Fenix Outfitters        
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 262930313233343536
Results 1,051 to 1,079 of 1079

Thread: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Default Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I understand the appeal of the bicycle grips, but don't they interfere with heat dissipation? I have a Streamlight that came with a rubber grip sleeve, but I only used it once because the light became untouchably hot in a very short time. Overall, I think Malkoff devices have excellent heat sinking features and I wouldn't want to alter that.
    I never thought of it like that. If that's possible ill take mine off. Great heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post

The XP-L in the HD has a disappointingly purple spill, but I suspect this will be less of an issue outdoors.
    I can't believe I never noticed it. You're right. There is purple in the spill. My Hound Dog Super does the same thing. It doesn't change my opinion of these venerable lights, but now I can't unsee it.

I've never noticed it because I'm not a white wall hunter. Hound Dogs are outside lights and I've never noticed the purple when out in the wild.
    "Thou art a villain! You are a senator!"
    --Othello (Act 1, scene 1)

I can't believe I never noticed it. You're right. There is purple in the spill. My Hound Dog Super does the same thing. It doesn't change my opinion of these venerable lights, but now I can't unsee it.

I've never noticed it because I'm not a white wall hunter. Hound Dogs are outside lights and I've never noticed the purple when out in the wild.
    Sorry...I find "white-walling" to be useful for evaluating a lights beam and general colors, but actual use determines the verdict. As mentioned, the purple spill only seems to show up in daytime so I'm not worried about it.

I understand the appeal of the bicycle grips, but don't they interfere with heat dissipation? I have a Streamlight that came with a rubber grip sleeve, but I only used it once because the light became untouchably hot in a very short time. Overall, I think Malkoff devices have excellent heat sinking features and I wouldn't want to alter that.
    I did email Gene about the bicycle grip concern. He told me he tried it a couple years ago himself and there was no problem with the heat.

Good to know. I think a lot of people benefit from some sort of grip enhancement on the MD bodies.

Yes agreed and relieved.. I really like the hd 18650 md2 I've carried it a couple nights now. Its a great addition to my malkoff family..

I'll try this mod too while I wait for the combat rings to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    I'll try this mod too while I wait for the combat rings to arrive.
    Im curious about the combat rings. Cant wait to hear your thoughts!!

If anyone is interested, the Thyrm Switchback has more or less the same effect on retention, except that the Thyrm does not slip on and off. Tail cap removal is necessary to install and uninstall this product. Clearly not what this tactical accoutrement was designed for, but it certainly enhances grip.
    Attachment 5850

Side note: I'd be grateful for any help with pictures. I can't upload photos to this site from any photo hosting website, whether photobucket and imgur, because I'm told the photos are too large. How a snapshot from an IPhone suddenly became too large is beyond me, but I've tried reducing the size of my photos to 25% and I still get the same error. I uploaded this image directly from my PC, but as you can see, it does not post inline. I also had to rotate it 90 degrees in order for it to post correctly. Ugh.

Here you go bro. Hope this helps..

Last edited by Offgridled; 07-03-2017 at 10:58 PM.

I think I've got it working again.

Yes the pics showed up. I really like this set up. Great heads up.

On amazon they offer 2 sizes . What size did you order for malkoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridled View Post
    On amazon they offer 2 sizes . What size did you order for malkoff.
    You mean the Thyrm Switchback? It's the large size, which was designed to work with 1" diameter tail caps. Anyone who uses the Switchback for its intended purpose would be laughing at my picture, though. It was designed for the door-kicking, room-clearing sort, which I am not.

Who cares what others think it serves a great purpose for what we need. Thanks for the size..

Preferred setup with a SF combat loop.

Very nice also!!

Flashaholic*

Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 neutral = flashaholic bliss.
    Yeah, that light would complete my collection. I got the supersized Hound Dog Super, just like shown in the pic above and the 2x18650 configuration HD, what I need is the single-cell HD.

They exceed anything 6P configuration comes up with. Both spill, throw and lumens wise.

The biggest problem with 3x18650 configuration - granted the 3-cell body is a custom made thing, not a Gene Malkoff creation, is that there is no holster for it. It's huge.
    Malkoff Devices!

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post

The biggest problem with 3x18650 configuration - granted the 3-cell body is a custom made thing, not a Gene Malkoff creation, is that there is no holster for it. It's huge.
    Do you know of a holster for the standard 2 X 18650 set up? If I carry the Super, it's hand held only. I don't have a holster.

Do you know of a holster for the standard 2 X 18650 set up? If I carry the Super, it's hand held only. I don't have a holster.
    Maxped has a 33rd Glock / HK MP5 magazine sheath that fits well both the HD XM-L2 and WC V5 on MD4... but they are a bit hard to find by now, they stopped production for these I assume.
    Dave
    "o-o-oh! oveready, okluma, oh no..."

Flashaholic*

I have the same question. I need a holster.
    Malkoff Devices!

Flashaholic*

just wanted to share an "oops" moment i had with my hound dog super. i decided to unscrew the bezel to lube up the threads before vacationing in mexico. when i did, both orings as well as the lens fell out. not knowing exactly how the orings and lens was seated i took my best guess and slapped it back together. i then decided to pay a visit to the sink and run water over the bezel to see if water would ingress. instantly water got between the lens and optic, and then on behind the optic. oops! i then took it apart, got out a bowl of rice, let the rice work its magic, then reassembled again. after that it maintained water resistance quite well. i was able to take it swimming underwater while on vacation with no more signs of water ingress. the trick was getting the flat o-ring around the lens and making sure it didnt pop out of place while trying to seat the lens back in place. also, its much easier to get it all back together with it bezel down; just make sure your batteries are out.

Quote Originally Posted by tab665 View Post
    just wanted to share an "oops" moment i had with my hound dog super. i decided to unscrew the bezel to lube up the threads before vacationing in mexico. when i did, both orings as well as the lens fell out. not knowing exactly how the orings and lens was seated i took my best guess and slapped it back together. i then decided to pay a visit to the sink and run water over the bezel to see if water would ingress. instantly water got between the lens and optic, and then on behind the optic. oops! i then took it apart, got out a bowl of rice, let the rice work its magic, then reassembled again. after that it maintained water resistance quite well. i was able to take it swimming underwater while on vacation with no more signs of water ingress. the trick was getting the flat o-ring around the lens and making sure it didnt pop out of place while trying to seat the lens back in place. also, its much easier to get it all back together with it bezel down; just make sure your batteries are out.
    Hound Dog Super as a dive light? Oh, how I wish there were beam shots! Was this in a swimming pool or salt water?

Flashaholic*

Hound Dog Super as a dive light? Oh, how I wish there were beam shots! Was this in a swimming pool or salt water?
    both, although nothing more than 4' deep. and multiple high/ low mode changes with no issue. take that HDS rotaey fans! i just assumed that malkoffs are swimable, am i wrong?

What is the estimated runtime of the HD18650 from 2xCR123? I know it's optimized for 18650.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    What is the estimated runtime of the HD18650 from 2xCR123? I know it's optimized for 18650.
    https://i1.wp.com/flashlightguide.co...R123.jpg?w=635

http://flashlightguide.com/2016/09/r...und-dog-18650/

Dave

Yes its a huge difference no reason not to use 18650.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 262930313233343536