DealExtreme        
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Default Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Didn't read your whole post so i retract what i posted

A new tailcap would also be needed for a 20700 body. I don't have my calipers but i think i agree about the 26650. I don't think there is enough material at rhe largest part to accommodate a 26650. Bore would have to be 27mm most likely plus material for the body.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-17-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I have only done​ high runtime tests and i think i did the xml with 16340s/rcr123s
    Are you talking about primaries or rechargeable?
    Thinking of CR123 primaries for backup, traveling, power outages, etc. Hoping they give a useful runtime on low, and at least allow brief blasts of high mode.

Sorry that was a silly question on my part. I must have missed the hd 18650.

I take it you are thinking of picking one up; rather than​ you already have one? Or you currently use 18650 and are curious how primaries would compare.

I don't know if i have the time to do a test today (I'm on call and not sure if I'll have to rush off to work)

Let me start with a high runtime test on 18650, then if i don't go to work, ill do try the low test on a set of primaries

You got it -- I've been thinking about picking up the neutral Hound Dog 18650 model. Figuring I'll use the 18650 cells for day-to-day use, but want to make sure the Hound Dog will still be useful on low & high with CR123 primaries.

Disclaimer: I don't have much experience with rechargeable lithium batteries, except for a few of the SureFire-branded K2 LiFePO4 123 cells, so I'm definitely new to that whole arena. This will sure be a learning experience! Thanks for any info...

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    You got it -- I've been thinking about picking up the neutral Hound Dog 18650 model. Figuring I'll use the 18650 cells for day-to-day use, but want to make sure the Hound Dog will still be useful on low & high with CR123 primaries.

Disclaimer: I don't have much experience with rechargeable lithium batteries, except for a few of the SureFire-branded K2 LiFePO4 123 cells, so I'm definitely new to that whole arena. This will sure be a learning experience! Thanks for any info...
    I will have to let others help you in the cell dept. I do not want to give you any wrong information.
    test subject: Hound Dog 18650
    I have done a high runtime test for you with a panasonic/sanyo 18650GA protected cell and i am currently working on the low test on primaries but it will most likely be inconclusive because i will run out of time before bed.

18650 GA: I do not have a meter so this is rough info and i did not watch closely so my numbers will give you a baseline to go off of and what to kind of expect.
    2Hrs: @/near full output, heat dropped approx 10deg F
    2.5hrs: noticeable drop in output but still very bright. This might be what Gene claims when it drops to 600lumen, but this may have started earlier. Meter would have been nice on this test
    2.75 hrs: definitely seeing a constant drop in output and light is cooling off.
    3-3.25 hrs we are now in a low mode possibly slightly less output than the normal low mode.
    4.5hrs still in the low mode and i fell asleep at some point.
    Somewhere between approx 5hrs-6.5hrs it dropped down into a very low level where i could look directly at the beam pretty easily. Probably not usable light at this point. Stopped test @ 6hrs 40mins

Usable light probably up to 2.75hrs would be a safe call. low level is hard to judge because it was light out and alters the eyes judgement. if usable in certain situations, you could use the light up to at least 4.5-5hrs

2x batterystation primaries: starting cell voltage was 3.19v for ea cell roughly (measured on 2bay nitecore charger included in turnkey package)

Low mode test: I believe Gene states approx 30lm on a 18650. 2x primaries I'm almost positive bumps this output number up a touch. Low level is bright enough to light your path and light up enough at close range. Light's up at least 25-30m well enough to see anything but i feel like i need to sweep around a bit more than when on high mode.

3Hrs: still full output on the low level
    3.5hrs: still at/near full output
    5hrs: Been starring at the laptop monitor in the dark so my eyes are off, but still appears to be near full output. if there has been a drop in output it isn't a lot and still plenty bright to use.
    5.25hrs: still at/near full output, cell voltage is now @ 2.77/2.79v(dropped approx .4v in 5.25 hrs). I switched to high real quick and it's still very bright. If i had to guess, we are still very near full output.
    6.25hrs: brightness is still at or near full output. I have not noticed any drop in output.
    6.5 hrs: same status, going to call the test for the night
    9-9.5 hrs noticeable difference in ouput.
    11hrs still going it's definitely not as bright as when i restarted today and it's daylight hours but i think there is still plenty of light to get around and see things at closer range. I'm sitting in my garage and shine the light across into the attic and i can see the trusses fairly well. Probably around 24ft away. I climbed up an shined around the attic, enough light to see around pretty well. In normal circumstances I would prefer a little more light but it's workable. Not dim enough to call the test.

This is what Gene states for runtime on 18650 3400mah "The runtime on a protected 3400mah 18650 battery is approximately 1 hour at full output (down to 650 lumens). Then another 45 minutes of bright (down to 300 lumens) output followed by several hours of declining output."
    Going off this info, I would say i had 1.75 hrs(well more than an hour for sure) before the drop to 650lm, then the noticeable drop at 2.5hrs would have been down to the 300lm mark.

I will update here in a bit when i decide to go to bed, but low mode on primaries looks like it would work quite well

Edit: I am not sure if i will restart the test tomorrow or have the time to do so. I think 6.5hrs @/near full output on low is plenty and should give you a really good idea of what you can expect. i will check cell voltages later today.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.

I've wondered about the potential low beam run time of the HD 18650 on a pair of primaries, but I've never had the patience to run the test. Granted, this is outside of normal usage, but it would be nice to know how much emergency lighting you could get in a pinch.

@INFRNL. Did you end the low beam test at 6.5 hours because you ran out of light or because it was bed time? I only ask because I've always guessed one could get at least 10 to 12 hours. My (highly unscientific) guess is based on the performance of the M61LL, which is rated for 80 lumens at 10+ hours of full output on a pair of primaries. Maybe this is not apples to apples, but it seems a reasonable neighborhood estimation, if on the conservative side.
    Fully potted or bust...

I actually ended the test at 6.75hrs because it was 2am here. It was still putting out full or near full output on low.

I'm not sure what the voltage was. I checked voltage this morning fully rested 2.78/2.8v.

Started the test again and I'm currently at 8hrs and still going strong.. since I don't have a meter, I can't be sure what the output is but it still appears to be full or near full output.

You are probably right that this will run for much longer and i will probably run out of patience soon. This is why i normally do not do low output tests as well. And for being in the 30lumen range, this hd lights up really well.

INFRNL, thank you so much for doing those runtime tests! This pretty much seals the deal -- somehow I had a hunch that the MD2/M61NL combo I ordered a while back was going to be a gateway drug into the world of Malkoffs.

And with a name like "Hound Dog", I'm thinking this will be a good light for walking the canine at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    INFRNL, thank you so much for doing those runtime tests! This pretty much seals the deal -- somehow I had a hunch that the MD2/M61NL combo I ordered a while back was going to be a gateway drug into the world of Malkoffs.

And with a name like "Hound Dog", I'm thinking this will be a good light for walking the canine at night.
    No problem, anything to help. Also i don't remember if i posted but mine is the neutral white. They had the turnkey package on sale, not sure if it still is.

This along with your M61NL would make a nice combination if so desired.

If you don't want to get stuck in our rut, i suggest to stay out of the malkoff junkie thread.

If you are into a lot of runtime from your lights, woods walker has a wealth of info and makes killer posts with pics from his nightly adventures/tests

I originally came to try/find a couple of good lights, now i have a little army of malkoffs along with 3 elzettas and a couple of HDS rotaries, and a couple other lights.

Be very careful if you want to keep your wallet and/or significant other happy
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-20-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Hd 18650 still going. Its at nearly 14.75hrs and still usable. Probably slightly dimmer than my last update. High is definitely still usable and noticeable during the daylight hours of the test.

Kind of wish i had a meter so i could give better info. I have all my other lights boxed up in my semi too, so i can't compare to anything else

Edit: 15hrs
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-19-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Be very careful if you want to keep your wallet and/or significant other happy
    You speak the truth! I just noticed my wallet crying over in the corner...

Sounds like the Hound Dog is pretty efficient if it's still cranking out light over 14 hours later!

Yes, definitely a great choice in my opinion. I won't rerun the test but im curious how the 18650 cell would do on low in comparison

We are at 16.25hrs.
    I can still see around in my attic but it is getting pretty dim. I can almost comfortably look directly at the emitter, I think we are getting to borderline usable. the high mode now appears to be around what we started at today on low, still usable.

I think we are nearing the end of the test. after dinner i will check cell voltage.

EDIT: I could not get a good reading because cell voltage was coming back up too fast. I believe they were 1.43/1.47 approx but quickly cam up to 1.6ish volts. I put them back in the light to continue test. At first i could not comfortably look at the emitter, it is getting back to where we were in output. we are currently nearing 16.75hrs

I will move some of this to my original post.

Nearing 17.25 hrs low is getting fairly hard to see around in he attic but high is still usable. at some point soon I will switch to high and let the cells run down.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-19-2017 at 06:24 PM.

INFRNL,
    IIRC you have or used to have a Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI? A few comments on how the ZL fits in with the HD XML and the HD Super would be well appreciated. Would it make a good secondary pocket light in the use of either Hound Dog, or does it niche in as an alternative in some situations? Or perhaps the standard SC600w MKIII with its wider beam, would be a better addition for a secondary light?

Quote Originally Posted by roger-roger View Post
    INFRNL,
    IIRC you have or used to have a Zebralight SC600 MKIII HI? A few comments on how the ZL fits in with the HD XML and the HD Super would be well appreciated. Would it make a good secondary pocket light in the use of either Hound Dog, or does it niche in as an alternative in some situations? Or perhaps the standard SC600w MKIII with its wider beam, would be a better addition for a secondary light?
    Yes i do, and yes i think it would compliment really well. The ZL does not have the range and has a pretty floody beam; so it lights up a great area. It does still have decent range but the hound dogs (any of them) would get you out further. the one thing i do not like about the ZL is max output is 1126 lumen which is great and on the right cell (LG MJ1) can get you I believe 2.5hrs of runtime, but the next level of 548lm or whatever the rating is quite a bit dimmer and a huge noticeable drop from max and doesn't seem to light up as well as you would think. Otherwise tint is great, you have a bunch of different levels of light, a great moonlight mode, very compact, the ui is pretty good to use and slightly modify, and the side button is pretty easy to find.

Hope this helps. I haven't really used it since I've been playing with all the malkoffs, but it is a really good light, especially for its price. If you can hold off they might be releasing a new version sometime this year with a more programmable ui. I guess current ui might be a slight drawback as well. It would be nice to be able to select or program things a little differently but otherwise it works well.

as far as my HD low level test: I had to go run around so I stopped the test for a bit. we are now in the dark and at 17.25hrs. I think every time the test is stopped output gains come back a bit so this messes with the overall numbers a bit. Right now low is still usable but not at a preferred level. It would work for close range, around the house, etc. I can see things at a dimly lit level but i have to sweep around more rather than it lighting up its normal large area. not sure if i am explaining it correctly. maybe we are around the would still be good in an emergency situation. High still lights up well enough to use.

Ok, we are nearing 19.25 hrs. It is amazing what any kind of ambient light will do during these tests. Now that it's dark, low is still useful. I can see good around the garage or indoors. If i broke down on the road it could get me by at very close range.

In my backyard there is some natural light to fight. My fence from garage door is approx 25-30m away. The hotspot will reach the fence but i can barely make it out, definitely not useful. Outdoors useful range is probably 20ish ft range(hard to judge cause the moon is providing decent light)

High​ will reach the fence but not with great detail, but enough to spot things that may be hiding. I can see the lilac bushes along the fence well enough. So the light is still useful either on low or high, not enough loss yet to call the test or switch to high to finish off the cells

Edit: we are now pushing 21hrs. Checked voltage and got 1.36/1.4v. this is weird cause last voltage check was similar but quickly came back up.
    I swear this thing is like an Energizer Bunny, it just keeps on going. I don't think there has been a change in output since last update. Low is still usable, more so indoors. Can light the path in front of you and works at very close range. High is still more desirable and usable . Both levels would get you by outdoors.

we are now at 22.25hrs and still ticking along. Light is getting dimmer. I would say outdoors both high and low are at very close range. low will probably light enough for you to navigate without tripping on something and high is noticeably brighter but also fairly dim (probably getting into the 20ish ft range for useful light outdoors but not with the best detail. Indoors either will work but high is more preferred. here shortly (22.5hr mark) I will put the light on High and let it run out. We will see if it's lit at all in a few hours when i get back up.

What ea individual would consider usable light is definitely objective. I tried to provide enough of an idea to go off of. In an emergency situation where this was the only light left, it would get you by but i personally would have switched to high mode a long time ago and by now would have changed the cells. This test has definitely been an eye opener for me; i would have never guessed approx 30 lm would have been enough but i was wrong. i also would have never guessed that this light would run for so long on a pr of primaries. this light has definitely exceeded my expectations.

Hope this test has been helpful.

Would have been much better if Woods Walker had done it and he would have provided useful photos to go along. I am normally not this active but It's been an exciting journey for me and figured i could try to help where possible. At some point i may try to clean up some of my posts from this test and slim it down into my original post.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-20-2017 at 01:09 AM.

INFRNL,
    I do not think I originally answered this well enough and I am not the best at descriptions.
    I do not have any experience with the regular sc600 mk3 but I think the HI is more than capable. It still has a very wide beam profile that lights up a huge area and still has good range.

I think depending on needs the HI could either be used by itself or as a companion to any of the hound dogs. The HI is a very well rounded all purpose light in my opinion. If i was only able to keep 1 light out of all my collection, this would probably be the light I would choose i think. reasons being are pretty much covered in my initial post in response to your questions. it pretty much covers all my needs except for longer range. I do not know what its range is but its pretty good for most use. its also the smallest 18650 light I have being the same length as a MDC123, so it can also easily be used as an EDC.

INFRNL, thanks a bunch. Very helpful descriptions of how the ZL SC600 HI fits in with the Hound Dogs.

INFRNL, thanks a bunch. Very helpful descriptions of how the ZL SC600 HI fits in with the Hound Dogs.
    You're welcome. Hopefully someone else can also chime in to add on, agree, or disagree with what i have posted.

As far as my runtime test. Light is still lit but has been in a moonlight mode since a got up 3 hrs ago. Definitely not usable but it's not dead yet either. I did switch it to high mode at my previous update (when I went to bed)

Edit: light finally completed died at approximately 31.25hrs
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.

I can definitely agree with you. I also ran a test on my 18650 HD a few weeks ago with a 3500 battery. I only did high and terminated after 4 hours. The first hour is real hound dog high. The second hour is very much excellent output, lower than hound dog levels, but higher than M61. The third hour is what I would compare with a stock M61. From hour 4 onwards it appeared to me like M61LL output.

Hope this test has been helpful.

Would have been much better if Woods Walker had done it and he would have provided useful photos to go along. I am normally not this active but It's been an exciting journey for me and figured i could try to help where possible. At some point i may try to clean up some of my posts from this test and slim it down into my original post.
    Very helpful, many thanks!

Thanks for the run time test! You have far more patience than I.
    Fully potted or bust...

Thanks for the run time test! You have far more patience than I. (2)

Yeah me three. I originally planned to stop it along time before, but i just had to know

Ok, i couldn't leave well enough alone; curiosity got the best of me.

I decided to run the low test with a GA 18650. I can tell you runtime is greatly improved over 2 primaries.

Currently@ 12.5 hrs and still at/near full output. I have not noticed any change in output (but i can't be 100%certain since​I don't have a meter)

I still think it's still at full output though, high is bright as hell and low still has a lot of output

Edit:14hrs and no change in output, still at/near full output
    15hrs: no change in output
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-21-2017 at 02:10 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    Hound Dog Super with oveready 18650 extensor

Now the flashlight is well balanced.
    And more beautiful too
    Yes, looks really nice. I have been operating in that 3-cell mode for months now.
    Malkoff Devices!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Both models have their strengths. HD Super provides a beefy and punchy hotspot with a very wide and relatively bright spill. This design shines up foreground well and is a(pretty) long range spotlight. But it has the typical thrower sign: between close distance and around the hotspot at not very long distance there is a dark area. By moving the light you see everything even if it's not at the same time, however.

XM-L(2) HD has what I call a "throwy wall of light"(Thrunite TN35 is an example of a brighter light in same category). The spill is relatively very bright and the hotspot(which actually has a pretty moderate intensity for the output) is surrounded by a corona which results in that even at pretty long distance(where hotspot still brightly shines up) there is hardly no dark area, everything is lit up from the foreground to the hotspot. Because of the relatively small lux difference between hotspot and spill and with the corona nicely filling up the gap I have found another advantage with this design; even against a wall only meters away I perceive it as comfortable. The hotspot does not become too blinding or dominating, like usually with a thrower.

I am happy to have both of them!
    That's precisely how I feel.
    Malkoff Devices!

Ok, i couldn't leave well enough alone; curiosity got the best of me.

I decided to run the low test with a GA 18650. I can tell you runtime is greatly improved over 2 primaries.

Currently@ 12.5 hrs and still at/near full output. I have not noticed any change in output (but i can't be 100%certain since​I don't have a meter)

I still think it's still at full output though, high is bright as hell and low still has a lot of output

Edit:14hrs and no change in output, still at/near full output
    15hrs: no change in output
    How about heat? Both the bezel and the host?

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    How about heat? Both the bezel and the host?
    There is no heat being produced from the low mode(it is cool when i put it to my cheek definitely cooler than body temperature). High mode got to around 106-108 deg the day i tested. I do most of the tests in my garage. I think it was a cooler day so that may have helped keep temps down a little.

We are just over 18hrs and i haven't noticed any change in output
    19hrs: still at/near full output (low mode, GA 18650)
    21hrs: no change in output
    22.75hrs: i still have not noticed any change in output. If there really was, it was hardly anything. Both levels are still bright(as i remember from first turn on for this test). I'm wondering if this test will keep like this and just cut off or if it will start to taper

18650 seems much more beneficial over primaries imo

We are now officially at 24hrs and still no change in output
    27hrs: still no change in output. It is still full output or damn near.
    29.5hrs: still no change in output
    30.5hrs: no change in output. still at/near full output.

At this point i do not even know why one would consider primaries unless it was all you had. Will end the test for the night and pick back up in the morning, Or i may just let it run and see how it's doing when I get up. I think we have enough data to conclude that this light would be more than enough for any case.

39.75hrs: still no change in output
    41.5hrs: still no change in output
    42.75hrs: still no change, 3.3v on cell(no rest period), 75-76deg F on side of head or lens(checked indoors)
    44.25hrs: still no change
    45.75: still no change. Definitely at/near full output. I compared against the m361n and its between l-m(15-80lm). I'll put a fresh cell in to make sure
    Just compared against fresh cell: it is ever so slightly less bright than a fresh cell but its not much of a difference and hard to tell. I would say this change took place around the 45hr mark , now at 46hrs.
    I did a little yard work and thought it was a touch dimmer but wasn't sure cause i just came from outside with the bright sun, so eyes had to adjust

50.75hrs: i don't believe there is any change in output. If there is, it's very slight; still brighter than low on the m361N
    52.25 hrs: checked against fresh cell again, there is a slight difference in output but still a lot of output on both low and high

55hrs: still chugging along
    63.5 moonlight mode on low and high, not useable.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-23-2017 at 10:38 AM.

INFRNL: What a beautiful test
    The numbers you presented are amazing.

I already thought about getting a hd 18650 but before I need a neutral mdc.

Nice. Thanks Woods walker. 👍

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212425262728293031323334353637 LastLast