaneously. I will add that it is more at home in winter. During the summer months, it struggles to cool itself in high mode.
    We have played that silly game before in 'general discussion' - what if I could have just *one* light -- I could confidently answer that question that in that highly improbable situation I would pick the Hound Dog Super.

It's truly a semi-custom one of a kind super light.

And it's a tremendous value. Compare it to a Surefire with the same specs. I mean price-wise.

And, 95% of the time I would run it on low. But high is there when you need it. It's like holding a car headlight in your hand. I run mine off 3x18650 setup so it's huge. But I can downsize to a 2x18650 in a nano-second and use primaries. Beautiful.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Marin View Post
    All cool white
    Hd super
    3x 18650 1.5a
    2x 18650 2.5a
    4x 123 2a
    3x 123 3.8a

Hd xml2
    3x 18650 1a
    2x 18560 1.5a
    4x 123 1.2a
    3x 123 1.7a

Hd 18650
    1x 18650 2.5a
    2x 123 2.5a
    Cool. By upgrading from 2x18650 to 3x18650, I lowered the drain from 2.5 Amps to 1.5 Amps on the HD Super, consequently increasing runtime to 2 hours.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    there are already two people with bad experiences with the solarforce extenders ...
    it looks like I was lucky with mine. lol

by talking about extenders ...
    recently I bought two black extenders of size 18650 from oveready.
    I had already purchased extenders from oveready of the same size but with natural finish ...

black extensors came with painted threads (anodized).
    initially I did not give much importance, but they unfortunately do not work.
    I tested the extenders with a malkoff host, with an oveready p70 host and with a solarforce host.
    in none of the hosts do the black extenders work.

I believe that the threads should not be painted, as this prevents the passage of electric current. Am I right?

here a photo of a solarforce extender (black, with unpainted threads), a black oveready extender (with painted threads) and a natural oveready extender (with unpainted threads).
    . . . .
    the image of the extender on the site shows the product with unpainted threads...

I used a 'natural' oveready extension with a Hound Dog Super with great success. FWIW.

I also have two extenders with a "natural" finish. they work very well.

my problem with oveready extenders that did not work was solved. they returned my money.

*Flashaholic*

Interesting.

Maybe try FiveMega (Nite) extension?

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by donscpoo View Post
    As expected, the beam of the HD Super is tighter and it out threw the HD. The 5700K cool white works great in the woods. Having used it for a few hours in the woods, I feel it makes a good spotter light for short continuous(40min or less) use. For longer use in High mode, the HD is a better fit as it does not get as hot as the HD Super. I used my HD on high for 2-3 hours straight without feeling uncomfortable about the heat. The heat on the HD Super made me felt uncomfortable after 40min. The hot local weather(it was around 26 degree celsius last night when I did the test) in Singapore might also have something to play a part. You might be able to push it further if you are operating in colder weather.

Cheers!

Don
    That is an interesting point.

*Flashaholic*

Thanks for the feedback. Gene says it's the tint lottery. Quite a happy accident. I love it!
    FWIW, I have two XML Hound Dogs, one is 'regular', the other 'neutral'. The tints appear almost identical. There is a shade of difference but if looking at one, then another, hard to say which is which.

*Flashaholic*

The Hound Dog and the M61T family:

The Hound Dog and the M61T family:
    Lots of power you've got there.

If I may be forgiven a brief off topic digression, you have a beautiful lawn. I wish my grass looked that good!

*Flashaholic*

The Hound Dog Super runs very well with that extension, the brute power of 3x18650 lights. Just think 8-10 years ago we could only dream about such power and only the most expensive modded lights approached that limit, today its lumens is the norm, though its lux isn't.

I have been tempted from time to time to add an overready extension to one of the Hound Dogs, but they don't really have a problem with 2x18650 or 4x123. The HD Super has higher Amp current so it needs it.

I think with the addition of 18650 Hound Dog, I will for the most part stop using the Bored Surefire 6P family. Even the strongest M61 cannot keep up either with the Hound Dog 18650 or the M61T. It's not just the lumens difference but the lux.

I will for the most part stop using the Bored Surefire 6P family...
    It makes sense to modify and upgrade SF 6p type lights if you have them, but not to seek them out to the exclusion of Malkoff type hosts if you don't.

*Flashaholic*

My EDC seems to rotate between FiveMega 9P with M61LLL 219 for inside tasks - reading something or navigating indoors.
    And MD3 with M61T for general outdoor EDC and for a serious trip or an extended situation, 18650 Hound Dog.

I will probably get an MD2 body and a High-Low ring for M61T to improve its EDC qualities. though it's fine the way it is.

It makes sense to modify and upgrade SF 6p type lights if you have them, but not to seek them out to the exclusion of Malkoff type hosts if you don't.
    Although, the Z2 and C2 are very individual hosts, more like works of art.
    Sorry, back to Houn' Dawgs.
    P

*Flashaholic*

I am just kind of amazed this thread keeps going for 8 years.

It is also amazing just how much the Hound Dog has evolved over the years. It grew from about 300 lumens to about 1300 in the HD Super configuration. We have gotten such interesting variations on the theme as 18650 Hound Dog.

We have also gotten other variations which are essentially just as powerful.

If you fully engage the 18650 HD, there is little reason to use the old 6P hosts. As the 18650 Hound Dog supersedes older 6P hosts / configurations in almost every way. 18650 HD is the best way to get most performance out of 6P-sized (well, almost 6P-sized) format.
    Except if you want to read with a light, the HD is the wrong tool on any setting, I prefer Malkoff M61LLL-219. But that's the only exception.
    Last edited by etc; 04-30-2018 at 09:15 AM.

*Flashaholic*

a bit more about this:

How do you carry it, exactly? Front pocket? Holster?
    Vertx tactical pants. They are not at all 'tactical' but discreet looking and fit for an office environment.

They have a pocket within a pocket where the MD3 / 9P fits perfect, and so does MD2 of course and so does the MD2-based Hound Dog 18650.

That's fantastic. Perhaps this would be good material for the "You just know you're a flashaholic when" thread. You know you're a Malkoff Junkie when you buy special pants to fit your favorite Malkoff device.

I gather that you need these pants for your profession, anyway. But now I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of pairs so I can tote more lights. Ha.

The Vertx model you want is VTX1000. With the right size that you want.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    HD (XM-L2) for an all-rounder light that can do SAR in some environments... but for vast open landscapes, the HD Super might fit the job description.
    That is precisely how I would describe it.

*Flashaholic*

These awesome pics deserve to be quoted and to comment, what interesting miles you got on those two Hound Dog head on the right.

These pics prove that the Super is a must-have device. And relatively affordable. In fact, the best value in its class. If you have any doubts, buy it now. It has my official approval.

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Well, I'm the proud new owner of a Super. Snapped some pics.

Hound Dog on high:

Super on high:

Hound Dog on low:

Super on low:

First two beam shots are around 70 yards. Second two (on low) are around 25 yards.

Won't be getting rid of my Hound Dog but the Super sure has some throw.
    Last edited by etc; 04-30-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Flashaholic

Rolleye11 Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Ooops!
    Last edited by knucklegary; 04-30-2018 at 11:39 AM.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Ooops!
    Believe me, that feeling has followed me all my life.

Oops is what I feel when I turn on an incandescent Surefire 6P or 9P any incan for that matter.

"Wow" is what I feel when I turn on a Malkoff Hound Dog Super.

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40434445464748495051525354 LastLast