Imalent        
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Default Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog" coming soon!

Soooo, how does it perform - is it a classic thrower? Anybody care to do a Wildcat V2 / Hound Dog comparison?

Damn that nice, deep reflector looks fine,

James....

Flashaholic*

I can do an indoors comparison of the Hound Dog and my V2 Wildcat once it arrives.

Unfortunately it still isn't dark here at all so outdoors shots would be pointless.

Party Re: Malkoff "Hound Dog" coming soon!

Well, long time lurker, first time poster. Been reading CPF since I posted overseas in 2007. Decided to jump into the Malkoff camp. I didn't dip a toe in; I did a triple gainer with a nice cannonball at the end.

Last week I ordered a 4D Mag drop-in on July 29th. It came today, along with a handwritten note from Cathy. Very nice touch. I just finished putting away the dremel after cutting down the reflector. Very nice drop in! I can see the beam on the stucco of my house in full day light (in Arizona).

Why am I posting this in the Hound Dog thread? I ordered one the very next day after the Mag drop in. It arrives tomorrow - likely ahead of my batteries and charger. Sigh.

Told you I jumped in with style!

p.s. Also on the notify list for Wildcat. Will order one too when they are back in stock!

Got my Hound Dog s/n 0002 today in the mail. I ordered it with the MD3 sized host. What a great fit in my hand. After initial testing down in the basement I swapped it onto the MD4 host and the MD2 host, perfect fit, flawless operation. Here is my first video down in the basement of truth about 40 feet away from the back wall. I compared it to several other flashlights, mostly other Malkoffs. I would say it has the beam size of the original M60 but with double the intensity in the hot spot yet still has very good and useable spill. It has an excellent low mode also. So here the first video on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZb_-muvtw

I took it outside and compared to to the other lights and got a good feel for it. It basically has an very good hot spot with excellent spill. Funny short side story. I am standing in my drive way lighting up the trees and garages across the street (lots of houses here have a separate garage behind the house. So I can light up the garage without lighting up the home that people are in. Anyway a deer comes strolling down the street in to the side yard of the house across the street and I am going dang, I knew I should have set up the camera. The deer was either a fawn or a fairly young doe. Looked straight at me several time and just went back to her business of looking for something to eat. I hit her with the beam of each light I had and didn't faze her one bit. Several times she just stared at me and her eyes were lighting up a bright white. She finally just wandered off at her leisure.

I walked across the street and light up my own Garage which is behind my house with the various lights and got a really good feel for the brightness. So hopefully tomorrow night or soon, I will make video #2 showing the malkoff against my white Garage door versus other lights.

I know it washes things out in the video to some degree up close but you can really see that well defined spot clearly with your eyes. no rings, no artifacts, just a very well defined hot spot beam and then spill off to the sides. This light is a winner. I know that there will be a lot of LEO's out there who will want this kind of beam with the spill as a primary type light because they can still turn it down to low and do their paperwork all with the same light with a simple twist of the head.

I will eventually make a third video showing the fit in the hand with the MD2/3/4 hosts. It works well with all, for me the MD3 is an excellent fit. So more to come. I hope this initial video helps, I realize its limited in scope. I had to get something done the first night I had it.

Thanks for the great video.

I can't wait to get my Hound Dog this week!

Well done MrGman.

You can definitely see the hotspot intensity. When you go outdoors does it throw like the Solarforce 72mm bezel P7 light you have? Does it throw like the MC-E Mag from Nailbender?

Thanks,
    bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

A comparison with the Maelstrom G5 would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGman View Post
    Got my Hound Dog s/n 0002 today in the mail. I ordered it with the MD3 sized host. What a great fit in my hand. After initial testing down in the basement I swapped it onto the MD4 host and the MD2 host, perfect fit, flawless operation. Here is my first video down in the basement of truth about 40 feet away from the back wall. I compared it to several other flashlights, mostly other Malkoffs. I would say it has the beam size of the original M60 but with double the intensity in the hot spot yet still has very good and useable spill. It has an excellent low mode also. So here the first video on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZb_-muvtw

I took it outside and compared to to the other lights and got a good feel for it. It basically has an very good hot spot with excellent spill. Funny short side story. I am standing in my drive way lighting up the trees and garages across the street (lots of houses here have a separate garage behind the house. So I can light up the garage without lighting up the home that people are in. Anyway a deer comes strolling down the street in to the side yard of the house across the street and I am going dang, I knew I should have set up the camera. The deer was either a fawn or a fairly young doe. Looked straight at me several time and just went back to her business of looking for something to eat. I hit her with the beam of each light I had and didn't faze her one bit. Several times she just stared at me and her eyes were lighting up a bright white. She finally just wandered off at her leisure.

I walked across the street and light up my own Garage which is behind my house with the various lights and got a really good feel for the brightness. So hopefully tomorrow night or soon, I will make video #2 showing the malkoff against my white Garage door versus other lights.

I know it washes things out in the video to some degree up close but you can really see that well defined spot clearly with your eyes. no rings, no artifacts, just a very well defined hot spot beam and then spill off to the sides. This light is a winner. I know that there will be a lot of LEO's out there who will want this kind of beam with the spill as a primary type light because they can still turn it down to low and do their paperwork all with the same light with a simple twist of the head.

I will eventually make a third video showing the fit in the hand with the MD2/3/4 hosts. It works well with all, for me the MD3 is an excellent fit. So more to come. I hope this initial video helps, I realize its limited in scope. I had to get something done the first night I had it.

Good job gman, cant wait for the outdoor video.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Well done MrGman.

You can definitely see the hotspot intensity. When you go outdoors does it throw like the Solarforce 72mm bezel P7 light you have? Does it throw like the MC-E Mag from Nailbender?

Thanks,
    bigC

I gave that Solarforce light away to the people who hosted my wedding at their home. Its definitely better than the nailbender MC-E mag.

I didn't realize at the time how well the black cloth would help show the hot spot intensity in the video. Lights with lesser intensity really don't light up the black fabric but the Hound Diggity Dog does.

Its been raining out here today and is scheduled for lots more so I don't know when I will be able to get the outdoot shots done. Its not that the flashlight or I will melt in the rain, it comes down in buckets, it will just make for a lousy video, and the lightning never helps either.

But there will be more testing.

If some one wants to send me the Maelstrom G5 for a direct comparison I would certainly make a video on that, try to do both indoors and outdoor, but I am not up for buying one just to test it. I am sure we will figure something out over time.

Some Images for size comparison. Wildcat in MD4 host, Hound Dog in MD3 host M60 in MD3 host and M61 in MD2 host

Wildcat MD4 and Hound Dog MD3 next to a full size Glock 17 "Airsoft" training pistol for size comparisons.

The Wildcat is now in the MD3 host and the Hound Dog is in the MD2 host to show those size options next to the Full size Glock Airsoft pistol to help judge size. The Hound Dog will work very well in the MD2 with 2 RCR123 or 2 primary CR123s.
    Last edited by MrGman; 08-03-2010 at 05:51 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMhbT6LKLuI

While I am waiting for the proper weather. The size of the new Hound Dog versus other Malkoffs.

Very nice hands on comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6ibtObd_0

Got to do an outdoor video here in Iowa. The Malkoff Hound Dog compared to the Wildcat, M60, M61, an older single die LED (P4?) in a Maglight with the stock reflector, a Nailbender regulated MC-E in a maglite and a couple of incandescents, Surefire P91 and the Lumens Factory E09 that has been measured at about 270 lumens out the front in the past. These things look very dim at this range but I assure you they are not, the beam spread is just so much more wider and the lower color temp of the incan's makes them look like the batteries are 2/3rds dead but they are running at full power. Its of course a poor comparison to what the human eye sees but the video does show the stark contrast of this more centrally brighter beam to others even though 2 of them have about double the lumens output. I have to say this is a very useable beam pattern and intensity level but judge for yourself.

The new Hound Dog at the same distance as these other lights on the same garage door is simply much brighter. The beam really isn't all that much tighter than the original M60 but what I difference. In the video it looks like the M60 is on low or the batteries are dying but its at full power on fresh batteries. The Hound Dog simply puts out a lot more energy in to the main beam yet still has great useable spill. This thing looks like more than 325 lumens as well.

Anyway the cicada bugs are making a racket all over the place, nothing I can do to stop them. Not nice and quiet like San Jose California was, well except for big chelis saying just need to test "one more light" about every 6 minutes. Its about 122 feet from across the street to my garage behind the house where its nice and dark, no street light near my house. So the comparison of lights really worked out well.

Hope this helps. G.

Very useful video. That Hound Dog sure has a huge center beam, almost looks like the beam from an M4 (MN60) running three 18500's with most of the output in the center area. M4 might be brighter, but it is the concentration of center light that interests me, with some spill, but mostly center.

Bill

*Flashaholic*

Wow! That HD slaughters everything else. I realize the colors were a bit off and the intensity was off too but the relative lumens were amazing.

122ft = about 40 yards or 36m. Just amazing how it outperforms other lites.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Enlightened

That was one of the most useful flashlight related videos I have seen yet. Great job. Man, that makes me want this light even more.

Flashaholic*

MrGman,

Thanks for all the information, pictures and videos!
    However, it would be interesting to see some comparison to typhical throwers like for example, Tiablo A9. TK30 also would be nice to compare with. If not a video also a picture would be nice.

About the regulation: is the only difference between 2, 3 and 4 cells the runtime? In that case I guess that runtimes should be proportional to the numbers of cells?

Regards, Patric

Wow!! I'm glad mine shows up today, that video shows that the Hound Dog is the leader of that pack, all the others need to stay on the porch!!

thanks for the video--it was really helpful. now i'd love to see the hounddog compared to the new wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    MrGman,

Thanks for all the information, pictures and videos!
    However, it would be interesting to see some comparison to typhical throwers like for example, Tiablo A9. TK30 also would be nice to compare with. If not a video also a picture would be nice.

About the regulation: is the only difference between 2, 3 and 4 cells the runtime? In that case I guess that runtimes should be proportional to the numbers of cells?

Regards, Patric

If I had any of those other lights I would certainly include them, but I don't. Yes the only difference between 2, 3, and 4 cells for the Hound Dog would be changes in run time.

On a separate note, the youtube video is overall darker than the original. I noticed this on the last 2 videos I uploaded that the contrast in the on line video is greater and some of the things that are dark but visible in the original are almost black or are black in this one.

The M61 module for instance shows up in the original video lighting up the garage wall. In the youtube version of the video its like its not even on. Nothing I can do about it but complain.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by funkymonkey1111 View Post
    thanks for the video--it was really helpful. now i'd love to see the hounddog compared to the new wildcat
    I'll compare it to my V2 Wildcat just as soon as the worthless postal service hustles my package along.

Things seem to reach the border here very fast, then inexplicably things turn into molasses. With my luck someone else will be comparing them before mine even gets here..

MrGman it could be worth a try uploading to viddler or yfrog instead - I think their compression algorithms aren't as horrible as youtube but I could be wrong.

Number 0018 showed up bright and early this morning. All I can add to the reviews is WOW!!!!!!

*Flashaholic*

Heads up.

The first Hound Dog to be re-sold (#13) is on the marketplace right now!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by donn_ View Post
    Heads up.

Is it bad that I'm tempted to buy before the one I ordered myself has even arrived?

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Is it bad that I'm tempted to buy before the one I ordered myself has even arrived?
    Yes it is! You're not enlightened, you're a full-blown flashaholic!

Man.... The reflector Gene chose for the Hound Dog is awesome! I might succumb myself and end up having to buy one soon.

Heads up.

So at least 1 out of every 13 buyers doesn't like it.

The Maelstrom G5 is the real competition for this light. I'd love to see a comparison to the G5

Quote Originally Posted by MrGman View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6ibtObd_0

Got to do an outdoor video here in Iowa. The Malkoff Hound Dog compared to the Wildcat, M60, M61, an older single die LED (P4?) in a Maglight with the stock reflector, a Nailbender regulated MC-E in a maglite and a couple of incandescents, Surefire P91 and the Lumens Factory E09 that has been measured at about 270 lumens out the front in the past. These things look very dim at this range but I assure you they are not, the beam spread is just so much more wider and the lower color temp of the incan's makes them look like the batteries are 2/3rds dead but they are running at full power. Its of course a poor comparison to what the human eye sees but the video does show the stark contrast of this more centrally brighter beam to others even though 2 of them have about double the lumens output. I have to say this is a very useable beam pattern and intensity level but judge for yourself.

The new Hound Dog at the same distance as these other lights on the same garage door is simply much brighter. The beam really isn't all that much tighter than the original M60 but what I difference. In the video it looks like the M60 is on low or the batteries are dying but its at full power on fresh batteries. The Hound Dog simply puts out a lot more energy in to the main beam yet still has great useable spill. This thing looks like more than 325 lumens as well.

Anyway the cicada bugs are making a racket all over the place, nothing I can do to stop them. Not nice and quiet like San Jose California was, well except for big chelis saying just need to test "one more light" about every 6 minutes. Its about 122 feet from across the street to my garage behind the house where its nice and dark, no street light near my house. So the comparison of lights really worked out well.

Hope this helps. G.

Heads up.

why are you selling it?

Unenlightened

Hound Dog 0015 with the MD4 arrived just a few minutes ago. I'm looking forward to trying it later tonight, if the monsoon lets up. I'll also give it a try with my MD2.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Sotone View Post
    Hound Dog 0015 with the MD4 arrived just a few minutes ago. I'm looking forward to trying it later tonight, if the monsoon lets up. I'll also give it a try with my MD2.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Same here less the monsoon. #4 just came to the door. Awaiting darkness .....
    ....."Happy Landings".....

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast