RMSK, Inc.        
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1356

Thread: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Default Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Yep, it's a champ. Bit of advice? I'd loosen the head for low beam while it's in your coat pocket. Our Aussie friend, XR6Toggie, recently melted down the lens on his HD 18650 by accidentally switching on the high mode while it was in his coat pocket.
    I'm in the habit of keeping it in the low mode since it's what I use 90% of the time, and for the very reason you mentioned.

Flashaholic*

Bump.

Writing to note that the hound dog offers a quantum leap over any 6p light, even by malkoff.

The throw, the spill, the flood and the lumens/runtime combination is a winner.

Hd xml has 3 times the lumens of m61 and much higher lux.

It is where high performance is.
    Malkoff Devices!

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    Bump.

Writing to note that the hound dog offers a quantum leap over any 6p light, even by malkoff.

The throw, the spill, the flood and the lumens/runtime combination is a winner.

Hd xml has 3 times the lumens of m61 and much higher lux.

It is where high performance is.

true dat!

If you want Hound-dog XML type performance (not quite the same, of course) in the MD2 formfactor, look at the M61HOT.

If you want to beat the M61HOT, then go to the SUPER Hound-Dog!

Flashaholic*

super hound dog exceeds the regular hound dog in one parameter, lux and thus throw.

it doesn't have its flood. Or its runtime.
    Malkoff Devices!

I've said more than once that I could get by with only two flashlights: my MD2 with M61N and my Hound Dog 18650. I would not be happy about it, mind you. But I could survive. That is, at least until I could save up for a dozen other torches.

it doesn't have its flood. Or its runtime.
    I take your point, but the spill on the Super's high beam is...well, super. It's dimmer than the reflector based Hound Dogs, but it's wide like a Wildcat and bright enough for your periphery.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

I take your point, but the spill on the Super's high beam is...well, super. It's dimmer than the reflector based Hound Dogs, but it's wide like a Wildcat and bright enough for your periphery.
    I agree. While the very wide spill can be a drawback, for example at snowy landscape with the spill dazzling against snow walls in the foreground, it definitely has its advantage for some purposes. I just imagine when walking in a forest at summer or a jungle where there are dangerous snakes and spiders. Then the wide spill will brightly illuminate the ground and the branches of the trees near around you.
    And there are of course other situations when the wide spill is good to have.
    I really like my 4000K Super Hound Dog! The warm tint is awesome!
    Last edited by Swedpat; 01-05-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    I agree. While the very wide spill can be a drawback, for example at snowy landscape with the spill dazzling against snow walls in the foreground...
    Interesting perspective. I actually hadn't considered that. In my part of the world, we get a light dusting of snow perhaps once a year. It lasts for about 12 hours before it evaporates in the sun.

I'm also content with my choice of 4000K for the Hound Dog Super. Some say that cool white is superior for a thrower, but I've had my neutral variant for about a year now and I've never regretted it.

Flashaholic*

id like to echo the recent remarks on the HDS neutral. its now the go-to outdoor light for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the badger View Post
    Just joined the Hound Dog 18650 (neutral) club. What a fantastic light. 0421 s/n.

Does anybody know what the predicted Low runtime would be?
    I have Low mode runtime on 2x rayovac primaries now, just need to make a chart. I'm going to charge a 18650 3500mah sanyo/panny cell and do another low mode test for comparison.

It's easy to say the primaries made it to 36hrs before i had to head out on the road and had to end the test even though it still had some output. However depending on one's use/needs; saying a light will run for 40hrs is not quite accurate.

With a graph ea individual can decide how much actual use they can expect for their use.

I will try to post the initial primary cell graph later tonight, I have plans so I cannot do it right now.

A slight update on the HD 18650 low mode runtime results. It appears that using a 3500mah sanyo cell will provide around double the runtime over primaries. I'm at almost 65hrs and it is still putting out around 1/2-3/4 lumen, it probably hit this mark around the 64hr mark so it should still be able to provide this amount of light for a while (I think).

I'm not sure when I'll call the test, but when I do, I will go through the results and make a graph. I would call the test now, but even though its only putting out around 1/2 lumen or so; it would still be usable if really needed (in very dark areas)

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    A slight update on the HD 18650 low mode runtime results. It appears that using a 3500mah sanyo cell will provide around double the runtime over primaries. I'm at almost 65hrs and it is still putting out around 1/2-3/4 lumen, it probably hit this mark around the 64hr mark so it should still be able to provide this amount of light for a while (I think).

I'm not sure when I'll call the test, but when I do, I will go through the results and make a graph. I would call the test now, but even though its only putting out around 1/2 lumen or so; it would still be usable if really needed (in very dark areas)
    That's a very long time! It's good to know what to expect. Realistically, if I were depending on the Hound Dog's low beam, then it would be during an extended power outage. Since I sleep at night, I would only need it from sunset to bed time, which could be anywhere from two to six hours depending on the season. You could probably get two weeks out of it.

Question. What's the voltage on that cell right now? Is it unprotected?

That's a very long time! It's good to know what to expect. Realistically, if I were depending on the Hound Dog's low beam, then it would be during an extended power outage. Since I sleep at night, I would only need it from sunset to bed time, which could be anywhere from two to six hours depending on the season. You could probably get two weeks out of it.

Question. What's the voltage on that cell right now? Is it unprotected?
    I do not know what the current voltage is, I could take it out real quick to check. It's a protected cell., as you know I am not into unprotected cells.

BRB, with current voltage, I imagine it's getting down there though

Hot off the press it is @2.62v; surely it should be close to the cut off point, no? I thought these cells cut out around 2.7v or are at least supposed to
    Last edited by INFRNL; 01-14-2018 at 03:36 PM.

ok, the moment you have all been waiting for. I thought I ran the rayovac test longer but apparently not. I'll let you make your own conclusions/opinions as usual.

Last edited by INFRNL; 01-15-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: fixed graph/chart

What a beautiful test!
    What a beautiful flashlight!
    is certainly my favorite!
    Thank you for your efforts to make this test a reality!
    I already saved the graph to have along with the others

Do you intend to test in the high mode?

Quote Originally Posted by marco.weiss View Post
    What a beautiful test!
    What a beautiful flashlight!
    is certainly my favorite!
    Thank you for your efforts to make this test a reality!
    I already saved the graph to have along with the others

Do you intend to test in the high mode?
    I have already done a High mode test with my old meter, but yes I was going to do it yesterday but lost track as i wanted to recharge the cell. I also already have high mode test on primaries but that test did not go too well. I can't remember what meter i did that test on.

I'll at least do the High Mode test with Sanyo GA 3500mah cell and post a chart and possibly post results along with low mode.

I have to redo some of my charts so that they appear as good as my current ones. Also if you send me your email, I can email you my excel files . I still need to get a couple charts to Mr Badger as well.

Thanks again for a the data, buddy. What was the voltage of your 18650 at the end of the test.

Thanks again for a the data, buddy. What was the voltage of your 18650 at the end of the test.
    as of the moment, it has been my pleasure to do these and share them with those curious.

I honestly do not know what the end voltage was. I had a lot going on when the test ended and one of my nephews stopped by and I lost track of everything. This morning when i put it on the charger it was at 2.7x volts though. If I had to guess, it was probably close to 2.5x v. It almost made it to 70hrs but fell just a bit short. I think it only missed the 70hr mark by 2 minutes but output was really low near the end.

Here are the HD 18650 High mode results. Sorry, I lost the rest of my data for the primary results, but you will get the idea.

Edit: now that I think about it, the primary test could possibly have been done on the EA30 and i may have stopped the test. I honestly do not remember but you can see how the primaries will behave.

Here is a comparison to the initial test I did using the old meter (EA30). It appears there was a difference in my cells. At least they are close enough to be considered nearly the same
    I forgot to edit the cell description. Blue is from the original test using the Extech EA30

Last edited by INFRNL; 01-16-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Here is a HD XML MD3/MD4 comparison. I think the results maybe a little skewed. I plan to rerun both tests and see how they compare, but they are close; so I imagine new test won't be too far off.

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    I would think the Tricap would also work as auto side glass breaker :-)
    I think you'd need to bore some holes and add a little tungsten carbide to make a reliable glass breaker.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Here is a HD XML MD3/MD4 comparison. I think the results maybe a little skewed. I plan to rerun both tests and see how they compare, but they are close; so I imagine new test won't be too far off.
    Those are very respectable results in both configurations. The Hound Dog strikes an elegant balance between output and runtime. Considering its heat sink properties, simplicity, and potential for long life, it is the quintessential flashlight. If I could only own one illumination tool, it would be some variety of Hound Dog.

Hey...how come nobody told me I mispelled Hound Dog in my charts... I've corrected them on my end but you guys will have to suffer with the new found spelling. <<<EDIT: I made a mistake so it's fixed

Here is the Super MD2 results, Md3 up in a short bit and MD4 test currently running.

There was still usable light when i stopped the test. I figured 24hr mark was a good place to stop. Granted it would be certain circumstances where 1/2 a lumen would still be useful, but i assure you it would be somewhat useful in a dark room. I shined the light around in dark areas with garage lights on and could see things, but you guys can decide what is useful for you. Enjoy!

Super MD3 Panny 2000: did not do too well.

Super MD4:

Super overall comparison:
    MD3 actually cut off @37.5min
    MD4 cut off right at 1hr 10min
    Hope you enjoy, Good Night!
    Last edited by INFRNL; 01-18-2018 at 03:49 AM.

These are the first run time results for the Hound Dog Super that I've ever seen. I suspected it had a flat one hour-ish regulation on 2 x 18650, but now I know for sure. Very surprised by the MD2 results. Filing that one away. Could come in handy some time!

These are the first run time results for the Hound Dog Super that I've ever seen. I suspected it had a flat one hour-ish regulation on 2 x 18650, but now I know for sure. Very surprised by the MD2 results. Filing that one away. Could come in handy some time!
    I plan to rerun the md2 and md3 test on Saturday when I get back. I started a rerun on md3 this morning to get a new peak reading. The results were slightly higher than the md4 results. So i continued the test while i got ready. Results remained slightly better than the md4 results.

I'm not quite sure what is going on. I might have to start doing 2 runs per test, then average them out, idk.

I guess these tests at least give us a good idea of what to expect. Overall runtimes seem to remain the same. Output is what is different but not noticeable to the eye

Could someone please snap a picture of the 3 regular HD's(HD XM-L MD4, HD XM-L MD3, HD 18650) in a row so I can get a feel for the length differences please? Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Could someone please snap a picture of the 3 regular HD's(HD XM-L MD4, HD XM-L MD3, HD 18650) in a row so I can get a feel for the length differences please? Thanks guys
    I got ya, bro. Well, close anyway. From left to right: Hound Dog Super (MD4), Hound Dog XML (MD3), Hound Dog 18650. For comparison, I've added the MD2, which will be similar in size to a SF 6P.

Last edited by Modernflame; 01-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.

With the variety of tailcaps, tubes, and bezels ... that's a super helpful comparison photo
    ... is the archimedes peak

Default Re: Malkoff &quot;Hound Dog&quot;

I got ya, bro. Well, close anyway. From left to right: Hound Dog Super (MD4), Hound Dog XML (MD3), Hound Dog 18650. For comparison, I've added the MD2, which will be similar in size to a SF 6P.

Thanks, I appreciate that MF👍.

So, it looks like the HD MD4 would be a little unwieldy to use. But, it gets double the runtime of the HD MD3. What is the HD MD3 with 2 x 18500's like to use? I bet a grip ring helps.

Man I wish Gene would just make a new version of the HD 18650 that is regulated😕.
    Last edited by Tachead; Yesterday at 06:34 AM.

Modernflame, any chance you could throw the tailcap and Surefire grip ring on the HD MD3 so I can see how that looks? Maybe a shot in hand too for scale? Sorry to be a pain dude, I really appreciate your help👍.

Thanks for posting this comparison pic!

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35383940414243444546 LastLast