Fenix Outfitters        
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4444748495051525354
Results 1,591 to 1,618 of 1618

Thread: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Default Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    This is exciting. What's the runtime like with an 18650?
    From INFRNL's run time thread:

https://imgur.com/im2IWjp
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

*Flashaholic*

****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    From INFRNL's run time thread:

https://imgur.com/im2IWjp
    Thanks!

*Flashaholic*

Yes, it's most excellent.

I lately run with the 18650 HD. It's kinda lower on lumens vs the 2x18650 model but the big advantage is, it's EDC-able while the 4x123 model is not. (i.e. MD4)
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

HD Super arrived today. Haven't turned it on yet, but wow! I'm excited for tonight. Bummer is I probably won't get to use it much until next week.....

Update:. Fired it up. At first, I wasn't overly impressed with the output. Keeping in mind it's still daylight I grabbed my HD 18650 to compare. Holy S###! It's amazing what the eyes don't necessarily percieve until you compare it to something. The Super makes the 18650 seem weak. Tint is kind of interesting. Rings in the beam don't bother me. Tint is yellowish brown maybe? Overall, can't wait until it's dark.
    Last edited by nmiller; 06-06-2018 at 02:44 PM.

*Flashaholic*

The total lumen output destroys the Hound Dog and everything else. It throws farther and has a very large, very intense hotspot.

It's not a laser-beam type hotspot that throws for half a kilometer but I think within 200 meters, works very well.

I'm set up with 3x18650. Had to use 2 Solarforce 1xcr123a extensions. The 1x18650 wouldn't work with the Malkoff body.

HD 18650N with Tricap, Raven Concealment clip and DIY finger lanyard;

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Lumens View Post
    HD 18650N with Tricap, Raven Concealment clip and DIY finger lanyard;
    Hey, man! Long time no see. Great photo as usual.

Hey, man! Long time no see. Great photo as usual.
    Thanks! I've been busy spreading the Word of Malkoff on gun forums. :-)

Speaking of that, I'm signed up for a Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Sauer Academy here in the Live Free of Die state. It's going to be eight hours in darkness with handheld lights and pistols - I'm going "armed" with a M61T on a MD3 body with Tricap and a few sets of 18500 2000mah cells. That M61T sure does wake up on higher voltage...

Speaking of that, I'm signed up for a Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Sauer Academy here in the Live Free of Die state. It's going to be eight hours in darkness with handheld lights and pistols - I'm going "armed" with a M61T on a MD3 body with Tricap and a few sets of 18500 2000mah cells. That M61T sure does wake up on higher voltage...
    How will you be holstering the flashlight?

How will you be holstering the flashlight?
    Front pocket using Raven Concealment clip - just how I normally carry it.

*Flashaholic*

Now that is a fine choice.

You get decent lumens, throw and runtime, the combination of all the factors makes MD3 M61 "T" - "Throw" a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    Now that is a fine choice.

You get decent lumens, throw and runtime, the combination of all the factors makes MD3 M61 "T" - "Throw" a winner.
    The MD2 version using two IMR 18350 1100mah cells is a nice package. Based on INFERL's graphs, I estimate it would provide at least 75 minutes of full output run time before going into decline. Interestingly INFERNL ran a test with a MD2 and a set of 18350 cells with the WC v.6 head, which serves as another data point.

My main concern is not available run time but in the class setting keeping track of actual run time to avoid over-discharging the unprotected IMR cells. In normal EDC use that is not a concern. KeepPower does make protected 18350 cells but they are too long to fit in a MD2.

With the MD3 version and a pair of protected 18500 cells, I don't have to worry (as much) about the cells. As shown by INFERNL's graph, the cell's protection circuit will shut down the light after about 2.5 hours of continuous full output run time, which should actually be long enough to complete the class without a battery change.

Additionally a light based on the MD3 body would undoubtedly make for a better improvised impact instrument. Not that we'll be covering that in class, but something to consider for a defensive-use flashlight.

Other than the added length, the MD3 package does make more sense.

*Flashaholic*

I would be concerned about using any protected cells in the scenario such as what you describe, because once the protection circuit activates, you are plunged into darkness. It's on for a long time until it suddenly walks off the cliff. Li-ions are terrible for tactical scenarios. You then must change cells possibly in dire circumstances.
    In the MD2 I run M61T with a non-protected cell, it gradually descends towards nothingness, I saw it around what seems to be 3V. And since I have a gazillion 18650s, I am not worried about losing any particular one. I have half a gazillion of 18650 that still hold around 2,000 to maybe 2200 mAh and not afraid to discard them.

You can make a strong case for using primary 123 cells in such applications. There is no sudden cut off switch. No, they don't store as much energy as latest-greatest Li-ion nor can they run truly high-powered devices. But, they gradually decline and that is important. They won't leave you in the darkness as if the light switch is turned off.
    Under precisely the wrong circumstances, that can be a disaster.

That is one huge advantage of lights that can run off single 18650 cells. You can run unprotected ones. You cannot do that in the MD3 or MD4 configuration such as with MD4 M91T or HD, you must use protection circuit because the lumens won't tell you when the cells are overdischarged.

That is one advantage of the M61HOT module (And M61 and M61T and such) --- you can only run it on the MD2 configuration but you *can* use a non-protected 3500 mAh cell which will signal when it's low. when you use a light repeatedly, you can kinda tell when it's no longer at optimum photons, I can kinda eyeball it close to 3.0V for sure and then swap not waiting until it hits 2.5V.
    Last edited by etc; 06-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.

*Flashaholic*

since is this the Hound Dog thread....

I cannot decide if my favorite EDC is the 18650 Hound Dog or the MD3 M61T.

The former has better lux, lumens but a slightly larger bezel.
    The latter has better runtime and a bit more compact despite being longer.

If you travel and you run out of both primaries and the Li-ion cells, you can always use 2xAA Energizer Lithiums. For the low mode.
    Last edited by etc; 06-26-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Great continuing discussion on the HD Super.

Just stopped by after visiting Malkoff, looking into stock status and any possible configuration
    changes. I must be one of the few who felt the neutral 4000k head was a bit too warm for what I was looking for. Not that I couldn't live with it, but 4500k would have been great, and 5000k would be mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by roger-roger View Post

Just stopped by after visiting Malkoff, looking into stock status and any possible configuration
    changes. I must be one of the few who felt the neutral 4000k head was a bit too warm for what I was looking for. Not that I couldn't live with it, but 4500k would have been great, and 5000k would be mind blowing.
    I did not hear it directly from Gene, but a member reported that Gene says 4000K is the preference of the general public. I believe this is probably true and I enjoy my 4000K Malkoffs. However, my Hound Dog XML is a rare gem with a beautiful beam near 5000K. (This has never been verified officially, but it is cooler than lights known to be 4000K, but warmer than known 6000K lights.)

*Flashaholic*

I have both neutral and regular and cannot really tell the difference, well the regular is a bit brighter. both are excellent. I think I like the regular a bit more.

I did not hear it directly from Gene, but a member reported that Gene says 4000K is the preference of the general public....
    I seem to recall @ElectronGuru mentioning, too, that 4000K has been most popular, more so than 4500K or 5000K.

A bit surprising to me, indeed.
    ... is the archimedes peak

*Flashaholic*

Well, 5000K is not neutral, unless I am missing something.. There is not that much difference between 4000K and 5000K - yeah, I can see it but it's not drastic. If you like one, you will like the other.

Perhaps color temperature is not the best way to categorize the difference. The neutral Hound Dog XPL (left) has a yellow beam tint, whereas the neutral Hound Dog XML (right) appears faintly blue when they are side by side. I find I have to turn the brightness on my monitor all the way down to appreciate the differences in this admittedly poor photograph.

If you were to compare the cooler of the two (right) with a genuine cool white, it would seem a tad yellow. Conclusion: this one is on the cool end of neutral.

*Flashaholic*

I see your point, they are both very nice. My 'cool' HD xml2 has no hint of blue.. but it does vary greatly.

In all my years, I've had just one Malkoff module that was nasty blue but it was also crazy bright and no, it wasn't a Hound Dog. Even then it wasn't anywhere 'nasty blue' as what we say in early 2000's. It was sort of mostly white with some blue-ish.

anyway, I couldn't decide which one I like more. My neutral HD is less bright. The 'cool' one is noticeably brighter. Noticeably does not mean substantially. Just that I can tell the difference - but barely so.

I think my 'cool' HD is a bit closer to the warm end of the spectrum than yours. Maybe just a bit. You know, the olde Luxeon Lottery.

I did not hear it directly from Gene, but a member reported that Gene says 4000K is the preference of the general public. I believe this is probably true and I enjoy my 4000K Malkoffs. However, my Hound Dog XML is a rare gem with a beautiful beam near 5000K. (This has never been verified officially, but it is cooler than lights known to be 4000K, but warmer than known 6000K lights.)

Of the small handful of 4000k lights I've had in hand, the Hound Dog-Super I had was much more yellow in tint. Agree on the tint of my Hound Dog XML. If I had to guess mine shows somewhere between 4000-4500k. It gets taken out 2-4 times a week.

*Flashaholic*

The Super.

It's an excellent light that's worth as much as all my other lights combined in terms of practicality. when it really hits the fan, this is what you want.

The low mode is so nice that you can run it exclusive in the low mode, even outdoors when you need a punch and the high mode obliterates everything. The low mode is not annoyingly low so that I am forced to run the high mode like I do with other modules such as M61**

Guess what, Hound Dog Super on low is as bright as the Turbo mode of yesterday. Now I realize my reference point is obsolete and many people don't even remember the early 2000's. We modded the lights to get 100+ lumens from the stock 30 lumens. And now that's low. Oh, the irony.

It can run on various bodies and even on primaries.

My only beef with it is the naming convention. the name implies it's from the Hound Dog family, just that somehow bigger while in reality it's an entirely new generation of Malkoff Devices. Not that the Hound Dog itself is any less excellent, just that the Super is way out there. It has everything. Throw, some flood, spill, lumens. Every time I pick it up I get the wow factor. Every time.
    Especially outdoors.

This is the light you have been waiting for. If you are thinking about getting one, don't think - just act. I have been around the scene for geez.. long time now and I can tell a gem when I see one.

The MD2 version using two IMR 18350 1100mah cells is a nice package. Based on INFERL's graphs, I estimate it would provide at least 75 minutes of full output run time before going into decline. Interestingly INFERNL ran a test with a MD2 and a set of 18350 cells with the WC v.6 head, which serves as another data point.

My main concern is not available run time but in the class setting keeping track of actual run time to avoid over-discharging the unprotected IMR cells. In normal EDC use that is not a concern. KeepPower does make protected 18350 cells but they are too long to fit in a MD2.

With the MD3 version and a pair of protected 18500 cells, I don't have to worry (as much) about the cells. As shown by INFERNL's graph, the cell's protection circuit will shut down the light after about 2.5 hours of continuous full output run time, which should actually be long enough to complete the class without a battery change.

Additionally a light based on the MD3 body would undoubtedly make for a better improvised impact instrument. Not that we'll be covering that in class, but something to consider for a defensive-use flashlight.

Other than the added length, the MD3 package does make more sense.
    I believe the only reason why I ran that 2x 18350 test was because someone asked about it and was curious what runtime would be. Those keeppower cells used were protected cells. It was probably a tighter fit but they fit in the MD2 body.
    I wish someone would improve on the 18500 cells. Even though it's not a huge difference between MD3/MD4, MD4 just seems like a big light to me. My favorite size is MD2 but obviously some lights can't run MD2 or you get short runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by roger-roger View Post

I think the Super in in with the lottery. My first Neutral super low serial has an excellent tint to it, probably closer to 4500k. I recently bought another Neutral super so i could keep it on MD2, but the tint is horrible compared to my original. I want to get it replaced with another one with good tint, but i am skeptical of what i might get.
    Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    I have both neutral and regular and cannot really tell the difference, well the regular is a bit brighter. both are excellent. I think I like the regular a bit more.
    This is what i noticed back when i had both neutral and cool white supers. not a huge difference but noticeable. Although my cool super had various colors in the beam; when actually using them it was more like a 5700k, maybe even closer to 5000k. I can't rememebr exactly. I liked both but prefer my neutral.

Ah, the tint lottery....

My HD 18650N is yellowish. In retrospect I wish I purchased the 5700k version.

My Wildcat v.6 neutral isn't yellowish but certainly warm. That said, the color rendering (especially outdoors) is spectacular.

I once had a M61 cool that was blue, Gene exchanged it for a M61N which has a pleasantly warm tint, but not what I would call "neutral."

The most neutral (to my eyes) Malkoff I own is the first one I ever purchased - a M361 LMH 6200k drop-in. I won the tint lottery with that one.

I have to agree that the 5000 to 5700k range looks the most neutral to me.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4444748495051525354