Looking for a new EDC...

eightbitpotion

Newly Enlightened
Okay so I've had tons of cheaper flashlights, and currently use a Coast Lenser T7, but there are a few things I don't like about it- for starters it's huge due to the 4x AAA batteries, secondly the speedfocus is awesome even though I rarely utilize it, but when it's on spot there isn't any useful spill, also after break-in, the speedfocus drops to flood setting due to gravity when placed head down.

I'm looking for something with a clip, tough, bright enough where I don't feel like I'm downgrading, and mostly very very reliable. In the back of my mind this light may save my life one day (theoretically), and I don't want a glass of water or a 1m drop to make it explode. :rolleyes:

Really like the style and features of the Fenix TK12, and seems to fit everything except it's still kinda big, and I'm not sure how well that'd sit clipped in my pocket.

Deree's C2H looks appealing, but I worry about the power and that clip.... can't find how reliable it is.

Surefire is kinda expensive and I've heard a lot of mixed reviews (specifically on price and power consumption). I'm wanting something that I can use for hours and hours on a mid-level (50-100lums).

Obviously I've been lurking CPF for a few weeks looking for something, but ultimately here I am asking it- anything that I'm overlooking as far as a great EDC that compares and outperforms my Lenser T7?

If I want to go cave exploring at 3am, this will be my go to light in all of those random situations. I think that sums up what I'm looking for.

Thanks a bunch!

BarryG

Enlightened
:welcome:
How about a Quark AA Regular? My wife loves hers and you an select what level of brightness or runtime you want and uses AA's that you can find anywhere. Sturdy clip.

What batteries do you want to use?

Barry

eightbitpotion

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:
How about a Quark AA Regular? My wife loves hers and you an select what level of brightness or runtime you want and uses AA's that you can find anywhere. Sturdy clip.

What batteries do you want to use?

Barry

I don't care, if it's lithium I'll buy them in bulk thanks to the 10 year shelf-life, but if it's alkaloids I can buy what I need. Obviously I've never had a lithium-based torch, so I may not know what I'm missing. One of my HUGE pet-peeves is having to cycle through levels.... quark looks great actually, especially the tacticals. Are they pretty tough?

FlameOn

Enlightened
I just spent the better part of July looking for a new EDC.....I finally decided on a 2XCR123. (I like the 10 year life and as said, batteries are pretty cheap now). It's a bit larger than most EDCs but I keep an ITP A3 on me at all times anyway....after reading what the members here had to say, I went for this one...should be here in a few day...:)

http://flashlightsngear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_13&products_id=11

TwitchALot

Enlightened
I don't care, if it's lithium I'll buy them in bulk thanks to the 10 year shelf-life, but if it's alkaloids I can buy what I need. Obviously I've never had a lithium-based torch, so I may not know what I'm missing. One of my HUGE pet-peeves is having to cycle through levels.... quark looks great actually, especially the tacticals. Are they pretty tough?

If you're really going to start to get into these kind of lights, you may want to seriously consider switching to rechargeable Eneloops, particularly as the latest generation Eneloops are starting to appear on US shelves. You can run lithiums (although you can't recharge primaries), but alkalines aren't recommended unless you're running lower modes only... and you don't plan on storing it for a while (leaking batteries = bad). But yeah, Quarks are pretty reliable.

What you have to watch out for are loosening tailcap retaining rings (you can loosen it, loctite the threads a bit, and then tighten it back down to reduce the odds of this happening) and dirty contact surfaces. But it's not an issue limited to Quarks, so if you take care of your Quarks and maintain them, yes, they will be reliable.

As for mode switching, you can easily access the highest and lowest modes with a standard Quark pretty easily. If you want to get into other modes you'll have to cycle (if you want medium, you'll have to turn it on at the lowest mode and cycle through low to get to medium), but if you absolutely hate this, you can get a tactical and program two modes. But of course, then you only have easy access to two modes instead of all of them. YMMV depending on your preferences. Good luck with your search!

BarryG

Enlightened
The Quarks come with a 10yr warranty. From my experiences, they have stood behind the warranty. Others have gave plenty of feedback in the "Cheers" section for 4sevens if you want to check it out.
The AA Quark can use any AA size batt. Alkies, Ni-Mh, Lithium, and 14500 Lithium Ion. The good thing about that is you can always find batts somewhere.
I also have a Quark 123x2 that I run on 17670.
They have 5 modes plus the blinkies but are easy to get used to. If you ant only 2 modes, check out the tactical version.

There are lots of options, these are just my choices on what you are describing. Lots of info on here just do a few searches and you will be as confused as ever!!!:ohgeez:

Good luck

Barry

red02

Enlightened
Really like the style and features of the Fenix TK12, and seems to fit everything except it's still kinda big, and I'm not sure how well that'd sit clipped in my pocket...........

I guarantee you will be surprised how small the light actually is. Just looking at pictures of it online doesn't give you a real sense of size. Just be sure to get it at a place that has a good returns policy.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD 30 is small portable, 240 lumens and uses to cr123 batteries. So almost as bright as the TK11 I have but half as wide (tk11 is 285Lumens)
The PD30 throws pritty good and is easyto use settings.
Twist bezel to change brighteness and feather the tail button to strobe.